LSU/Charles Scott

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Oct 24, 2009.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

What i saw was Charles Scott's lack of vision. If there isn't a big hole, Charles will just run into the pile and try to move it. Charles is a 3rd down and short situational back. Our line is not creating big holes, which is why Trindon and Shep are doing well in runs off tackle. Did you see the hole Shep hit? Scott wouldn't have even fit in that hole, much less gotten to it before it broke down. I love Charles Scott, but our offensive line is not doing him any favors, so i agree with the original poster, because our O Line is not creating big holes, i think we need to stick with the smaller guys in the backfield unless we get 3rd or 4th and short.

1 person likes this.
  2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I was reading through the whole thread, hoping I would be the first person to say that. The hole that Shep hit was TINY, and even he barely fit through it. I don't think OL was blocking any better on that play than they had all night, with the exception of the Dworazchik/Dworassic down field block that Red mentioned earlier.

3. LSU-SIU

LSU-SIU Founding Member

Sorry for derailing this thread but since Shepard was brought up... the guy looks pretty small to me... is 6'1 correct?

4. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I agree.

5. NELA_Tigerfan

NELA_Tigerfan When's kickoff?

Mmmm, yeah you do if you want to hang with the good defenses. You don't HAVE to run out of the I though.

See first half of the Saints game yesterday about what happens when you abandon the run. You just have to keep the D honest, but teams HAVE to respect the pass for it to be effective.

6. bmy-

bmy- Founding Member

He's right at 6'0, I believe. 6'0 188 lbs. He'll be up around 200 next year and durable enough to see meaningful snaps at RB. If we don't land Seastrunk I think it's a very real possibility that he's moved to RB.

As to his run.. there was no real hole, he found a stitch and pulled.. and the rest is history.

7. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

youre right. i wasnt clear enough. you dont have to run to set up the pass, you dont have to run from the I, and you dont have to be able to get a yard or two when the D knows you are going to run (4th down, goal line.).

8. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

Exactly. That is just not who we are this year, and we need to embrace it instead of trying to force a square peg into a round hole. We took major strides to that end Saturday, but we aren't quite there yet.

9. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

But not any of it with Scott.

With Shepard, of course! With Holliday. All day.

Not with Scott. That dead horse is....well.....dead.

10. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

As the season has progressed, I'll have to agree. A bull-dozing back like Scott is most effective when he's running behind a dominant OLine that's capable of firing off the ball and pushing linemen backwards.

This year, be it the 2 new starters right in the middle of the line or the departed talent or the combination of both, they are simply not opening up holes for Scott.

It's a shame, too. Scott came back for "unfinished business" and a chance to "right the ship" from a disappointing season a year ago. But I don't care if Scott's 232 lbs. He's still NOT going to win battles running right into 300 lbs. Dlinemen who have a head of steam.

I also think the injury to Richard Murphy hurts because Murphy has that "slashing" capabilities that could have been effective; the shiftiness of Holiday/Shep...guess we'll have to wait another year for that though.

But I agree, our linemen lack the "smashmouth" capabilities. Time to go "zone block" and use faster/quicker runners.