LSU Football Talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by j0nathanr0y, Feb 19, 2004.

1. ramah

ramah Founding Member

Spot on ... and he should have a 4-3 record or better ... remember the defensive collapse late in 2002 with the DJ incident and the fluke in the Arkansas game on defense ... let's not talk about the Bluegrass miracle and an ESPY award.

Another look at the numbers

2002 Passing Stats ... just compare the two QBs ...

neither of the numbers is great ... and Mauck's 5-1 start was due mostly to great defense ... with 2002 Defensive stats better than the 2003 season early till the Auburn game.

PASSING----------Cmp/Att-----Pct-----Yds------Yd/A TD Int Rating
    Marcus Randall----87/181----48.1---1,173-----6.5--7---5---109.7
    Matt Mauck--------63/130-----48.5----782------6.0--9---2---118.8

despite this ---> WE HAD A SECCG IN OUR HANDS

ONE STUPID DEFENSIVE PLAY AWAY AGAINST ARKANSAS

LSU should have been sole SEC WEST CHAMPION IN 2002

Now 2003 ... both stats

PASSING-----------Cmp/Att----Pct----Yds----Yd/A---TD---Int----Rtg
    Matt Mauck--------228/358---63.7--2,812---7.9----28---14---147.7
    Marcus Randall----25/40------62.5---409---10.2----2-----1----159.9

If you want to make the statement that neither are good QBs and this has been the Achilles heel of LSU during the Saban era ... I could listen to that ... for about 1 second

Don't ratphukke Randall without putting Mauck in the same sentence ... and we just won a NC

We're all hungry for the same thing ...

truly great QB play ...

some serious routs in SEC games ... I think it's coming with both of these kids very soon.

Can you imagine the lusty howls for blood every Saturday night in Tiger Stadium late in SEC games with LSU up a comfortable 28 points ... and Saban refusing to run up scores ... playing backups on both sides of the ball including freshmen ... LSU favored to win every game ... even tough road games ... LSU stomping mudholes in opponents like Auburn in their own backyard

Flynn/Russell will be much better than Mauck/Randall ... that's a scary thought for opposing teams ... and until they are truly ready to take over and lead LSU by evidence of their backup performances ...

O
    N

T
    H
    E

F
    I
    E
    L
    D

... Randall will get the job done. My money will be on it ... and we did extremely good last year ...

11-2 ATS with LSU-------->Antigua & Thailand despite Tennessee and the Pooper Bowl (- 4K)

This year------------------>Wonder if Vegas has a clue about LSU now ... paging Cesar Robaino and company

http://www.majorstats.com/index.php?league=cftball&type=top25

Even after the LSU win over OU ... LSU is ranked #3 behind USC & OU in the Vegas odds

~R~E~S~P~E~C~T~ -------------------> NAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVITTTTTTTTTTT

LUVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVITTTTTTTTTTT

GIMME MO' UVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVITTTTTTTTTTT

We'll clean up again in 2004 ... NO RESPECT

2. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

I didn't mean to bash Randall, I have met the guy and played him in NCAA 2004 on ps2. (He put himself in for Mauck).

I think he needs to calm down a little and believe in his ability. And someone needs to correct his baseball throw. He tries to throw the ball 100 miles an hour ever time. I have never seen him loft it up and try to place it in the hands of the receiver. To me he wants to show the world how strong his arm is. And trust me we know! (Blue Grass Miracle)

I do think he will be a good quarterback and will lead LSU to some wins, I'm just not sure if he has the decision making a of championship quarterback. And when I say that I mean the SEC.

I hope he is good enough to go into UGA, Auburn ( 4 picks), and Florida and wreck some havoc and not get rattled.

3. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

If LSU had been sporting this coming year's defense the year that Randall started those games, I imagine his record would have been quite different.

Of course, we would also have been robbed of one of the greatest moments in sports (The Bluegrass Miracle).

That being said, I trust the highest paid college coach in America who just led my favorite college team to a National Championship.

4. LSUfan4life

LSUfan4life Founding Member

i agree that we should 1 trust in the strong arm and legs of Marcus Randall and 2 trust in the abilities of the coaches that just brought us the National Championship I mean really it's not like Mauck didn't have his ups and downs this season and LSU still won

5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Fellers, we just need to wait until spring practice. The quarterbacks will begin to separate themselves. Even the coaches need more time to evaluate the talent. The spring game will tell us a lot.

