LSU Fan Behavior

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

Let me start out by saying I know I'm a visitor here and I hope this post is taken in a positive way. I AM NOT bashing LSU fans in general. I continue to see threads here about Auburn fans whining about incidents at games in BR. And polls here show that LSU now dislikes Auburn about as much as Ole Miss. It seems a lot of this is due to LSU fan's dislike of Tuberville but regardless it is becoming of concern to me. A recent poll on the Auburn board I frequent most (and some here do also) showed that Auburn fans now dislike LSU by a two to one margin over the hated bammers. This was a huge surprise to me since I definitely don't feel that way. I dislike bama by a ten to one margin over LSU. But my point is that the dislike is becoming a two way street and is escalating. As Brett said recently, we need to do anything possible to stop it and tone down the actions of our small percentage of fans who cause the trouble. But I am also troubled by the fact that a lot of you here just don't think a problem exists and it's just Auburn fans who are whining. To that end, I wanted to post an excerpt of a message from an LSU official following the LSU-Gerogia game in 2003. The article was on LSU sports.net. Here goes and I quote:

"Certainly 99% of our fans are great, loyal and enthusiastic supporters who represent the University with pride and share the spirit of sportsmanship. These fans support the Tigers with great fervor, and they respect fellow Tiger fans and visiting fans as well. It's that other 1% of the fans who can ruin the reputation of our entire institution. As I said last week, there were approximately 115,000 fans on campus for the LSU vs. Georgia game. Consider that 1% of 115,000 is over 1100 people who throw things about, are inebriated,, obnoxious, or otherwise disruptive, and can make a visit to Tiger Stadium miserable for our fans or visitors to our campus. we have a diverse group of people who attend LSU football games, and we'll never solve all of our problems. But I implore those who share LSU's sense of sportsmanship and pride to report to authorities when you see something amiss. Join me and stand up against behavior you know is wrong. The LSU campus is our neighborhood on game days, and I'm asking you to participate in our version of a neighborhood watch program.

There was no reason why a young Georgia man should have had to spend the entire game at the hospital after the port-o-let he was in was toppled and then he was punched when he emerged.

There was no reason why a University of Georgia administrator should have been hit by a mud ball just because she was wearing Georgia colors.

There was no reason why a Georgia couple should have had to return to their car to find the hood dented and theri Georgia flag burned and lying in a ditch.

There was no reason a young Georgia woman and other people should have been subjected to some very lewd comments as they entered the stadium.

These reports are NOT just form visiting fans. There is no reason why LSU fans and their young children should be subjected to obscenities and vulgar gestures while enjoying the game. There was no reason why a 4 year old boy (LSU fan) should have been hit in the face with a cup of ice tossed from the upper deck.

People tell me kids will be kids and you'll never solve all the problems. No but we are going to try.

This wasn't an Auburn guy writing. It wasn't even Auburn fans involved. And the article was written by..........LSU Athletic Director Skip Bertman.

The only point of all this is to:
    1. Help ya'll see that the negative stuff isn't just coming from Auburn fans.
    2. Implore all of us to help improve the actions of our fans and the relations between our schools. I damn sure don't want Auburn fans hating LSU more than they do the bammers :) :) :)

2. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

A couple of quick reactions to this post:

1. I agree with what was said regarding the "troublesome 1%", as I do with the "neighborhood watch" idea. It may be easy for me to type this, sitting some 500 miles from Tiger Stadium and behind a keyboard, but I sure as he** wouldn't sit or stand idly by if I saw some LSU "fan" abusing a visiting fan (and I don't consider having to hear "Tiger Bait" some ten thousand times to be abuse).

I'll go even further and say that most of us in that 99% majority of well-behaved fans wouldn't stand idly by, either.

2. Yes, many LSU fans hate Tubby, but I get annoyed at AU fans because---8 times out of 10, it seems, that I read some "horrible LSU fan" post---IT'S AN AUBURN FAN MAKING THE ACCUSATIONS!!!

Sure, I've heard some tales of Oklahoma fans being mistreated (and, for the record, I think it unfair to tar all LSU fans with the same brush that weekend. There were hundereds if not thousands of LSU "fans", members of the bandwagon as of the SEC Championship Game, in New Orleans around gameday), and now Georgia, but I don't hear nearly as much crying/pissing/moaning out of fans of our OTHER opponents as I do from you WDE types.

Why is that?

3. Proud Tiger

TexasTijer.....I can only conclude that you are hearing it from the 1% of our fans, some of which are victims. So hopefully it's 1% each way and surely the other 99% of us can put a dent in that? By the way, I only made this post after reading another post here about "See the Influence Auburn Fans have.....". It's like some LSU fans only hear comments from Auburn fans and think it's Auburn fans influencing other school's fans. In the post I made above it's Georgia fans involved.

4. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Start with that coach of yours, you know ... the clown with the giant ears ... the one who lets his thugs smoke cigars and stomp the eye of the Tiger ... the one who's hearing the last laugh come from the real Tigers

Why don't you improve the actions of that clown Tubberville ... :lol:

No one here cares who a second rate University like Auburn hates or loves. Go ahead and hate Alabama ... might as well get a good start ... after 2005 Auburn won't win games regularly in that series because Alabama will be back and regularly kicking Auburn's butt.

