LSU football - flashy?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jul 26, 2004.

1. CParso

CParso Founding Member

Will LSU football ever be real flashy? We all know how amazing our defense is, and they were amazing enough that it was fun to watch (Some defenses are just plain boring...) And even though our offense was good last year, we certainly weren't flashy. I started thinking about this because of Jamarcus Russell plus all these amazing new receivers we've got coming in. It seems like Saban started off recruiting more towards the defensive end and is now being able to get more of the 5 star offensive players. So, do people think that with this new influx of offensive stars - will LSU become more flashy? Or stick with what works?

2. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

I think Henderson, JV, Green and Clayton were pretty flashy last year. You wont see a flashy offence as long as the Sr. QB is playing however if coach puts in Mr. Alabama then WATCH OUT.

3. crawfish

crawfish Founding Member

lol, The young fans are great!

BTW, If Vincent runs the ball like he did last season, don't look for a "flashy" offense. I know we have the tools to do so.........

4. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

2001, flashy. 2002 & 2003 & 2004 not flashy.

2005?

5. CParso

CParso Founding Member

I agree that we had some flashy players last year, but I don't think all in all we were a flashy offense (mostly because of Mauck) I was just wondering if these new QB's are gonna be the type to get amazing plays going. JV was nothing short of amazing & flashy in the SECC & NC games. Towards the end of the season, Clayton got blocked up a good bit because of the attention he was getting and wasn't able to make near as many big plays. I figure now that we will be having several of these flashy & amazing people - that will lead to more "flashy" play. I was just curious if maybe Jimbo wasn't the type of person for flashy offenses.

6. LSUTigers1404

LSUTigers1404 Founding Member

With JeMarcus Russell, Xavier Carter and Early Doucet waiting in the wings...

Add those guys to Justin Vincent and Skyler Green and our offense can be just as fast as our defense.

7. kpjr80

kpjr80 Founding Member

Win

As long as we keep winning and dominating, I could care less if we were flashy.

BUT, it does make for some GREAT entertainment. Of course, so does a huge hit on defense.

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Sparso I can only imagine that you are talking about airing it out as we run a very sophisticated offense as far as the running game goes, bubble screens, end arounds, sprint draws, roll out passes, even a couple of half back and end around passes were in the repetoire last year. I don't think we will ever air it out quite like we did in 2001 unless we can't run and the QB's great like Rohan was that season. as long as we have a very good running attack and a good D we are going to keep on the way were have been.

Remember one of the reasons XC chose LSU was that he loved our verticla passing game. I was kind of shocked when he said it but hey, who am I to argue. we did start the Arkansas game off with 3 bombs in the first quarter but Mauck missed a wide open DH on all 3 before he finally completed one I think in the second qtr.

9. Tiger1131

Tiger1131 Founding Member

LSU went vertical last year. Just off the top of my head we had the long pass to Henderson for TDs in the Auburn and Ole Miss games (whether it was REALLY vertical or not it certainly utilized his speed), several bombs in the La Tech and Arizona games, just to name a few.

I also feel that we better throw the ball around in the first few games this year because when we get to Auburn, Georgia and Florida over four games we better be two demensional or we will be in trouble. Of course, I'm sure Nick and Jimbo already have figured that out.

10. flabengal

flabengal Founding Member

In defense of Mauck as I remember that day was windy as hell against Arkansas. I fully agree Mauck wasn't the biggest threat vertically but hell, they scored 55 points that day.....