LSU Fan Behavior

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Proud Tiger, Jun 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HueyLongball

HueyLongball Freshman

Oh, you are fully aware of the lovefest - you read the internet boards don't you? Did you see the twinkle in Tubby's little eyes when he talks about USC and how great they were.

2. Proud Tiger

Proud Tiger Founding Member

I challenge you to find a single post on WEN where I said anything derogatory about an LSU visitor. And as far as my post here always being about LSU fans, I invite you to go back to last Fall and review my posts. I even met a couple of guys from on here before the game, tailgated with some great LSU people, and wrote a very complimentary post about my trip after the game.

3. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

yes but your whining overwhelms any false face you've tried to use to establish your goodwill. now please find your pacifier then get your diapers and go home....before I throw my whiskey bottle at you. thanks.

4. turbotiger

turbotiger Founding Member

Is this dude for real?

there are no bad fans at auburn you can fix? I think there are PLENTY and and it seems that until you fix them you shouldn't be on here saying all of this. you are a hypocrite.

you are a nutcase. you're obsessed. you should make a "bad LSU fan behavior" commercial where you see some poor 80 year old and her 6 month old grandson (auburn fans) having "TigerBait! yelled at them, and then they pan the camera over to you and your shedding a tear like the indian on the old littering commercials.

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You hear a lot about bad LSU fan behavior on the Auburn boards. Rarely from anywhere else. It all stems from the 2001 game when the AU team incited the Tiger Stadium crowd with the logo stomping penalty and fighting with Tiger Band. And later some angry LSU fans overreacted after the game by harassing some Auburn fans. There have never been much in the way of trouble either before or after that game. But there have been a lot of ridiculous rumors, some true, but many of them untrue.

TRUE

LSU fans chant the TIGERBAIT taunt incessantly. It's supposed to annoy the opponent, just like the Tennessee band playing Rocky Top 600 times a game. It's supposed to be a good natured taunt. Laid back opponents just smile and ignore it, opponents with swagger chant a counter-taunt right back. Both are OK with Tiger fans. But we don't understand timid fans who feel THREATENED by it. We don't actually feed fans to the tiger.

Many Tigerfans use profanity. This is a real problem. I'm not talking about "Go to hell, Ole Miss". F*ck you, Wh*re, A**hole, and such are fighting words and people DO feel threatened by them. I once thought this was just a problem with some animal house fraternities, but there seems to be a lot of animal house graduates carrying-on too. Joe Dean banned "Tiger Rag" for eight years because of the "A**hole, A**hole" chant from the student section. Now they've started it up again and we can probably expect another ban of our blasted fight song! It's hard to tell somebody how they should speak, but something should be done.

Tigerfans drink before and during games. I'd say half of the crowd has at least one drink on gameday. Most don't overdo it, they won't let staggering drunks into the stadium. Obviously there are some who drink to excess and a few of them become swaggering pr!cks. The cops arrest dozens of such fans outside every game. But stories of drunken grandmothers hurling whiskey bottles at cheerleaders are just urban myths.

FALSE

Visiting fans often fear for their lives. People who truly fear for their lives call the police. Many fans carry cellphones and there are dozens of emergency call boxes all over campus. The police haven't reported calls from people fearing for their lives on gameday. It's mostly just the petty thefts and vandalisms that big campuses in big cities get every day. Urban myth.

Whiskey bottles, beer cans, urine, etc. are thrown on visitors. Bottles and cans aren't allowed in Tiger Stadium. Since 9/11 even purses are searched, so these projectiles just aren't available. Does some popcorn and ice get thrown? Probably so in any stadium. Urine? Give me a break -- urban myth. The cops are extremely aggressive in tossing anybody caught throwing anything, even a beach ball.

Police in Tiger Stadium ignore abuses. Nonsense. The security guards and the police agressively eliminate people who throw things, people who threaten, and even people who are rude to their neighbors. Fights only happen in the LSU student section and the students are across the stadium from the visitors. There is a guard and a cop for every section in the house. This is a controlled crowd.