We could have worse problems than having three guys who can play.

6. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

I feel the difference between Mauck and Randall is that Mauck is much more cerebral, and made much better decisions under pressure. Although the O-line generally performed a little better than the year before. LSU's offense needs a manager, someone who can change plays at the line(on the fly), and anticipate pressure. Many of those are intangibles that Mauck definitely had, but the jury is out on Randall still...

7. roygu

roygu Founding Member

LSUHD, it's hard to knock a quarterback who led us to the National Championship but his numbers in the NC game refutes you statement of "more cerebral". Those interceptions were the same type plays Randall was making in 02. If he had taken the sacks or threw it out of bounds the game would have been over at half time.

8. DJ

DJ Founding Member

I think it is a mistake for people to write Randall off as a starting QB. He has even better pure athletic skills than Mauck, and he is capable of making the same degree of improvement in terms of reading defenses and throwing the ball with precision that Mauck did between this year and last year.

If he makes the commitment to improve as Mauck did, Randall could easily be a better QB than Mauck--which is saying something when you consider that Mauck's pass efficiency rating was better than that of Eli Manning, David Greene, Casey Clausen or Chris Leak. For all that Mauck looked very underwhelming in certain games, he is the all time LSU leader in TD passes in a season, and his passing yardage this year put him in the top 2 or 3 in that statistic for LSU QB's to go along with the fact that LSU won 90% of the games where Mauck started at QB.

The bottom line is that Randall is capable of being an outstanding SEC QB if he makes the same strides this year as Mauck did last year. If he does so, he, like Mauck, will be hard to put on the bench, even considering the stiff competition he will get from talented but unexperienced guys like Russell and Flynn.

9. aztiger03

aztiger03 Founding Member

The LSU D is strong again 2004 that will help the QB. The talent level on O is agian strong if not better than 2003. whoever gets the go @qb will be in good hands. Maybe a leak type ??????LSU to win a few NC......It is our time

10. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

This team sure as hell won't win a NC with Randall at the helm. So I don't know if you're being paid to pump the kid up on these boards, but that shit don't fly at all with me. He may start the very first game, but come SEC schedule, Russell will be at the helm.

And last time I noticed, Micheal Vick did not play on the defensive side of the ball for VTech. They scored 26 or 29 points, whichever it was, that was a very good offensive performance against a very good Florida State defense that year. So it IS possible that a true freshman can lead you to the promise land. But I guarantee you a barely mediocre QB such as Randall will NOT take you anywhere. 8-3 at best if he starts all year. 10-1 or 11-0 if Russell gets in there early in the season.

Now I digress,

At CB, the addition of Stevenson along with veteran Ronnie Prude will be just what the doctor ordered in our nickel and dime packages, along with a few corners waiting in the wings for some PT. So we are just as solid as last year at CB.

Hunt being gone is a cause for some concern. Will Landry move to his spot? Seems logical. I do not think Jesse Daniels can fill that spot, as he looked lost and out of position on many plays last year, including a couple in the Sugar Bowl. I think moving Landry will be the best move. Then Jesse Daniels and maybe someone like Steltz can fight for the other safety spot. We need a big hitter, so Steltz might be the logical choice, but that would be up to him to impress the coaches enough that he has learned the schemes.

Linebacker positions may even see an improvement. Vaughn will have more experience, I look for Turner to make 2nd team all-american this year (just a dominating force). And we have a host of young talent for the 3rd LB spot. Alexander's loss is minimal.

Defensive line is just deep deep deep in talent. Wroten will fill in nicely in the place of Lavalais and Kirston Pittman will make us all forget about M. Hill's loss to the draft. He is going to be a super impact player.

Offensive line is probably the other cause for concern. We have 3 experienced lineman, and one with some experience (McGill) who will take over the other guard spot. Whether they move Livings to tackle, which I think they should, since you can keep your inexperience in the interior of the line at the guard positions. Tackle is not a position you want exposed, you get a QB hurt real easy that way. Lots of young talented players waiting in the wings for PT. I think this will be a solid O-line by season's end. Just hope it doesn't cause us to lose an early SEC road game due to inexperience.

What can you say about WR. Too much talent and not enough positions to go around. It ought to be fun to watch. You can get away with inexperience at WR probably moreso than any other position (other than maybe RB).

10-1 or 11-0. May lose to Florida or Georgia. Not losing to Auburn, forget it.