LSU in as a 9 seed vs NC St

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by tirk, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Neither Martin nor Mickey are ready for the NBA. Their skills could use another year at least of developing. Imagine also them practicing with the guys we'll hopefully field next year. They also won't be worn down as much from such heavy minutes allowing them to go full tilt without fear of gassing out at the end (which arguably we did repeatedly anyway) .. which will improve their stock greatly.

Jones can recruit like crazy, but man, we're really lacking in the tactics department. The inability to hit free throws in such volume for an entire season and to have that send you home from the Madness is, well, maddening.

Sourdoughman, COTiger and ParadiseiNC like this.
  2. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

If NCST goes on a run, that's gonna be hard to take, cos it should have been us. Oh well. It seems like Martin is much better prepared than Mickey (though the opposite seemed true earlier in the season).

Brian and ParadiseiNC like this.
  3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Yeah, I agree. Martin has stepped it up a notch this past month, while Mickey has seemed fatigued, and did not seem to show up for some games. Martin seems more ready, but both could use another year. If they come back, they will be the leaders, will be hyped up a lot by media since they were almost set to come out this year but are back, and our team would have a nice blend of experience, talent, and depth. I think if we get Malik's commitment in addition to Simmons, Blakeney, and Victor, and JM2 come back, we would start the year in the top 5. That's not even counting TQ, KH, Patterson, and Gray. Finally, our team would be stacked.

lsu-i-like and Brian like this.
  4. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Agreed. Martin has the skillset that's quicker to translate to the NBA. He can be the tweener big three or that stretch four that everyone loves. However, he's gonna get pushed around by fours down low in the Association and I don't think his perimeter defense is anywhere where it needs to be for him to try and stay with threes.. Mickey could become a Brandon Bass type if he comes back and really works on his jumper because his size he needs to be able to stretch his man offensively cause he's a bit undersized. They both seem like tremendous workers and go full tilt which is why returning would benefit them so much.

lsu-i-like, ParadiseiNC and shane0911 like this.
  5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

This is my biggest thing, they both will do something once in a while that blows you away but the norm is footwork, position, ability to keep the ball in traffic, perimeter defense are all things that prove that they need a lot of work on.

ParadiseiNC and Brian like this.
  6. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

Yep objectively them boys need some college reps.

Brian likes this.
  7. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Totally with you there. Look at a guy like David West.. spent four years at Xavier and was a stud collegiate player. Went in the mid-late first round to the Hornets and he almost was cut. Took him a couple years to adjust from college to the pros. He did make the transition though and has had a heckuva nice career still going in Indy..

More kids who aren't slam dunk athletic freaks that can rely on that athleticism to stick around while they learn the technique should stay in school and get the fundamentals down. If you can play you'll eventually make it to an NBA roster. But come in too early and they'll spit you out and good luck after that.

ParadiseiNC and shane0911 like this.
  8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Funny that you bring up DWest. Agree completely. His work ethic and willingness to transition his body and game is what has allowed him to make it in the NBA. That, and that he is money from 17 or closer. Growing up, DWest played in an arena that my son plays his middle school ball right now. Crappy little place, LOL.

Brian likes this.
  9. Brian

Brian Founding Member

That's cool! David's jump shot was terrible his first two years with the Hornets. He had no confidence. He really has worked himself into shape. I remember though the reason he got so much rope from the organization was due to him being a first rounder with obvious talent and a quality skillset from being in college for four years. If you don't have that backing by the organization, you're in trouble. I don't see either Martin or Mickey having that kind of backing even if they manage to make it into the very end of the first round.

It's a great payday IF you make the team and then can hang around the association for a few years at least. Stromile and Tyrus had such crazy athleticism that they hung around for years despite not really being complete players. Brandon Bass and David West is who they should model themselves after. Heck, Marcus Thornton was a second rounder and he got so much playing time due to massive injuries to the Hornets.

10. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

When do we find out when they're leaving (or staying)?