You are transparent with your Skip Bertman quotes. Nothing you can print here can detract from the fact that you obviously hate LSU and are envious of our NC. There are **** heads and criminals out in every college sports event, from drug dealers to vandals, Auburn is as bad as the rest ... I've been offered Cocaine for sale at Auburn games ... I don't go to Auburn forums complaining about it ... go fly a kite

5. BB

BB Founding Member

Firstly, many of the stories about misconduct in Tiger Stadium and on the LSU campus on game weekends are insanely exaggerated – it seems that it’s now “cooler” than ever before to share inflated horror stories if you are an LSU opponent.

In all honesty, LSU collectively has the BEST fans in all of sports and unfortunately has some of the WORST individual fans in college football. When all of the fans get together I sometimes get to see and experience the conduct of both groups. Some of the most deplorable and despicable acts I have ever witnessed in my entire life have been on a Saturday in Baton Rouge before or after a football game. I would never want to be anything other than an LSU fan, but I’m being honest in saying that we have some awful fans and I hope that they will always be overshadowed by the great Tiger Fans who occupy 99% of the campus on game days.

I have been to every SEC School to attend an LSU Football game with the exception of Vanderbilt and Arkansas and I have never been treated as badly as I have seen some LSU “fans” treat opposing fans in BR. I know very good and well that these are isolated incidents and the trashy individuals who create these situations are not an accurate representation of LSU Fans. I would hope and ask that LSU fans do or say something when you see these few individuals doing inappropriate things to visitors or anyone else or their private property.

As for Auburn, the hate relationship is founded almost completely on several of the MOST CLASSLESS ACTS BY A COLLEGE FOOTBALL COACH AND TEAM IN RECENT HISTORY.

1. Tubberville allows his kids to stomp on the Tiger logo BEFORE kickoff in Tiger Stadium. Really think about this for a moment. I have never seen a more despicable display of classlessness in college football in my life.

2. The punk kicker who decided it was his right to TAKE A SWING AT A MEMBER OF THE TIGER BAND IN TIGER STADIUM DURING THE CONCLUSION OF THE HALFTIME SHOW - the kid was in the band.

3. The cigar smoking in Tiger Stadium – I can’t even think about this one without getting angry.

4. This might just be me, but the love affair and suckfest that Auburn fans have entered into with USC makes me vomit – this is unbelievable to me. It’s a relationship created by pure jealousy.

Good, wholesome rivalries are founded on a mutual respect. Bad, hate-filled rivalries, like the one brewing between Auburn and LSU are often founded on classless behavior, lack of honor and sportsmanship, pure jealousy and COACHES WHO NOT ONLY ENDORSE AND ENABLE IT, BUT PARTAKE IN IT LIKE A 5 YEAR OLD CHILD. Auburn and Tubberville at this moment in time are classless in the eyes of many LSU fans because of their behavior on the field before, during and after football games. It’s difficult to respect the Auburn fans and supporters when the Auburn team and coaches can’t even respect our team and coaches between the white lines.

Respect = Good Rivalry
    Disrespect = Hatred

MEET US HALF WAY...

6. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

1% of 92,600 is 926 people. That weekend (Georgia), there were over 200,000 fans reported on campus for that game. Mix 200,000 people tailgating for at least 4-6 hours before the game and you will have a problem anywhere.

Now, this does not make this right, but it is inevitable at any school for a big football game. Hell, in West Virginia they riot and burn things after big wins.

Skip Bertman is on a crusade (a good one too) to try and "clean up" LSU's fan reputation. I garuantee you you will have more interactions with the 99% of great LSU fans on any given home game date versus the one percent....but please do not point this phenomenon squarely on LSU..it is everywhere. If anything you have to give LSU and Skip props for admitting we had unruley fan behavior that weekend and trying to put a stop to it.

To your hatred of Auburn point, that comes along with both the teams being relatively good in the 1990s. Hatred for an opposing team is good, makes the game that much more exiting. I personally hate Florida much more then Ole Miss and Auburn, but Auburn is tied with Ole miss for second without a doubt.

7. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

8. DeafValleyBatnR

DeafValleyBatnR Founding Member

Its not 1% of your fans bitching its more like 80% bitching we hear it every year all year over and over and over and over again. We will always call you Tiger Bait and we will always Harass you coming out of the Staduim after a win so dont ever come back if you dont like to get harassed after all that WAR EAGLE Crap ya'll put out before the game. Go to your car and leave be very very very quiet and leave.

I was in Blackburg for the VT game and got harased after we lost and just kept walking ( well I might have said something like Johnning come Latley) and got in my car and left. Auburn fans should learn from my Wisdom. But since ya'll have been more competitive with LSU since the mid 80's your freakin Mouths are overloading your BUTTS and LSU is the King again and you can't handle the truth that you are a second rate Tiger and a second rate TEAM to LSU.

By the way it aint real nice leaving the Swamp when you get your Butt handed to ya but you walk to your car and leave very very very very quite

9. JETigER

JETigER Founding Member

the georgia man was not punched when he emerged from the port a potty.

this post has lies in it.

10. Proud Tiger

I agree with you statement that LSU has some of the BEST and some of the worst fans (the 1%) but I made that post on another board one time and LSU folks there jumped all over me. I meant it as a compliment.

I obviously can't change Tuberville or past incidents on both sides. Hopefully tubs will control things better in the future. But if your wife had to experience vulgsr comments as she tried to board the team bus wouldn't you want a little payback to? Anyhow enough........I will be more than happy to meet you half way. That's exactly what I am TRYING to do now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.