LSU Concerned About Pace of Stadium Construction

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by BB, Apr 6, 2005.

1. BB

BB Founding Member

My good buddy and I sat in The Box for the baseball opener in early February and stared for hours at the construction going on at Tiger Stadium...

We said things like "there is no way in hell they have it ready" and "it's not possible - this is going to be a zoo."

I was excited about baseball, but Tiger Stadium had all of my attention that night. Well, I dismissed my concern on account of my limited construction knowledge, but it now appears that I may have been right. The National Media has wind of it now so I guess it's no secret - this is going to be a stinking mess. It is what it is...

LSU worried about pace of work on new upper deck

April 6, 2005
    SportsLine.com wire reports

BATON ROUGE, La. -- A little less than five months from LSU's Sept. 3 football season opener with North Texas, the new $60 million west upper deck of Tiger Stadium is a stunted collection of concrete pillars and exposed construction material.

"We are concerned," LSU associate athletic director Herb Vincent said. "We have been concerned from the start. But we have been assured by the contractors that the west upper deck will be (usable) by the first game."

Although LSU officials have maintained the deck would be ready by the season opener, Vincent said it is likely the finishing touches will be applied to the deck well into the season. Fans are likely to have to reach west side seats through pathways cut into the construction zone, as they did last season. And the possibility exists that some seats won't be ready, at least for the opening game.

"We hope not," Vincent said. "But one of the scenarios we're facing is that part of the upper deck could be closed off. But it's too early to know that."

Vincent said LSU doesn't have any contingencies now for how to cope with an incomplete west upper deck.

"But it would be remiss of us not to be ready for things like that," Vincent said. "The number one concern is safety. If there are seats that are not ready, or if something is not approved by the fire marshal, we will err on the side of safety."

Full Article

2. TigersSmack

TigersSmack Freshman

Superdome is all I can think of

3. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Well I guess someones brother well get the new contract. I mean come on I remember when I was a kid I-12 taking like what 10 years to finish. Would you expect anything else.

I friend of mine has some arial pictures of the stadium just dont have a site to post them on anyone lend a hand.

4. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

5. Crip*TEAM KATT

Crip*TEAM KATT As Wild As We Wanna Be

Yeah but they suck and its about 5 pictures brett might get mad at posting that many pics and not the link to a site for them.

6. Thorny

Thorny Founding Member

Lets see, Tiger Stadium without the West Deck seats around 80,000 and the Superdome holds around 77,000. No advantage to going there, even considering the construction woes. It will be a mess, and LSU may have to refund some tickets, but the only choice would be to cancel a game--I don't see that happening.

The biggest problem would be if the press box cannot be occupied--there isn't an option. I suspect that the main structural construction will be completed, and then they will focus on the press box.

Crossing my fingers.

GEAUX TIGERS

7. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

You can link to them.

I just uploaded this one from my computer.

http://img197.exs.cx/my.php?loc=img197&image=10000254ri.jpg :wink:

8. SabanFan

SabanFan The voice of reason

Smartass.
    Got one of your national championship rings?

9. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Nope wasn't a player.

But I have plenty of SEC Champ, and Perfect Season stuff! :thumb:

I was actually just trying to be helpful with him posting pictures of ya'lls stadium. But I couldn't resist a little jab with the link! Figured I owed ya'll a couple after all the things I take.

10. LSUGradin99

LSUGradin99 I Bleedeth Purple 'N Gold

The score is wrong in that linked picture. It was never 10-9. It was 9-9 at end of regulation. Then LSU went on to win 15-12 in OT. You aubbies will photochop anything won't ya!?