News LSU hires Va. Tech assistant Jeff Grimes for offensive line job

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

From what I understand this was one of those "is what it is" kind of hires. I think we couldn't afford the "sexy hires" this go around. We still owe money to stud and to kragthorpe and on top of that we have the highest paid coaching staff in the nation. I guess everyone (except the US government) has to have a budget of some kind.

Not a huge fan of this hire, but I hope he proves me wrong. I would have preferred either Mawae or Sale. That being said ANYTHING is better than stud, so overall it is a step up.

2. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

What is a "sexy hire" for offensive line? I don't think money was an issue here. I think the staff believes they got the right guy.

Cajun Sensation likes this.
  3. Rouxleaux

Rouxleaux Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?

I stated above Mawae or Sale would have been a start.

From what I understand Alleva wasn't going to sign off on the money required to get the bigger names on the list, such as a Mawae or Sale (This from an interview Mike Scarborough did earlier in the week)

4. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Granted, I haven't been all the way plugged in on this, but did Mawae/Sale want substantially more money than Grimes? Considering the gap in experience, I'd be surprised if that were the case.

5. Cajun Sensation

Cajun Sensation I'm kind of a big deal Staff Member

This. If it was about $$, they would have hired Mawae or Sale. It wasn't.

LSU got who they wanted.

titoabad1 and LSUDad like this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Need to do a little more homework. LSU went after the coach with the Ravens, the Ravens put up more money to keep him. As for Sale, he is doing good where he is right now. Mawae, doesn't need the money, has done well over the years and will do well. OL coaches, you don't see a "sexy hire," very few are. Always been this way. I like the hire and the more I talk with people I know, the better I feel that Cam and Les got a coach that will do us very well.
    Grimes spent time in the Tx area and over the South, hes known as one of the better closers in recruiting. Check his resume and who hes worked for and with, impressive, very impressive. Look at who he played under in college, an OL dream.
    Les and Cam know coaches, they've been through this before. Look at the last few hires by Les, look at Cams resume, this one is too easy.

gyver and DarkHornet like this.
  7. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

Mawae, Sale and Wilkerson were the little names on the list. Neither of those 3 would have been able to demand a high salary at this point in their careers.

cajdav1, DarkHornet and LSUDad like this.
  8. plotalot

plotalot Veteran Member

Also worth noting, is if even one of these three makes it to the point that they are the go to guy, he'll be the exception rather than rule.

LSUDad likes this.
  9. TwistedTiger

TwistedTiger Founding Member

I think all three have great potential, just little to no experience. Especially for a job at a program on LSUs level.

LSUDad likes this.
  10. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Grimes is also known as a good recruiter and closer. Most of what I'm getting is the guy can coach the OL, make them play together as one, which is often needed in football. Now Grimes will sell LSU, something that shouldn't be a problem. He should be announced this weekend, when the group of players come in for visits. Les will want to show of his new hire, give him time to move in on the recruits. These kids know Studs, Grimes should be night and day.