Just my opinion, but I think the only thing we have to apologise for are those rowdy fans who take their smack-talking over the line. They don't actually hurt anybody but their vulgarities are taken as threats and cruelty by visiting fans. We should self-police this and call in the cops whenever we see it happen.

But if they get their feelings hurt by hearing TIGERBAIT 500 times, then they are just weenie fans who should stay home. :geauxtige

6. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I think BB and red summed up my feelings pretty well. However, as Saban continues to elevate our program to national prominence, I think that 1% may be growing. Many fans go to BR just for the party on gameday. With a top 10 team, there have been bigger and better parties lately. I don't think anything is wrong with Skip's efforts because I want opposing fans to have a good time in BR before going home. Sometimes you have to be proactive before the problem gets worse. I will agree that Auburn fans have spread the exaggerations of the 2001 game to internet boards everywhere. We've had two years of good relations since and it's time to move on. Got it?

7. Bama My Heart

Bama My Heart Founding Member

Auburn needs to look within

Auburn has a fit if anyone goes onto their field after the game...but look what they do:
    1. Bama....Tubby planted a flag midfield last year in Tuscaloosa after they beat us. Many times their fans have abused our players on our bus...then Tubby was scared in Baton Rouge...he should be.
    2. LSU...some players smoked cigars midfield after they beat LSU one year
    3. Georgia....they turned the hoses on the Ga. fans, and then went to Ga. and messed up the hedges....no respect for their field.
    I'm sure there are a lot more examples of how Auburn fans and even worse how their coach disrespects other schools....that's fine if you're big enough to carry it off.............but don't come crying when those schools and fans feed a little back to you. Treating other schools and fans this way does not make you a better team or a better school.
    I think there should always be friendly rivalry among schools...what fun would it be if there wasn't, but I like when other schools come here to Tuscaloosa, and go back home saying how nice they were treated....of course they heard Roll Tide to death...but hey it doesn't hurt anyone....neither does "Tiger Bait"

8. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

I will admit several of my friends had some run in's at LSU...and two different people had their tables and such turned over during the games....but I dont think it got to the point where people thought they were going to die.

I am nervous in Knoxville, Auburn, and Jacksonville....wherever I go. Not just Baton Rouge.

On a side note, outside of seeing that a few days ago on WEN. I had never seen that article before. :confused:

9. rickyd

rickyd Founding Member

Geeesshh, are you the only person from the state of Alabama with any sense!!

If the Auburn fans don't recognize from the above list, just how far down on the respect chart tele-tubby has brought them. Then their parents college fund has been one helluva waste!!!

10. Tigerdog007

Tigerdog007 Founding Member

Well lets be honest here. Proud Tiger came here not to start a fight but to try and end it. I have to agree with most of what he says. I stay away from certain areas of the stadium during game day because of the complete idiots that frequent these areas. I know this because I have been going to games my entire life. If you are a visiting fan you have no idea where the dumbass people hang out. So you are more likely to end up running into the idiot crowd. The sad thing is that we can't do anything about these people. They bye tickets and come to the game just like everyone else.

The fact is that every university has some great fans and some bad ones. I have never seen Jordan Hare but I have been to 5 Sugar Bowls in a row. I went with the idea that I would pick one team and support them. I went to cheer for the Gators when they played the Canes. I even went and borrowed (cause I would never buy) a friends Gator shirt. I got yelled at and sh!t talked by plenty of the Canes. Lucky for me I can defend myself, but I saw them doing it to 50 year old couples with kids. Do you get my point? Every school has them.

Our job is to enjoy the visiting fans when we see them. Give them a TIGER BAIT and a beer if they choose. The dumbass horror stories overshadow the ones where the couple came to Tigerland and had such a good time they have been back every year since 1990 for at least one game. Oh and BTW the couple I speak of live in Michigan and go to Wolverine games. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.