LSU finishes in a virtual tie for 3rd place Composite Rankings

Discussion in 'LSU RECRUITING' started by islstl, Feb 4, 2015.

1. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The rating system is obviously flawed, even moreso than the coaches evaluations which can often times be flawed as well. Hell, the NFL teams miss on more players than they hit on many years even though they have a bunch of scouts and spend millions.

However, if you were to go back and look at the top recruiting programs over the last 15 years (since the inception of these .coms) you'll notice a continuing trend of the best teams being the programs that stay in the top 10 of the recruiting rankings year after year. Of course there are party crashers & teams that underacheive every year but by and large the best teams in the country are the teams that rank the highest in recruiting. And if you didn't have six or seven of the highest recruiting program all stuck in the same conference those teams would be even more successful.

So while I can be a little jaded when looking at the rankings I do acknowledge that these services aren't that far off overall in what they do.

Brian, LSUDad and uscvball like this.
  2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

But how do we really know that kid has 25 offers? We don't...These services have to rely on what the prospect, family, or coach tells them. Think back at all those times have we seen players who think they have an offer try to commit. So of them really do think they have offers and others just claim them to tell their friends etc...

Brian, TerryP and LSUDad like this.
  3. EyeoftheTiger 2015

EyeoftheTiger 2015 Senior Member

Yeah, you just entered the seemly realm of the "commitable vs non-commitable offer". :eek: But it doesn't have to be a perfect log of who offered...just in the ball park.

4. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Son, we would love to have you here. Let know when you get enrolled and I'll give you directions to the ticket window.

5. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

Yep that is one scenario I was discussing. I saw where someone posted that LSU had 76 offers out to 2016 prospects already and Bama was in the 90's. Most of those are really just invitations to start thinking about coming to one of our camps so we can really see if you are what we are looking for. However, the kids who don't look the part don't get that offer pulled from the sites or from the kids. The numbers just magically work out. Lets say we get to 150 offers. That 150 probably only has about 45 that we think are worthy but the rest get a bump in rankings potentially.

6. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Anytime I see the words "never" or "always" I know it's hyperbole. I don't doubt that Wilson does keep in touch but he's talking about things that aren't measured or plausible. And if the coaches are pissed, might they not participate in a little hyperbole of their own?

Of course articles are basically worthless in terms of ratings or accuracy and that was my point. It can be done that way.

Brian likes this.
  7. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Here's a link, albeit a couple years old, that discusses the hits and misses for 5 stars. Oliner's are first but you can also look at WR's, QB's, and RB's.
    http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/2013/five-star-offensive-linemen-ranking/

LSUDad likes this.
  8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

Yes! Consider this last Wed....espin was pimping Cordell Broadus' announcement all morning. Kid had 4 hats including USC and ucla. After he picked ucla, espin and all the local media were filing the story as a knock out punch....ucla beats usc. Cordell did not have an offer from USC. We had no spot for him even if he had wanted to commit.

Brian and LSUDad like this.
  9. EyeoftheTiger 2015

Been there, done that. But "ticket window"....really, you pay for tickets? I just scam my way in like the guys did to the Super Bowl the other day. :oops:

10. EyeoftheTiger 2015

I think you exaggerated the use of the word "never.' I was not saying that at no time coaches are not contacted by recruiting services in order to get video, ask coaches about some of their players, etc. I did not say that and that was not what Frank Wilson said. What Frank Wilson was talking about as stated in my original point were a FEW players he was asked about by the sports writers, etc as they inquired about why LSU wanted them. At that time he was responding to that question and stated what I said he stated. That is not hyperbole in any form. The "never" was used in reference to some of the few players they were asking about and was clearly stating what I certainly believe. SOME players are NEVER investigated by the recruiting services. If they simply don't know them, they are too lazy to get off their butts and find out and thus they get a low grade. If you don't believe that, it is cool, but I certainly would bet anything on it. BTW, a short Morris Claiborne story which I know is factual unless his coach is lying.

Do you know why Morris Claiborne was so lowly rated out of HS? He went to Fair Park and played QB at that Shreveport HS...at least his SR year for sure. It is a poor HS in not the best part of town. I know a lot about it...I was born in Shreveport and went to HS in Shreveport...another HS. Anyway, the coach was asked by a reporter, "Why isn't Morris Claiborne getting offers since Fair Park went to the playoffs for the first time in 15 years and it is obvious Claiborne is the only reason you are there?" The coaches answer...."we simply don't have the money to have video equipment so we have not been able to generate footage of him to send around to everybody." 'nuff said.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015