LSU Hoops Media Day

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 14, 2010.

1. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I'm not being as hard on the SEC as I am LSU's OOC schedule. LSU is missing out on a preseason tournament, while most other teams are all but guaranteed 2-3 games against other "BCS" or high major teams. Florida didn't get into the tournament last year because of the SEC, they did so because of that win @ Michigan St and FSU. They lost all of their big SEC games last year.

I can tell you right now, without beating UVA or Memphis, LSU's OOC RPI will be incredibly low regardless of what they do in any other games. The only other teams that might be top 100 would Wichita St and South Alabama.

At least I'm not the only basketball fan. :thumb:

2. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I'm really looking forward to this season because of LSU's youth. It's be a season to watch and see what kind of coaching job Trent Johnson will put in because of the youth.

Two things I'm going to watch for:

1) unity and cohesion of the team:
    Will the team buy into Johnson's system and execute it well whether or not they're leading or behind, whether they're shooting well or having an off night. It seems to me that this is the first real team of his type of players...There's no real big stars to build a team around, but a lot of good young players to mold into a real team. I love college hoops because TEAM play is it's hallmark. I don't like the NBA as much because the "teams" are really a bunch of talented individuals jockeying for position to get to the playoffs and they happen to wear the same uniform.

2) improvement over the season...from game to game:
    If Johnson can coach these guys to play together well as the season progresses, It'll really set the stage for building a program that is sustainable as opposed to a program who's success is dependant more on how great the previous recruiting classes were. Improvement over the long haul will indicate a lot about his coaching ability.

One thing I didn't like about Brady was his teams success depended more on his recruiting success. I truly believe that Johnsons success will be due to his coaching ability...and that's going to insure that he'll establish LSU as a successful program that's going to maintain itself as one of the best in the SEC Year in and year out...like Kentucky's program.
    I want to see continuity more than a good year every now and then like the rest of the SEC.

3. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

I saw on another message board that Jalen Courtney was closer to 6'5-6'6 then he was to 6'7-6'8... Today in the advocate it was said that the JC and Aaron Dotson were battling for playing time at the two spot... Is that a typo? does anyone have any info on that?

4. QBLuke

QBLuke Hickey Da God

I did read a preview the other day in which Coach Johnson said he wants to play Courtney on the wing. FWIW, the preview listed him at 6'6.

I'm really excited about Courtney and Darenbecker being added to the mix. Plus Malcolm White and an improved Storm Warren, we should be a much more enjoyable team to watch this season.

Lots of young talent, some depth up front for a change (relatively speaking), and a few guys who can score in bunches once they get acclimated.

The other thing I read is that Chris Bass will have his hands full in keeping the starting PG spot. The freshman Stringer is challenging him already, and Trent said he can really shoot.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Based upon looking at the article and listening to Trent's press conference, I have a feeling that this reference above could be a typo. Everything I've seen is that Courtney would be run at the 3, while Dotson and Turner would be at the 2. So, I suspect that there's a combo of Derenbecker, Harris and Courtney at 3, and Dotson and Turner at 2. Now, it would also not surprise me if Courtney turned out to be more 6'5"-6'6", 210 as opposed to 6'7-8" as listed as a recruit. Trent has made jokes about how when he recruited Andre Stringer he was 5'10"-11", and now he's 5'5". In any case, at this stage I know that the coaching staff is experimenting with different sets and combinations. If Courtney is closer to 6'5", and Turner is closer to 6'7", there could be some stuff run with Courtney at 2 and Turner at 3.

In any case, there was far less in the press conference statements about positions, than the Advocate article would lead you to believe.

2theadvocate.com | LSU Men's Basketball | Johnson: LSU big men getting physical — Baton Rouge, LA

I think the nutshell seems to be, at this stage, every position, with the possible exception of Malcolm White is up for grabs. Along those lines, I think that Trent is very aware that some of his players are better "practice players" than gamers. So, he's going to want to see folks like the freshman respond "under the lights."

I really hope for various reasons, that we see Dotson and Green rebound from their injuries--it seems a lot has been made of Dotson's play so far in practice. I think that we'll see Stringer see a lot of PT early, and I also think that Turner will surprise as well. I think that Derenbecker and Harris will continue to be mysteries. You'd like to see Harris really own the 3 spot, and to do that he's going to have to be better on defense and rebounding. Ludwig and Warren are very interesting complements to White, and both will be good 4 options. So, the keys for me are Stringer's development, getting production out of Dotson/Turner and the mystery that is Dennis Harris. If Derenbecker surprises, even better.

6. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

there are many reasons to be hopeful but the truth is there is no one on the roster that can score. two guys better be able to score from the outside or the team wont be much better.

7. mrgreen21

mrgreen21 Founding Member

And you know this cause you've been to the practices and have seen that the freshman won't transition well to the collage game and none of the returning players have gotten better?

8. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Stringer will be an outside threat. Book it!

9. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Well, this is all relative to last year, isn't it? :)

It's funny you say that because EVERY year, college teams with decent recruiting classes generally pick up kids who can "score." Derenbecker averaged 27 points in high school. Stringer close to 30. So, I think the line from Trent is that while there may not be a guy on this team who will go out and get you 30 or 40 points (and that's not always a good thing anyway), there's going to be a lot better balance this year.

I think if your baseline is asking for folks like Kinsley, or some walk-ons to help you score, you're going to think this year's team can score. I also think that scoring in hoops is very much a fine line... alot depends on confidence and team chemistry on offense. This is what we do know, this team will spread the ball around, pass the ball better, and have some kids on the floor that will, hopefully, buy into Trent's system. The ball goes inside into a true post, Malcolm White, and he can get fouled or at least draw a double team. The ball skips out to an open spot up shooter--Derenbecker, Turner. You have a healthy Dotson slashing to the hoop, or Stringer, a point guard with some notariety and a pretty consistent outside shot who is capable of breaking someone down off the dribble. If we spread the floor and push the ball in transition, we've got folks that can fill the lane and hit open jumpers.

So, I think we'll be vastly improved on the ability to score, whether we do it, of course remains to be seen, as you suggested.

10. gumborue

gumborue Throwin Ched

sorry, garrett's dad, but you dont know til they do it. if bo or tas was back i'd have more confidence in what to expect from them, but we have no idea if stringer can throw it in the ocean or if your son will improve. as a fan, if you count on that you are clueless. i am hopeful though because there are so many players with promise. some will pan out, especially with a top coach.