LSU in National Championship game?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roynav, Nov 7, 2010.

1. cywar1

cywar1 BIGG DOGG

NOT SO FAST LSU FANS....we only beat alabama ... still a lot of football to play..a lot of things need to happen for LSU to be in the BCSNCG... boise st., tcu, oregon, need to lose a game which i dont see happening especially with boise and tcu..now auburn has to lose both games to keep them out of the SECCG...which in this conference could happen...but i just dont see it...lets take this one game at a time and not get too ahead of ourselves....

:geaux:

2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

funnier things have happened. can you say 2007?

3. locoguano

locoguano Founding Member

Nevada will give Boise a huge run for its money...

4. cywar1

cywar1 BIGG DOGG

AT THE BUNNY RANCH.......

:geaux:

5. XofDallas

XofDallas Freshman

Only way this can happen would be one of the two situations:

1. LSU gets into, and wins, SEC Championship game. That requires that Auburn lose twice and LSU runs the table. In addition, two out of three of Boise State, Oregon or TCU has to lose at once - and even then it's an iffy thing.

2. If LSU doesn't get into, and win, the SEC championship game, (i.e., Auburn wins at least one of the next two games), Auburn would have to lose the SEC Championship game AND all but one of the following things has to happen: (a) Ohio State, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Oklahoma State each loses another game; (b) Boise State and TCU each lose at least one game (and preferably two); and (c) Stanford loses another game.

The reasoning behind alternative 2 above is that not being the SEC champion would be an absolutely huge obstacle for LSU to overcome, even with only one loss. The only time a non-conference champion playing in the BCS Championship ever happened was with Nebraska about a decade ago, and it took an incredible series of upsets for that to happen (a series of four teams above them getting beaten in order over a two week period). Even then, the AP sportswriters made a concerted effort to influence the voting so Nebraska wouldn't take second in the BCS scoring system (but somehow the AP writers never thought their attempted vote-rigging was a bad thing at the time), and Nebraska did get trounced in the Championship game. I just don't see that kind of scenario happening again.

6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

Wrong. tOSU, Wisconsin, Nebraska, and Okie Light are all behind LSU, and if LSU wins out, they would continue to be. (Yeah, Wisconsin is #5 in the Coaches, but won't be in the BCS...which happens to be all that matters.)tOSU and Wisconsin don't even HAVE a CCG.

Another thing. Assuming LSU wins out, as well as TCU and Boise, LSU will climb and they will fall. Based purely on strength of schedule.

Clearly, the obvious best case scenario is UGA and Bama beat AU, and LSU win out thru the SECCG. But those teams in your second scenario have no chance of passing LSU if LSU wins out.

7. XofDallas

XofDallas Freshman

Fishhead, you may be right - but I doubt it. You'd still have several one-loss conference winners to contend with - Ohio State or Wisconsin, the winner of the Big 12 Championship and Stanford (Pac 10 champ if Oregon loses, I think) to contend with - as well as whoever it is that would win the SEC Championship if LSU didn't make it and Auburn lost the championship game.

I just don't see LSU ending the year higher than all those teams without playing in, and winning, the SEC Championship game. Someone would jump LSU in the polls in the final week.

The fun part now is seeing how it all plays out.

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

I agree that's the BEST way...but on what basis do you have tOSU or Wisconsin jumping an LSU team that wins out. You do realize they would have to JUMP us. tOSU and Wiscy, as well as Nebraska and Okie Light...are behind LSU in the computers for a reason. Their SOS sucks. And tOSU and Wiscy don't even have a CCG to bolster their resume.

9. COramprat

COramprat Simma Da Na

We can speculate and make up scenarios all we want. It doesn't matter. It's the team that has to stay focused.

10. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

And that, my friend, is a great feeling.