LSU Hoops Media Day

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 14, 2010.

1. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Hmmm... based upon the scrimmage weekend and reports, i think i'll be spot on. Of the freshmen, we'll see Stringer and Turner sooner. Dotson and Turner starting at 2 and 3 is not a huge surprise given that those two are your most athletic guards, and from what we can tell, are capable of matching up physically and defensively. I like what we see about Turner's shot and if he can complement that with Dotson's aggressiveness going to the hoop, it'll be considerably more offense from the 2/3. No surprise, Warrren and White are the front court, but what is this "shoulder injury"? I think we'll see Ludwig alot in reserve, again.

What is the deal with Harris, Green and Bass? Bass, will likely get a lot of time still at point, but clearly his lack of offense, is pointing towards Stringer starting. But a bruised heel for Harris? Bad back for Garrett? You're beginning to wonder whether these guys just have the work ethic to build up physically. Which is kind of crazy. Harris is a guy who showed promise last year, and should be taking a step forward.

Can't wait to see how they look on Friday....

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Anybody know the latest word on KC Ross-Miller's eligibility problems?

3. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Miller was deemed ineligible over the summer by NCAA. It's a little fuzzy to me because based upon LSU/SEC's requirements, he was ineligible. But, Miller has transfered to Florida International, and according to their standards he was eligible there. Interesting. But nevertheless, no Miller.

4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I am really excited to see this team play. I might go to the scrimmage tonight. I think it is open to the public. I'm not going to be able to make the season opener, because I am going to the Notre Dame Utah game. But I hope to make the rest of the home games.

5. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

look out for nicholls... and no, i'm not joking. anatoly bose is for real. he threw up a double-double on LSU last season in a three point loss and this season he has veteran help. should be interesting. :lsup:

6. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

Back from the team scrimmage. I've got some thoughts

Ralston Turner was the best player on the floor by far. He should be starting at SF. He must've had close to 30 points. He's got a good three point shot and a decent mid-range game. I'm most excited to see him play in real games.

Aaron Dotson got hot late in the game. If I'm basing the starters on this game, he's starting shooting guard.

The point guards were generally chuckers. Lots of ill-advised 3 pointers and very little dribble penetration or passing to the big men. I wasn't overly impressed with anyone in particular. I'd start Daron Populist judging by the scrimmage.

Like I said in the last point, there wasn't much passing to the big men, and when they tried they were generally turnovers. I think our forwards are relatively weak. Jalen Courtney seemed to have a better mid range game than Storm Warren. I would start Storm Warren because I've seen him play for a few years. He had some good, physical play, but wasn't able to finish on a lot of plays. He also seemed to get subbed out a lot, probably so the coaches could see new players.

Dennis Harris would be starter at center. I didn't see much from the others, and he got in foul trouble and really never got going. Personally I'd rather see 2 power forwards play than 1 and a center, however against these little schools to start the year maybe they will improve.

Eddie Ludwig looked pretty bad offensively, but with his size and hustle he could be a good defender off the bench.

Matt Derenbecker has a good 3 point shot. He started off hot, but when he started to miss he becomes a huge liability on the floor. He will be good off the bench in times when we need a shooter with size. In a year or 2 hopefully he can improve his game to be able to work inside. He looked to be 6'7"ish(and now that I look he's listed there", but played like a shooting guard.

Overall none of the others really stuck out.

My expectations don't change on the season. The offense still needs to work on getting the ball inside and not shooting a lot of 3's.

7. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

I thought Malcolm White did a decent job in a few stretches. I was sitting about 20 feet away from Trent and he was really emphasizing aggressive play and speed in transition, but that often led to turnovers.

8. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I've already concluded well before this game that scrimmages are not the place to judge forwards. Too many other players are all trying to find their shot and team play isn't emphasized as much. It's been like that for most teams I've ever seen.

9. JayB

JayB Never Forget 31

it's nice to see someone else here that likes to talk hoops. it's busy here around football season, it seems, and that's it. during hoops and baseball season it's slowwwwwww on here.

10. Tigers Paw

Tigers Paw Founding Member

It 's going to take some time for this team to gel with the youth and new players. Let's see how they progress over the next month and a half.