LSU in National Championship game?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roynav, Nov 7, 2010.

1. roynav

roynav free your mind

Assuming LSU finishes VERY strong and is clicking on both sides of the ball, how might they make the NC game?

Any chance of two SEC teams in the title game? Hey, the SEC owns the BCS, so not as crazy as the rest of the nation might think.

If the investigations into Auburn turn up proof of money changing hands, any chance at all that Auburn would have to forfeit games this season, while it still matters? Like before the season ends?

Even if Auburn doesnt forfeit any games in time for it to matter, if they end up with one loss, but before the bowls are selected, proof has turned up money changed hands, couldnt that give a huge boost to voters who would prefer a clean 1 loss LSU team that finished strong, over a recent loss Auburn team that was dirty?

I think this is a young LSU team, and I'm not sure they belong in the NC game (this year...next year could be the Tigers year), but if they finish strong this could be interesting.

2. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

We need Auburn to drop 2 to Georgia and Bama. If that doesn't happen, forget Auburn somehow being left out due to what is (for the time being) sketchy allegations. It would take the NCAA months to fully investigate, and even if Newton is found to be in violation, Auburn would only vacate wins and LSU wouldn't directly benefit. Voters aren't going to penalize Auburn now for something that could turn out to be nothing.

Of course, far stranger things have happened.

3. Bandit88

Bandit88 Old Enough to Know Better

Really just one possibility: LSU wins out and Auburn chokes against Bama and Georgia.

Without winning the SEC, LSU stands a chance of a BCS (Sugar Bowl) bid, but will not go to the big game to play Auburn unless TCU and Boise State lose AND Oregon loses. Not likely at all.

4. TigerBacker70

TigerBacker70 I'm the Cock of the Walk!

It's way too early to be thinking about this.

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

LSU COULD win out, but I tell you, Ark is HOTT right now.

I want to get past these next two weeks and think about Ark First, but while I am up:

I think this LSU team is damn good. On the D, we are VERY young at some VERY key spots. This isnt a bad thing though as they are playing their ass off....

No question LSU could hold their own in the Big game, however, Oregon and maybe TCU and BSU could give LSU all they wanted and more if LSU slips after this great Bama win.

I think We get a BCS bowl, which is AWESOME........

Again, ARK is going to BE a real fight.....

6. TCUTiger

TCUTiger Founding Member

I agree............it helps that Childs is out with injury but now Arky is running the ball pretty well. There is no comparison in Ala QB and Ark.
    Good QB beat us at Auburn...........a good QB that played LSU pretty well last year from Arky scares me this year.:geaux:

7. roynav

roynav free your mind

Yes, but the media is already speculating. Some are saying LSU's chances of playing in the NC are better than playing in the SEC championship.

If Auburn and LSU finish with one loss, the fact that Auburn's loss will be more recent will count against them. Its happened once before that a team that didnt win their conference, leapfrogged the team that did. And on top of that, if dirt turns up on the Auburn program, thats got to work against them. Then assuming the Ducks, TCU and Boise St are undefeated, do you really take any 2 of them over a 1-loss SEC team?

Moot point if the Tigers dont win out and look impressive doing so. As for Arkansas, you've got to think its payback time.

8. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Personally, what I think is more likely is ALA beating AUB, thus dropping them below us late in the year with no opportunity left to get back up. Obviously, we have to win out, including SEC CG. Even if Oregon does not lose to Oreg. St., we may jump above either BSU or TCU, but doubtful above both, thus we may get left out at #3 at that point. If Oreg. St. beats Oregon, then we are set. We have obviously got to win out, and win SEC CG, though.

9. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

A lot is gonna have to happen for LSU to jump some of the teams to get to the MNC. Here is one thing that could hurt the SEC regardless of whether it is us or AU who win the west. The SECe maybe putting an unranked team in the SECCG to face off against the west. With them now premiering a 3 loss team, at best, none of their teams may be ranked at that time.

10. Herb

Herb Founding Member

But wouldn't the argument highlighting that an unranked opponent made it to the SECCG would focus scrutiny on the schedules of Boise and TCU? You can't discount the SEC Champion by saying they played an unranked team in their conference championship game without putting the rest of the top few teams' schedules under the microscope.

LSU has played 5 ranked teams so far (all were ranked ahead of LSU at the time of the game) and beat 4 of them. The only ranked teams Boise played were ranked so far behind them it was inconsequential (VT was ranked 10th but is now ranked 22nd and Oregon State). TCU played #24 Oregon State (now unranked) and a very overrated Utah at #5 (Utah should drop down to about 13th).