LSU/Charles Scott

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 24, 2009.

1. downtown

downtown Founding Member

I agree that the running game was still pathetic last night and that was really surprising to me. But it was apparent to me that Auburn was locking in on Scott and the running game. I think they thought that if they could shut down the run, they could win it or be in it at the end. I think they kind of challenged us to throw and we did with success.

I don't don't think people are really trying to dump on Charles Scott. He was the hero in the Georgia game and we might not be sitting as pretty if he wouldn't have had that awesome run. He's the ultimate team player too. People are just trying to get at what will work. I've been saying for a while now that Scott hasn't been coming out the backfield near as fast as he did earlier in his career and in the beginning of last year. That's just my opinion. I don't know if it's weight gain or maybe some type of nagging injury that he might be playing with. Our O-line is obviously the biggest problem in the running game. But you really have to hit the hole fast (if there is one) and it's not working out right now. He can still have some big plays for us, but they need to disguise stuff a little better. He's not going to run people over if he doesn't have enough steam coming out the backfield and I think we've seen that this year.

I still think we run much better out of the shotgun and should do that against Bama. I believe Shep's TD was a shotgun handoff as well.

As for Shep., he didn't do anything on those other carries. BUT...he made most forget about those other plays with that long TD. They said the dude reaches max speed in no time and they weren't kidding. He's a "take it to the house" threat and that's what our running game has not had. He had our longest offensive play of the year and the longest run since 2007.

I do worry about possible fumbles againt teams like Bama, etc., since he's young and not a huge guy. But you've gotta get the home run threat in there against the big boys because the payoff is not big enough to keep continually doing the other stuff all the time. Especially not against a team like Bama. We'll move backwards doing that.

2. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

shovel pass

3. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

You call me a negative person then go on to say I should be polite and you await my rude response... nice, makes sense, NOT.

Yes you are delusional.
    That play didn't even work last year if you actually watched the games... it worked against mostly the non-conference fluff teams in the first few weeks. The truth is exactly what I said before this season started... it isn't going to work game in and game out... if it did every team would be doing it.

The fans are delusional that it worked last year let alone it working this year.

Let me see it's was the offensive line last year too? No, that play simple is not going to be your bread and butter in the SEC, now if you want to continue to schedule BFE colleges... sure it will probably work against them that only have 240lb. defensive linemen... it isn't going to work in the SEC game in and game out.

My proof... two seasons of seeing this team hitting it head against the wall. It was obvious by the 5th game last year that it was basically over.

As far as Scott, I think he plays hard and is a strong guy, and he seems to really want to win... that is good... the bad part is he has limited ability as a RB.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Yes, and did you happen to notice Shepard was put in at running back? Kind of different, eh? He busted a 69-yard run on the same inside counter play. It ain't the play, it's the execution. The OL made the blocks and the RB hit the hole. We need more of this, not less of it.

We cannot abandon the running game just because some fans are disgruntled. We must be balanced or we can be stopped. We must also be able to run the ball and control the time of possession to protect a lead. The opponent can't score if he can't get the ball back.

The running game must be perfected, not abandoned.

5. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Shovel pass, hoe pass, rake pass, you know what I mean. :D

6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

at least you wont sound like a fool anymore after 20 years of calling it a shuffle pass.

7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Is that all it will take, I can't wait to tell my wife the good news.

8. ThePhenom74

ThePhenom74 Founding Member

Wow, we are in full agreement here!

Like I said you have to be able to run the ball against a great D. You that balance or at least some semblance of a threat. I also agree it doesnt matter who is back there, if the blocks arent there no yards will be made. Which Ive been saying, I think Scott has done well when they actually do make their blocks.

I do agree with Izzy though in that I think we do need to add a bit more of a spread like attack. With some misdirection to try to make up for the poor blocking. I was happy to see Shepard in there more. I would like to see him get more time at WR as well.

9. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

The one game I thought Scott was been affective they stop using him... Florida... no he wasn't getting huge gains but he was get 3-4 yards and I think that over the period of the game it would have help in the end results.

Scott has power and heart, Williams has speed on the outside pitches... neither has good vision.

I don't look at it as either run Scott up the middle or don't run at all. I actually think the OL has been doing a pretty good job the last 2-3 weeks. The teams are clogging up the middle, Scott simply doesn't have the ability to see the daylight around the edges and have the speed to get there.

I wouldn't even mind seeing Ridley get some action... is he getting a medical redshirt?

To be honest anyone you have at RB is going to have trouble... every team has been playing the run since about the 4th game last year. Until you make team after team pay for loading up then the running game is going to be spotty at best. IMHO.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

cs is too slow--atleast for this OL. is he slower than last year? probably not. but history has also proven that a good back one year does not equal a good back next year (vincent).

you do not have to run the ball to be a good O. hopefully this wont cause the downfall of LSU or clm.