LSU Football Talk

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by j0nathanr0y, Feb 19, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I hesitate to say that any QB at the helm of this team will win a national championship...The only thing harder to do than win a NC is to repeat...

Having said that...it seems kinda weird that you'd say he's "barely mediocre"...

What would you call Mauck's pre-injury performance at QB in 2002?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Mauck was just as inexperienced as Randall that year and it showed. No doubt. But he didn't make mistakes to lose games for us.

You can't say Randall should have been 4-3, if you give him the win for Arkansas, then you have to give him the loss for Kentucky, so he is right back at 3-4.

It is possible that with all the talent LSU has along with the stifling defense, that maybe we can get Randall to play "efficiently" as Mauck did last year. I just tend to doubt it.

Release the hounds!

3. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

islstl, you make my case for me, sir...

Mauck's mistakes were against teams that COULD NOT CAPITALIZE ON THEM!

Randall's were...

Mauck's progression came in a much more "nurturing" environment...He didn't have to deal with all the pressure of not just playing, but leading the team to wins...

The pressure against MofO, The Citadel, and Moo U is not that of against Auburn on the road in the rain in your first ever road game, or Bama on national TV when they roll in on Fran's trumped up made up story...

You can say what you want...but we don't HAVE to give Randall that loss to Kentucky if we give him the loss to Arkansas...It's just as feasible to see him at 4-3 as it is to see him at 3-5...and those two losses would have still been that close, and those two losses could not be attributed to LSU's quarterback play.

LSU played TERRIBLY in letting two rainbow deep balls from Lorenzen back into the lead against the Wildcats in Lexington...

LSU played TERRIBLY in letting Arkansas go back down the field and steal the SEC Western Division Crown away from them...

Neither of those were because of Randall...In fact, the win against Kentucky was BECAUSE OF Randall, and the loss at Arkansas was only close because Randall KEPT THEM IN THE GAME. Watch the tape...I'll put money on his play...He was the player of the game according to CBS, and that was even after the loss!

They guy was being compared to Vick in the 1st half of the Cotton Bowl....He played as well as Ro in the Peach Bowl in the 1st half, and as poorly as Booty in the Peach Bowl in the 2nd half...

But, you cannot deny that Randall didn't face much tougher competition with much higher pressure, with much less experience, in totally different situations...

Put it to you this way...If Randall was at 5-1 and got injured at FU...Does Mauck HONESTLY fair any differently? Does the Mauck that went 4-12 against Moo U show up against those teams like he did in his 4th start?

You can't down Randall...It's just not logical...

4. Tiger1958

Tiger1958 Founding Member

Are you a coach or you are just playing around?

5. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

We didn't lose a few of them because of our defense, not that he didn't try to geive a few away. Mauck's cerebral play is way overhyped, he mad just as many stupid plays as a lot of other guys. When Mauck made bad passes it was an errant throw, when Randall made one it was a mental error.

and you have a little crystal ball to look into I guess. Could be anyone one of the 3 for all we know. i know you didn't get to see russell play in any more games than we did.

The UK game was well in hand till the defense blew it.

Anyone see Mauck over throw Henderson 3 times in the first 1/4 against Arkansas last season. Granted he had better touch on a lot of his throws but not much better.

It amazes me that you can tell how good a guy is without ever seeing him play, that's incredible. Just think of the money schools and the NFL teams could save having a guy like you on their staff, no scouting trips at all. Just read about them in the papaer or online and you can tell him who to go after.

I really don't think that any of the guys on this board who are backing Randall are saying that Randall automatically wins the starting job, just that he deserves to be number one going into spring practice and the other guys have to beat him and each other out. I am sure I speak for almost everyone when i say that I hope JR is as good as he is hyped to be because then we will have one of the beter QB's in the country, and flynn wouldn't be too far behind, but let them prove how good they are.

6. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

It is amusing to see fans think a player can't improve from one year to the next.

I guess these are the same fans who thought Jack Hunt would suck his senior year .... he was thrown to the wolves in 2002 and he played poorly, much like Randall. But all he did was become a vital leader and player on our NC team!

I guess they also thought Eric Alexander would be a bust when he was moved to starting LB after being a special teams player his entire career. All he did was help lead us to a NC!

Randall can't get better ... Daniels won't improve either. Keep talking guys!