LSU Hoops Media Day

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 14, 2010.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Just have to throw out there, that yesterday Trent and Van kicked off discussions of what should be a new season with a fair amount of excitement around the program. Ladies started official practice already, and Trent's boys start officially this Friday. With the new practice facility, and also the evolution of new players and primarily Trent and Van recruits, I hope folks are jazzed about seeing the maturation of some talented ball players.

Trent's media transcript and player quotes: Johnson, Tigers Hold Annual Media Day - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

To me here are some of the highlights and more non-obvious. When you actually listen to the entire press conference, you:

1. Get the feeling that Trent knows where he wants folks to play. No question, Bass, Populist and Stringer are 1s, Dotson and Turner are 2s, Derenbecker and Harris will play 3 (Harris may also play 4), Ludwig, Warren, Green, and White split time at 4/5. Turner and Derenbecker then could see playing time at same time.

2. Trent is holding out hope for young guns, but he's still paying lip service to the older guys and those who are showing their commitment in practice. Dotson should look better. Ludwig also continues to improve. A lot of emphasis still on Bass, and the need for him to improve. Jury's still out on Harris and Green--they're all talent in practice, but do they show up in games? Stringer is definitely getting mention for his offensive creativity. Turner quietly is competing at 2. Derenbecker, while certainly in development, is likely going to struggle with college/SEC speed--hence the 3 spot.

3. Commitment and team chemistry is up. Which makes you wonder how a Tas'/Bo' conflict last year really did play on team chemistry. You should see more sharing the ball this year, with potentially faster play and more substitutions.

4. No commitment to starting 5. The only guarantee is probably Malcolm White. Healthy competition at every spot is driving better improvement. If you ask me, I think the starting 5 is likely Bass, Dotson, Harris, Warren, White in the early games, with Stringer, Turner, Derenbecker and Ludwig, all with a chance to come in early or move things around. One of Stringer, Turner may end up starting to give that line up a shooter.

5. Funny, the transcript doesn't get to this, but there was actually some discussion of walk-on seven footer, Andrew Del Peiro. Trent actually seems very intrigued by this kid. So much so, that he says that for the first time in his coaching career, he's going to insist that his strength and conditioning coach stays home during road games to ensure that Andrew and Justin Hamilton are being worked out. Says that in a year or two, Andrew actually might have a future. Interesting?

All in all, I think the keys for me are, young team with some interesting pieces. Different skill levels and the excitement of watching games where fresh faces could potentially step up. This year will better show the value of good coaching and player development. With the potential announcement today of Johnny O'Bryant's commitment to LSU, it's a good time to get excited about LSU basketball!

P.S. Fans get a preview of the team this Saturday around the McNeese game... Basketball Fans Invited to Autograph Session - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

2. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

I can't wait. I look for Stringer to start from day one over Bass who just does'nt give you much on the offensive side of the ball.

3. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

Well, look at it this way, nowhere to go but up.

4. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Don't sell Derenbecker short. Ludwig was able to find a way to contribute last season, and Derenbecker is a much better player.

Also, is Jalen Courtney not eligible? I don't see him mentioned anywhere, yet he's on the roster posted on the website.

I can't imagine anyone keeping Storm Warren out of the starting 5.

Is Del Peiro not eligible? Any idea why?

Thanks for the report, HornLand. I think we're positioning to be upper echelon in the conference for the next several years, not just these one-year flashes we saw under Brady.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

I'm not selling anyone short, I'm just giving folks my take on what was said at the press conference. Jalen is on the team and eligible, it just wasn't apparent in Trent's comments, where Jalen fit. I do think Jalen will be another 3/4 tweener. He's probably going to get reps at the 4 behind Storm and Ludwig.

I do think that Derenbecker will contribute, but when he was recruited, I did say that the only thing that concerned me about him was his overall quickness. I think he'll need to be on top of his cutting, moving without the ball, passing and money shot to really be a stand out in the SEC. His perimeter defense will leave him vulnerable at times, but within a Trent system to work the ball inside and pop out to Derenbecker or shoot off motion/screen, Matt should, like Ludwig, fit in well to the overall scheme. I'll be interested to see how athletically he fits into the SEC schedule, and frankly, as a result Turner probably has a better chance sooner to get the minutes b/c of his athleticism and overall length--he too, though, will struggle with smaller, quicker 6'2-3" shooting guards in the SEC. I do project Matt to come in and be a "glue" guy though--you always need a guy out there to understand what the coach is calling, spacing and where to go with the ball. As Matt's shot goes, he'll go--expect him to play much like Kinsley did last year, with a little more height and aggression. Interestingly, there was a question from the group about Matt and whether Trent wanted him to add another 10 pound of muscle--Matt also commented that he needed to gain strength. Like Trent, I think the key for Matt is quickness not bulk. He's going to be a solid 3, or spot up 2, if he makes the League, and that's going to require better lateral quickness and consistency on his deep ball.

