LSU Funding Issue?

Discussion in 'Free Speech Alley' started by LSUMASTERMIND, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

Dragos? Damn, I thought you said Deanies.

2. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Man I was trying I just couldn't make it line up, besides I'd rather meet you on a tee box in Florida

LSUMASTERMIND likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

You should actually read the articles. The money for the Student Rec center comes from fees paid by the students that they voted for themselves. No state money involved.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. red55

They have come a long way. For the first 8 years or so none of their graduates managed to pass the bar exam. They were about to lose accreditation so they hired new law professors from outside and made a serious effort to diversify their faculty and students by raising admission standards and aggressively recruiting white and foreign staff/students. They have had trouble diversifying other departments as successfully and BRCC didn't help them at all.

LSUDad likes this.
  5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

Not specific to this issue but I've never understood this. This money goes here, and this money goes there. That's ridiculous, it's all money the school brings in.

6. red55

Not really. There are different kinds of money LSU receives--state funding paid by taxpayers, federal funding received by conducting research grants and contracts, self-generated income such as football ticket sales, private donations, tuition paid by the students, and fees paid by the students.

The athletic department receives no taxpayer funding, it pays for itself with self-generating fees. State budget cuts don't affect it. Big donors like Lod Cook build buildings, also without state funding. And students pay fees in addition to tuition to cover special costs in their major department and for other activities and stuff, like the school yearbook. Twenty years ago, the students voted a fee increase on themselves to fund the Student Recreation Center because the old state-funded Huey Long Fieldhouse was inadequate and decrepit. So the SRC does not use LSU state funding at all. The students themselves pay for it because they want it.

LSUDad likes this.
  7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

DESTIN, Fla. – LSU athletics took in more revenue than all but one Southeastern Conference school during the 2013-14 school year and ranked sixth nationally in revenue overall.

In numbers compiled by USA Today, LSU raked in $133.7 million in revenue while spending $122.9 million.

Only Oregon ($196 million), Texas ($161 million), Michigan ($157.9 million), fellow SEC member Alabama ($153.2 million) and Ohio State ($145.2 million) had higher revenue.

LSU ranked fifth in spending, behind only Texas ($154.1 million), Michigan ($142.6 million), SEC rival Auburn ($126.5 million) and Wisconsin ($125.1 million), leaving the program with a surplus of $10.7 million.

More On This Topic
    In addition, of 230 athletic departments ranked, LSU was one of only seven that relied completely on self-generated revenue along with Texas, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Penn State, Nebraska and Purdue. Every other SEC school received some sort of subsidy, the least being Kentucky with $861,548.

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

They should probably have listed the schools who aren't included based on private status or state regulation issues. I can think of two off-hand that would change their top 10 lists.

LSUDad likes this.
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

LSU athletic department gives back to the university around $7M/year. The list that gives back to their university is very short.

10. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I was talking about their methodology explanation....
    "The data, updated for 2014, are based on the revenue and expense reports collected from more than 225 public schools in the NCAA's Division I that have an obligation to release the data (the NCAA does not release the data publicly). The others are private or are covered under a state exemption."

The two schools I was thinking of are private, and therefore, not included in the results.

LSUDad likes this.