LSU football - flashy?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by CParso, Jul 26, 2004.

1. TigahBait

TigahBait Ultimate Tigah Fan

The more talent you have, the more the playbook opens. Will the Tigahs take more down field shots? You bet! While I might not be Jimbo's greatest advocate (I think he's way to conservative), he'll have to utilize the talent he has or suffer a let down in moral. Nick won't allow this-but make no mistake we will be run oriented. Nuf said.

2. Tigerbnd05

Tigerbnd05 National Champs 2003 2007

Have some of you forgotten that JIMBO was the architect of the 2001 season, and he also put all the changes in for the second half of the SECCG that year as well. This man knows how to take advantage of every ounce of talent he has on the field at a particular time. If you think he isn't creative, I recall a play that blew some analyst's mind last year when it was run in the Arkansas game. A version of the option pass only it was more of a QB sprint and when the DE and CB committed to Mauck, he threw it to Skyler and Skyler got about 10 yards. Not a big number, but a very creative use of the talent on the field. IF we can be accurate down field, JIMBO will take big shots down field. If not, then go with what wins you the game.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I agree that Jimbo was very creative and original as I stated on one of my earlier posts, but I thought he didn't use the deep pass to help loosen up OU and Ole Miss in particular. He did it 3 times eraly vs Arkansas and I hought that was one of the big keys to our explosiveness that day. I I also thought we did not use Skylers deep speed enough, it was usually DH or MC and MC was covered very well most of the time. Would haved to see Green going deep against a safety much more than we did last season.

4. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Yeah.. Ive read quite a few analysts that think that option pass from the Arkansas game is a preview of the future of college football. The return of the option, but in a whole new way that is combined iwth a vertical passing game.

As far as being flashy goes, LSU isnt flashy. Flashy is a style. LSU isnt flashy, they are blue-collar. Solid D, run the ball down your throat. When we do pass, we dont make a big deal about it. I think LSU will get away from the west coast short yardage pass type offense (they averaged 7.5 a pass last year) and go vertical more. But you also have to remember those WR screens LSU likes to run. Think about the speed of x-man and green on those. Doucet and Bowe will be our 2! claytons out there, catching the touch passes over the middle. Thats what is exciting about these guys, is the depth. In the next couple years we wont have just the two great recievers with a young guy to fill in the 3rd spot, we will have 4 or 5 great recievers who will be all over the field. Yet LSU isnt flashy. LSU is very Fitzgerald-esque. Score a TD, give the ball to the ref, lets play some more.

5. friday

friday Founding Member

flashy/booring, saban will do whatever it takes to win. if he's got the horses to stretch the defense vertically, he'll do it. if he's got both like last year, he'll work in the long ball with the short possession stuff. that's something that some coaches can't handle - talent. they've got so much of it, they become enamored with the sexy (or flashy as our young future grad calls it) long ball offense. the bottom line is when you revert to that type of game, you take chances and with the defense that saban has constructed at LSU, that's a death knell unless you have absolute confidence in your QB. but, knowing a little about saban, I don't think we'll ever see him go away from a solid running game, which allows you to take chances and succeed every now and then. the run will always set up the pass.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Except for when JV dropped that ball after that great TD run in the Sugar about 3 inches after he crossed the goal, scared the living sh!t out of me.

7. bigfella99

bigfella99 Founding Member

It is almost impossible to win consistently without a good running game, so Saban/Fisher will continue to stress that. But we did have about 27 TD passes last year, so that is a decent amount of flash.

8. SG_Geaux

SG_Geaux Founding Member

Flashy doesn't win football games.

9. Veritas

Veritas Founding Member

Our offense did have actually a lot of big time throws. When I first thought about it I didn't think we had many big time pass plays at all. Then I watched the highlight tape from last year, and there were actually a lot of big time pass plays. This coming up year I think there will be a lot more big time passes. Even with Randall at QB. Randall is pretty good at rolling out and throwing the ball. I think with Randall rolling out Green and Bowe can get open a lot easier. So overall I think our offense will be more flashy then last year but no 2001.

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Not sure how you define flashy, but Mauck had some pretty impressive totals for one season:

Total Yards - 2,825 yds, #2 all-time
    Most Completions - 229, #1
    Most Attempts - 358, #2
    Most TDs -28, #1

Given how many years we've been playing football, not too bad. But is that flashy enough? ... I dunno. I do know winning the NC made it flashy enough for me!!