Del Peiro is eligible as well, my point was just that Trent actually thought there was something there to keep his strength guy working on Andrew--Andrew likely won't be making road trips. I found it interesting b/c usually coaches don't talk about walk-ons. The guy's 7'2" and you can't teach height. But, the kid's only played organize ball since a little bit in high school and he's shown a real want to get better (his dad played in college). The key for him is getting in college basketball shape and shoring up some array of post moves. If there's anyone who can teach him it's Trent.

Agree on Storm, but, as well as he played last year, there's room for improvement. I think that he's going to get some competition from Ludwig whose a little taller and a smart player, although I think Storm starts.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

Latest news: Practice has begun

So, did anyone go to the autograph/practice session?

If not, there is a snipet on LSUsports.net:

Men's Basketball - News - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

Even though it's only a little bit of footage, I'm comforted by the fact that folks appear to be healthy. Dotson looks to have more bounce without any knee brace. Garrett doesn't look like his back bothers him. Dennis Harris still looks skinny. Derenbecker (who admires Manu Ginolbli) actually has Manu's shot.

Now the crew is in full swing, and Trent seems to have a little more spring in his step.

7. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

Hoping for a big bounce-back year for us, but I'll settle for a return to respectability. As long as we're fun to watch and reasonably competitive this year, I'm happy with where Trent has the program going.

Something like 8-8 in the SEC would be fine with me.

8. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

Just saw M. White online at the SEC Basketball Media Day... He was asked if there was a dunk contest between LSU players who would win... MW wasted no time saying Aaron Dotson... He said AD is fully recovered and jumping like a deer... The more I hear about this team the more excited i'm getting about this year... AD and GG have had a full summer to work out without injury, so I think we can expect both to be better... With his size and athleticism MW is going to boost our front court... I think we are flying under the radar and will surprise a few people!

9. TGer'nLHornLand

Yeah, I'm psyched (as always) about the hoops season, but it's weird, b/c really this is one of those pre-seasons where I have no idea what to expect--I'm also tempering my enthusiasm. This team will certainly struggle at times, b/c of their youth and a need to find leadership and an identity, but at the same time, the game is a funny one. We thought we had "leadership" last year with Tas' and Bo. And, yet, chemistry was somehow missing. Along with, of course, overall talent. Today, Trent was quoted at SEC media day talking about how he adjusted from winning the SEC to going to the season he had last year. He made a reference to the dips that UCLA and UNC had last year---with McD All-Americans. We forget that Trent had to go at times with two or three walk-ons on the court last year.

We know this, there is the thrill of the unknown this year. There is also a new style of play--no Tas' who you know is going to get the ball. So, new players all over, fighting for PT. We also have more "traditional" roles being filled by players recruited by Trent. White/Green down low as a center, Warren/Ludwig at the 4, Stringer and Bass at 1, Turner/Dotson at 2, Derenbecker/Harris at 3. Deeper bench at all spots. More rotations, more potential for a hot hand. At the same time, growing pains--will the freshmen be able to defend in the SEC?

I'm also thinking this. Alot has been made by Trent about playing "faster". Bass can push the tempo now with Dotson healthy, Turner and Derenbecker with decent 3 point shots, big guys like Harris, Green who actually can run. We won't have to slow down and keep teams in the 50s to win. We might be able to run and gun in transition, perhaps score in the 70s again. It's funny how style of play and chemistry can make folks look a lot different as players. Gotta be excited, folks. It's a new season.

10. TGer'nLHornLand

More of the Trent and White transcript:

Johnson, White Take Part in SEC Tipoff 2011 - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics

A Malcolm White quote I like (on what he can do to make the Tigers successful this season):

"I think one of the things I can contribute to others is to initiate the first punch instead of receiving it. If we do that, I think we will be a good successful team in the SEC."

I think that's a simplistic way of putting it. Too often last year, LSU was passive, not as tough as they needed to be. As much as Tas' was a figurehead and a good player, it was tough for him to carry the team. We'll see how much fight there is this year and see who steps up.

Congrats, by the way to the many LSU players who will be on NBA rosters at tip-off of the season. Especially kudos to Garrett Temple who looks to be on the roster of the San Antonio Spurs... (funny, remember when I compared GT to Bruce Bowen? :hihi:).

Seven Former Tigers to Open NBA Season - LSUsports.net - The Official Web Site of LSU Tigers Athletics