LSU-Florida game picked up by CBS at 2:30

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TigerLifer3, Sep 29, 2003.

1. LSUfan

LSUfan Founding Member

Hey, atleast we are on TV and the networks want us. As an out of town Tiger . . . I miss going to the games and having them on national TV is the next best thing.

2. SouthLink02

SouthLink02 Founding Member

Oh thank you! Thank you!!!!

Finally....A NIGHT GAME!!!!!

3. SovietGator

SovietGator Founding Member

Mobile,

Damn, you're right. With those winning percentages I guess we are both doormats...that red55 knows his stuff. :dis:

4. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

this is a cut from an article on SI.com. October 11th is the biggest weekend for football this year (again). LSU v. UF is CBS's only hope at beating Texas/OU or Miami/Fla ST in the 230pm slot. If Georgia had beat LSU, Then Georgia/Tenn woulb be the day game. Yes it sucks to play that early, but we are becoming a ratings magnet.

Is it too early to start salivating over what likely will be the biggest day of the year two weeks from now? Yeah, didn't think so.

Oct. 11 is the day Florida State and Miami reunite in Tallahassee, more than likely both undefeated (the 'Canes play West Virginia on Thursday, FSU is off next week) and fresh off their most exciting installment yet last season, the Miami comeback that ended in Wide Left for the 'Noles. The winner, and/or Virginia Tech (which plays the 'Canes Nov. 1), will have the inside track on a spot in the Sugar Bowl, against one of the front-runners for the other half, Oklahoma or Ohio State.

Speaking of which, that day also brings major tests for the Sooners (Texas) and Buckeyes (at Wisconsin), as well as fellow undefeated teams Tennessee (Georgia), LSU (Florida) and Arkansas (Auburn).

But, alas, I'm getting ahead of myself. First we have to find out who wins next week's battles of undefeateds. You know, USC at Arizona State? Kansas State at Texas? Michigan at Iowa? ... Wait, on second thought ...

Stewart Mandel covers college sports for SI.com.

5. BayouBengal

BayouBengal Founding Member

You are right Mesquite. OCtober 11th will be gut check for anyone wanting to be a contender. Pretty soon it will be too late to have one loss and still climb back up the polls.

I still was certain CBS would have taken UGA/Tenn because both of them are highly ranked. True UF is ranked but nowhere near what UGA is. But oh well, we'll take it. We will just have to impress on National TV again.

6. BrettStah

BrettStah Tiger Fan

You guys are looking ahead to the Florida game in two weeks, while completely ignoring this week's game. Apparently we're playing a school called "Open Date", but just because I don't much about their team doesn't mean they can't beat us! In fact, I heard Tulane lost to Open Date last year by a couple of touchdowns.

:D

7. mesquite tiger

mesquite tiger Diabolical Genius

that's true...they did not allow Auburn a TD a couple of weeks ago either.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Sovietgator, I meant SEC championships, not NC's. LSU won its first SEC in 1935 and has won many since then. Florida won its first SEC when? When Spurrier arrived.

OK, Florida wasn't exactly a doormat but they never won a championship of any kind until recently. They were the last of the original SEC members who had never won a championship.

Now, Florida was the 800-pound gorilla when Spurrier was here, I admit. They were the team of the 90s, but of little consequence from the 1930s through the 1980s.

9. SovietGator

SovietGator Founding Member

red55,

Point well taken. Florida wasn't too shabby in the mid 80's though, they were 35-8-3 from 82'-85'. They won the National Championship according to 7 different polls in 84'. Ah, but they cheated to do it...:dis:

Of course a bunch of teams were cheating back then too.

http://www.ncaa.org/champadmin/ia_football_past_champs.html

In the above link I noticed LSU was on a lot of the NC polls back in the day, I was impressed.

10. Eleven

Eleven Founding Member

actually, Gator....we are ranked around #13 all time...not really a doormat.

rock n roll