LSU fans in Texas

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tygrr, Feb 10, 2004.

1. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Quick question: For those of you living in Dallas, I hear that there are quite a few LSU fans out there. I've got a friend living there, and have been considering moving there myself. I just wanna be sure that there are places that I can watch the games with other diehard LSU fans. I hope to one day own a sports bar there. So can any of you tell me whats it like being an LSU addict living in Dallas(or anywhere in Texas for that matter)

2. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

It is fun. You are surrounded mostly by Texas and Texas A&M blowhards, but they usually shut up once Oklahome routs them in October. I know in the DFW area the watching place is Ben's Half Yard House. There may be other places popping up next year due to the Tigers success last year.

I have my car flag, license plate frame, and bumper sticker displayed proudly, and I see quite a few Tiger stuff all over the roadways in Dallas. It is good for Tiger fans here!

3. tigers

tigers Founding Member

I think it is very difficult being a TIGER fan living in Texas. We lived in Dallas and Houston for a total of 11 years. Everything is the Big 12. It is hard to get any news concerning LSU or the SEC. I am so happy to be back in Louisiana and thankfully we came back for the greatest season of me life.

TIGERS ROCK!!!

4. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

I have lived here for 12 years now. Company moved me here (I was fresh out of college)

All my friends I have here are from Louisiana. There are a good deal of us here.

There are many places to feel like home around here. Bens Half Yard house if you are not at the game is a great place. However like I said, I have many friends from home here. So we always get together and watch LSU sports, Boil crawfish, fry turkeys do the home thing. I have found eaten places that have people from home owning/cooking. Its a good place to go afterwork knock back an Abita and talk home or LSU.... (Nates, Doodies, etc etc)

Anyway I digress. Dallas is a pretty cool place. Lots to do for the sports fan and its a pretty good place to work and live. Cost of living is very good here... If you have kids the have a pretty darn good school system.

I long for the day to return home. BUT Dallas is a pretty great town, its close to home (I go to all home games and bowl games) You can get a flight anywhere for cheap. And the city is pretty cool.

The Texans are very "Holier then Thou" however. So be prepared to be ridiculed for being proud of your heritage. If you are single be prepared for the Cocain and boob job crowd to say things like.

"eewww Louisiana, dont they have like Big Bugs, and alligators everywhere" Stuff like that....

In Short, I will NEVER be a Texan, I just live here. I cannot wait to go back home, because thats where people such as myself are, and well... Its home. BUT if besides Austin. Dallas is probably the next best thing.

However dont plan on having trees, and just pick up and walk down the street and do some crawfishing, crabbing or fishing...

Unless you want to drive for about an Hour and fight for honey holes fishing is less then desirable.

Anyway, I am getting long..

If you plan on opening up a Sports Bar or Louisiana style place, you will do well if you do it right. You will get a very large Louisiana crowd, and the Texans eat up Cajun food. Of course to them they think the "Cajun McChicken Sandwich" is Cajun.

But eaten places do very well here, no one cooks. Every place is packed. And if you have good eats, tons of LSU stuff and good Crawfish during season (Which is a commodity around here. At Razoos once I asked the Manager if I can go in the back and cook them myself). You will do well.

Remember LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION !!!

I give Dallas a B+ and Louisiana a A+

Houston - An F ;)

5. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

Hey I'm from Houston. Got a problem with that:D

6. TejasTiger

TejasTiger Founding Member

I've lived in Houston for 8 years and, believe me, there is zero love between Houston and Dallas. Houston is not as antiseptic as Dallas and the people here are not stuck up and pretentious, either. There are plenty of transplants here (b/c of the oil business); in fact, LSU fans outnumbered Univ. of Houston fans during last month's basketball game!

Houston is definitely more "LSU friendly" than Dallas, hands down. The Greater Houston LSU Alumni Assoc. is one of the biggest in the country, there are multiple game watching events around town and Coach Saban comes on here at least once a week during the season.

One more thing, Dallas: when will you guys be hosting a Super Bowl, exactly? lol...

7. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

Let me just mention that I did live in Houston for roughly 6 years from the age of 5 to 11. I didn't mind it growing up, but things may be different now.

One more question for you Dallas people. I hear that the girls outnumber the guys 3 to 1. My friend, living in Dallas, tells me that the women approach the guys in bars, as oppose to the guys approaching the women. Maybe some of you can tell me how much truth there is to this.

8. louisiana tiger

louisiana tiger Freshman

I am considering moving to Austin (Georgetown or Round Rock) I will return to La for the football games, but is there anyplace you can watch or talk Lsu BB or baseball.. I have been there several times in the past three years and have yet to find a good place that serves La. food(Gumbos inRR) can't cut it..

9. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

The Houston Allum Association is supposed to be very big. Went to Woodrows for the Sugar Bowl to watch the game. It was crazy with all the Tiger fans.
    During the commericals they blast the fight song over the speakers. All over the christmas holiday in Houston I would see LSU fans everywhere. Car flag flying, people wearing LSU hats, t-shirts. Houston is a great place to live. A plus is it is only 4 hours from LSU. Get on I-10 and get off in Baton Rouge.[

10. lsucorndog

lsucorndog Founding Member

must escape tejas... please... send help...