LSU Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by lsu_buzz, Oct 8, 2003.

1. lsu_buzz

lsu_buzz Founding Member

After suffering through most of the '90s (especially during the Lou Tepper years), I think this is the best defense I've seen since Arnsparger.

I remember some great goal line stands when I attended games as a student in the late '80s. I expect to see the same on Saturday. I think our offense is really good, but combined with this defense, I think LSU will win big.

I'd be interested in hearing everyone's assessment of this defense compared to past LSU's teams.

2. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

I think you are wrong.....LSU's defense wont be in any goal line situations this saturday. :D

Seriously, I think this is the best defense I have seen at LSU since I became a fan (when I decided to attend) in the late 90s. Granted that hasnt been very long, but I have been very impressed with these guys so far. I dont know if it is Saban or Muschamp, but Sabans defenses at LSU have been outstanding, and they keep getting better. I really like the personnel moves for this season. We have guys at LB that are converted safeties, safeties and CB's that are converted WR's, and almost every DB has played both CB and either SS or FS. This makes our defense very tough to identify because so many players can play multiple roles.

3. donut2001

donut2001 Founding Member

defense

This years defense is better than last years, but only because of the offense. I think last year the defense held us in games as long as they could, but when the offense never produced and/or Randall threw interceptions, the defense tired. That happened the entire second half of the season. Combined with the loss of Damien and injuries, the fact that the defense had so much playing time crippled them. I think at full strength, with this years, or 2001's offense, that defense is better overall. That being said, the freshman have been amazing this year, I never thought our pass defense would hold a candle to most teams because of thier inexperience. With all the playing time at so many different positions for so many players, this years defense, if not ravaged by injuries, has the potential to even rival the best ever at LSU.

Thats some if's, but speed is the key. With offensive lines getting bigger and bigger, Saban has created an advantage through speed, much like the Tampa Bay Bucs defense of past years. The defense can make up for mistakes with speed and stop plays quickly through reaction time and instincts. I can remember visions of every game this season where we call a safety,corner, or linebacker blitz and he's in the pocket before the quarterback is half-way into his drop.

:geaux: If the linebackers step up against the run a little more, this defense plays with anyone.