LSU fans in Texas

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tygrr, Feb 10, 2004.

1. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

StaceyO pretty much summed it up, however I challange the quality of Life is Better in Dallas then Baton Rouge.
    If I could move home and both my wife and I have the same great jobs we have here, I would move home by 3pm tomorrow. The Quality of life, if you enjoy family, friendly people, outdoor sports, food, friendship, people you can relate to, South Louisiana is considerably better.
    But if you like big city, big business, Professional sports, big events, etc etc. Dallas is your place
    Quality of life is a perception I guess. I like Dallas, I have a good life here BUT when I go home I realize what I left behind.. Its just different.

Like Stacey0 Said and what I mentioned. You will find ALL of your friends (or 90%) will be from Louisiana, or a Gulf coast state like Alabama or Mississippi.. I dont know why but after 12 years now I just feel more comfortable with our own kind.... I just never seemed to fit in with the Dallas crowd. Hell it could be me for all I know. Maybe I did not want to.... However I find this with ALL my Louisiana friends. One of my friends wont even come over if Louisiana people do not make up 95% of the people there. But he is bizarre. ;)

There is a HUGE difference between Dallas women and Louisiana women in personality HUGE. (Personally I think Southern women LA, AL, MS per capita are tens time better looking then Dallas women, and a hell of lot more fun to be around)

Although Stacy0 makes some excellent points about Dallas.

I agree however the Job Market and Public School systems are better.

I would like to add, that Traffic is a beating in Dallas (I live in North Carrollton) however its better then Houston. (But not by much)

I loved this quote Stacey
    "Dallas women are disgusting silicone-filled predators, who crave money"

I could not have said it better myself. I married an "Outsider from New Mexico" after trying the North Dallas Scene...

"eeewww. Louisiana... Dont they have like Big bugs there... " ;)

2. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

ah...the dallas women. they call the lower bowl at the American Airlines Center the "Cocaine and Boob Job" section for a reason. The plastic surgery business in Dallas has to be soaring, no to mention the adult entertainment industry and the market on Lexus, BMW, and Mercedes.

The traffic is the worse. If there is a wreck, you are screwed, even with 4-5 lanes of traffic going each way. Cost of living is ok, but it is actually high compared to other parts of Texas. Where i live (mesquite right by Sunnyvale) is a new residential area, and the cost of our house has gone up 30,000 since we bought it 4 years ago, so owning a house on the outskirts is a great investment because the city is expanding again.

The market of Dallas is erratic as well. Dallas either does really great economically when the rest of the country is doing average or good, and really poor (as it has been the last 2 years since telecoms crapped the toilet) when the rest of the country is average or poor.

And the other thing, if you want any type of yard for your home, move to the boonies. Places like Plano and Frisco have about 7-10 feet of space between houses, and itty bitty yards big enough for maybe a small tree and a large dog to be happy.

Besides that, Dallas is ok.

3. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

One of my friends from Louisiana was up here for my bachelorette party in '99, and she was shocked at the mansions we drove by that were situated on postage-stamp lots.

In my neighborhood, we're a good 15 feet away from our neighbors' houses (good thing we like our neighbors.) I also had to get used to alleys with garages in the back of the house, but now I like that look better than the front entry neighborhoods with driveways in the front of the house (it means not having to look into people's garages--where, of course, the Dallas law is that each garage must have at least one SUV--ours does!)

I know what you mean about the quality of life. If my husband and I could make the same amount of money for the same jobs in Baton Rouge, I would move back in a second. I really miss my family and friends.

And not all of my girl friends are even from the South; they hail from places like San Angelo, Texas, and Kansas City, and even (gasp) Newark, New Jersey. But the thing we have in common is not being from Dallas.

In fact, I wish I knew more Louisiana natives up here. About a year before my husband and I got married, we took a Friday off and drove up to Denton to play cheap golf at TWU. The golfer behind us was playing alone, so we asked him to join us, and the minute he opened his mouth, I knew he was a Cajun (from Kaplan.) The two of us had a great time talking to each other about home, and when we passed a pond with some frogs in it, he said, "Now, to these Texas people those are just frogs, but you and me know those are DINNER!"

It made me miss home.

4. TexasTigers

I got lucky, My wife and I found an acre with trees right in the heart of North Carrollton (By Hebron and Old Denton) it backs up to a creek (Indian Creek), I have no houses behind me just trees and the creek. I also got several trees in my back yard spanning my house. Helps BIG time in Texas Summers. BUT my neigbor to the right is 40 feet from me. But my lot is very deep.

But yeh, the lack of trees and lot lines amazes me. Some subdivisions they cut trees down to stamp house out....

Up in Plano you can find 700,000 dollar homes with zero lot line. Blows my mind....

That is probably one of the biggest things I miss (Besides people, and food) is the lack of trees, and WATER.... Man do I miss walking down the street and going fishing, or those summers on the Tickfaw and Tchefuncte.

5. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

Do you live by Indian Creek golf course? We live in Ridgeview Ranch, about a half-mile from that course. All of our street names are after golfers (we're on Azinger), and that's one of the reasons I think my husband was so interested in the area!

6. TexasTigers

No not on the course, the actual creek that runs through it (And named it). I am about 1/2 mile north of it off of Eisenhower. (South of Hebron, North of Frankfort)

I thought Ridgeview Golf course was in Plano ?? Off Coit.

I am the Southwest side of Hebron and Old Denton...

Is that by Coyote Ridge off of Hebron ?

7. AustinTXHorn

AustinTXHorn Founding Member

Add this to the list of message boards that I've seen the Houston/Dallas debate on.
    From somebody in between...just let me say that Houston sucks. Austin's better than both, though. :)

8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

The plastic surgery business in Houston is booming too. I saw something on TV about a big time Houston plastic surgeon who does a lot of boob jobs for the dancers at the topless clubs. He has a boob shaped swimming pool at his mansion.

9. lsucorndog

lsucorndog Founding Member

a treed lot here means one mesquite tree and it only stands about 4 foot high. seriously, this is the norm rather than the exception in north texas. I joke with my family that I like to go back to La. just to see the trees. East texas isn't that bad. Once you get past marshall and tyler and start heading toward forney and terrell it thins out quick though!

10. dallaslsufan

dallaslsufan Founding Member

Man, I had no idea we had this many LSU/Louisana folks in Dallas. I moved to Dallas out of college in 2001 to work for Texas Instruments. My wife and I now live in Craig Ranch in the city of Frisco/Plano area (North Dallas). It took us a while, but we are finally getting used to living outside of Louisiana. Everything is new here and people are friendly. My wife and I are 24 years old without kids. I think we will be moving back within the next 3-4 years, not because we don't like it here, we just want to have family around whenver we have kids. I see it all to often that both parents are working and the kids get dropped off at the daycare. I don't want that to happen. Anyways...Cost of living rocks. I live in an incredible Ranch Resort style subdivision. We paid $156,000 for a brand new, 2-story 2500 sq. ft. home.

The thing I really hate is I don't really have any other LSU fan's to watch the games with. I have a friend that is from here, that I converted to a big time LSU fan (great year to do it), but I just don't have the die-hard like myself. I do enjoy watching it with my wife though...I would love to get together with a group of folks for any of the games. Dowtown is a little far to drive, although I was considering doing it until I got a 110" high definition projector this season. I just love watching it on that! We need to get something organized for next season or the b-ball tourney for the north dallas folks!