LSU in National Championship game?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roynav, Nov 7, 2010.

1. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

A 3 loss UF team will be ranked, even a 4 loss team if that loss is to AU...

LSU was ranked last year in the teens with 4 losses....

2. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I think we are in over our head. I would love a NCG, but this team in inconsistent. Really..

What I think is best for this team is our one loss to be to AU who wins out and we win out getting a nice BCS bowl....

Next year the magic happens..

Anyway, ARK is going to be a hard game.......

3. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

People are funny. Now I'm not saying LSU has been playing like a NC team, but to think that AU winning out and LSU getting a lesser bowl is "best for this team" is ridiculous. If AU beats UGA, then we don't stand a chance. But as long as we stand a chance, I'm pulling for LSU, and against everyone in the way. Period.

4. TigerCliff

TigerCliff Veteran Member

We will get a bump beating a very good Ark team at Arky!

For this team to go 11-1 and playing it's best ball at the end of the year - I am very happy.

BCS Bowl and watch out 2011

5. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

I pull for LSU too, but like I said, we are inconsistent. We still have to beat Ol Piss and a VERY good ARK team...

6. roynav

roynav free your mind

Strongly disagree with "dont stand a chance." What if Auburn loses to the SECe foe in the title game? What, the SECe team then represents the SEC in the best bowl? Does Auburn play for the NC even though they didnt win the league Championship?

What if Auburn loses to UGA or Bama, and in the conference title game? What if LSU looks great winningvs Arkansas but Bama beats Auburn badly? What if Auburn and LSU finish with one loss, but Auburn then has a later loss AND they find evidence that Auburn was paying for players? Hard for me to see voters ranking Auburn ahead of LSU at that point.

Yes, premature to get too excited. Both Auburn and LSU could have 3 losses each before the bowls are selected. If LSU loses its next 2 games the Fire Les threads will start up again.

7. col reb

col reb Founding Member

Forget OM...Just relax and have fun....no problem there.....:thumb:

8. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

If AU loses to the SECe foe in the SECCG, then whoever that is will represent the SEC in the Sugar.

Best case scenario, LSU wins out, and AU loses out. LSU will at the very least go to the Sugar, and possibly the NCG. (Again, by "wins out", I mean all the way out thru the SECCG)

2nd best case scenario, LSU wins out, and AU wins out. All the way out. Then AU goes to the NCG, and LSU to the Sugar.

If AU loses in the SECCG, the winner (UF or USCe) goes to the Sugar, and the SEC only has one team in the BCS. I suppose there's a scenario where LSU wins out, AU beats UGA, but then loses one or two, and LSU still could wind up #2 in the BCS at the end. But that's a very unlikely scenario.

9. roynav

roynav free your mind

Good article in the WSJ about BCS permutations.

I like

"TCU would seem to be in great shape in this competition, being the current No. 3 and just having delivered what's perceived as one of the more impressive performances of the season. (Of course, it could just be that Utah wasn't that good to begin with: The Utes have beaten two teams with winning records this season, Pittsburgh and Air Force, by a combined eight points.) But that hardly means the Horned Frogs will remain in front of the Broncos."

Now think about that a second. TCU is getting all these accolades in the media for stomping an undefeated Utah team. But this supposedly fantastic Utah team had only beaten two bottom tier winning teams all season and by a total of 8 points? But TCU might be taken ahead of a one-loss SEC team? Really? Really really?

Article also said

Who's No. 3 is of vital importance now, since there are no other undefeated teams and no more viable one-loss contenders. The best of those is LSU, which knocked Alabama out of the race Saturday but will be locked out of the SEC title game if Auburn defeats Georgia on Saturday. Granted, it's not impossible to reach the national-title game without winning one's own conference—Nebraska did so in 2001 and Oklahoma in 2003—but there were no other undefeated alternatives those years.

College Football 2010: Before Goliath, David vs. David - WSJ.com

10. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

I don't see that happening. If AU and LSU are both 1 loss teams, they will likely rank AU above LSU.

But .. stranger things have happened.