LSU Funding Issue?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Apr 23, 2015.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Tulane and Centenary are private schools. Gambling should have been merged into Louisiana Tech years ago, they are a couple of miles apart. It is mismanaged and has poor academics. UNO and SUNO are closer neighbors that can be merged. Nichols could become a junior college. And a lot of graduate programs at University of Louisiana schools are needless duplications. Athletic programs that can't come close to covering costs may be axed. All of this and more will happen if higher education gets the entire proposed cuts.

LSUDad likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

3. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

By that token why not merge Southern with LSU? The schools are just a few miles apart. The Southern facilities could be utilized for some of LSU's programs and if the administration were under the LSU system a lot of mismanagement could be eliminated.

Keep Southeastern, Nicholls and McNeese intact to serve those areas of the state. Along with merging LA Tech and Grambling include Northwestern.

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  4. HalloweenRun

HalloweenRun Founding Member

Welcome to NC. I will take your state government over ours. However, ours does preserve our University System, but K-12 and Community Colleges (once the best in the nation by a mile) are in the tank.

The problem with these "trickle down guys" is that the rich don't create jobs, demand for services creates jobs, and with no money, there is no demand. These tax breaks for the rich, only give the rich more money. The proof is in the pudding.

Tragically, these nincompoops are squared off across the table from the "givum a cell phone and more money to do nothing" crowd. Neither position is good for anything but votes.

red55 and Winston1 like this.
  5. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You know as well as I why that will not happen and it's the same reason that Grambling still exists.

But there is a better reason. LSU is the flagship university in the state, the only one with comprehensive PhD programs, level-1 research departments, a medical school, a law school, an Ag center and a athletic department that supports itself. Southern is supposed to be the regional school for the Baton Rouge area, although some have tried to make it into the black LSU. It should probably lose its law school which has underperformed and is a needless duplication with LSU. But it has a role to play.

Southerns biggest problem is its chronic administrative mismanagement and its not entirely deserved reputation as a diploma factory which has caused it to lose students to Southeastern for many years and now Baton Rouge Community College is kicking its ass and depleting it of students. It educates more students at a third of the price. If they keep losing students it will have to be downsized significantly, perhaps losing its Ag center as well as its A&M status.

LSUDad likes this.
  6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I know it won't happen but in today's world there is really no need to maintain an HBCU system. They have serve a needed purpose but this is 2015, not 1955.

I do like the idea of keeping the Southern law school open, though. It may not be up to the same standards as LSU but I know a few lawyers who are good at jheir jobs
    who graduated from Southern.

7. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Winston1 likes this.
  8. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

from what i understand is that Southern's Law School is actually performing well, the other parts of the school is crap.

9. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

This would have to affect recruiting no?

10. LSUMASTERMIND

LSUMASTERMIND Founding Member

i think it would but maybe the athletic department escapes this.
    btw, just got back last night, nobody met me a Dragos