LSU finishes in a virtual tie for 3rd place Composite Rankings

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by islstl, Feb 4, 2015.

1. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

im guessing its because their talent rarely translates to the college level because they are loners and freak out when the lights are bright.

uscvball likes this.
  2. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Coming under pressure? Really? I certainly hope it is an unsuccessful effort. ST players don't need nor require the same evaluation and outcome that other players do.

First of all, they have one job and they either do it or they don't. When evaluating a kicker/punter, there isn't much to project in terms of physical growth, strength, etc. That's compared to say, will a LB'er put on enough weight, grow and move to a rush end? At the end of the day, can't any of us watch a lineup of kickers or punters and figure out who did it best? That doesn't require much evaluation or evaluating talent.

The biggest problem is that kickers and punters have a huge element to their job that is mental. Pressure can destroy a great leg. Why do coaches try to ice kickers? Because it works often enough.

Brian likes this.
  3. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Many more problems with rankings as well. Evaluation is always done by the most knowledable people, offer list which are in some cases bogus because we are relying on the actual prospect to rely that information to the sites, kids in smaller markets don't get much attention, some take into account academic standing and some don't, Etc...I could go on and on. Rankings are more for entertainment value for the fans and a guide for even coaches to use to further evaluate.

Brian and TerryP like this.
  4. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

They are more in the business of gaining memberships and traffic to their sites. When a guy like Taylor Hamm, etc... gets a vote on how many stars a guy should get it makes you wonder. He like all have self interest to hype up players they are in contention with etc...

5. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Exactly. When you consider that people are willing to pay for such low level information, it's laughable. There are posters all over the country who are capable of doing the same for free. In order to differentiate, they should hire folks who could get a job on a D-1 coaching staff.

Brian likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Randy Rodgers says hello

7. EyeoftheTiger 2015

EyeoftheTiger 2015 Senior Member

:confused: Just like QBs with arms strength, kickers have differing levels of leg strength. Also on PK, accuracy is an issue. So far, Gamble for example has booted a couple of out of bounds as I recall on kickoffs. Then there is consistency. I remember Hairston won the KO job a few years ago because the FG kicker (name escapes me) would kick the ball 5 yards deep on one kickoff and to the 15 the next. I disagree with you on pressure working. I have seen just as many kicks MISSED right as a timeout is called and then MADE the 2nd time than the other way around. I laugh every time the supposed coaching psychology is tried and fails...and it fails a ton.

8. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Try getting an honest opinion on Ole Miss from Pete Roussel. He fits your criteria.

9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Side by side, someone can kick 40 yards or not. They can kick it through the goal posts or not. They don't hit the weights like everyone else, they won't have major swings in growth, strength or potential. The biggest reason why so many of them miss game winners is mental. That isn't something that can be evaluated with a star.

Brian likes this.
  10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I'm sure this will come as no surprise but I don't know who that is. If he is a D-1 type coach and he's not giving honest opinion then that's different. I guess my point is really that most evaluators are just hacks, not necessarily capable of giving evals that pan out. As was mentioned earlier there are a ton of 2 and 3 star dudes who just don't have the exposure via camps or offers to get noticed. And every class ultimately has a handful of 5 stars who turn out to be wastoid douches.

I look at Gary Patterson....their yearly ranking is never all that high but clearly the players he does get are good.

Brian and EyeoftheTiger 2015 like this.