LSU in National Championship game?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by roynav, Nov 7, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

the game against auburn was on the road also, that will factor in with your scenario.

I just don't think TCU or Boise should be allowed to play for the marbles. I mean seriously, Notre Dame gets laughed at every year because of their weak ass schedule and they play a harder schedule than TCU and Boise combined.

2. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

The likelihood of LSU making it to the MNC without winning out and ending up in the SECCG is almost impossible. That said I still do not get the love for TCU and BSU, neither of them have the resume that any of the top 5 have.

AU is 5-0 against the top 25, LSU is 5-1 against the top 25 (either were ranked or are ranked currently). Both TCU and BSU have only played 2 top 25 teams this season and the rest of their schedules the teams all have losing records. Undefeated or not they haven't played the caliber of teams that the rest of the top 5-10 have.

If we played their schedule we would be undefeated, but would be crucified for playing such a weak schedule. I don't care how impressive they have looked, because it is easy to look impressive when your schedule ranks around 90th in the country.

Unfortunately for us the UT game will bite us in the azz no matter what happens. Voters will continue to look at that game as a should have been a loss. The only way we jump into position for the MNC is to win out, end up winning the SECCG, and either Ore, TCU, or BSU loses a game. An exception to this might be if UNC and WVU both somehow end up ranked again and LSU's over record is 6-1 against the top current ranked top 25, come the end of the season. If that happens and AU loses 1 and the SECCG we might jump TCU and BSU.

3. onceanlsufan

onceanlsufan Founding Member

This is the point I'm making! The SEC CG can be a blessing or a curse. If you are on the borderline, and win, it can put you in the dance. If you are on the borderline, or even figured to be at the dance, .. .and lose, it can knock you out.

It rarely happens that such a weak opponent shows up to the SEC CG, but that is what will happen this year. Fl or SC do not bring any gravitas to the game, ... but they can damn sure be a spoiler. Even if AU goes 12-0 regular play ... but loses the SEC CG, that would hit them hard ... real hard, as losing to either would be a loss to a lower ranked team.

Once again, you get in those tie situations ..... lets say FL wins the east ... and FL pulls a rabbit out of its butt and beats AU in the SECCG ..... so ... FL beats AU who beats LSU who beats FL. IMO .. losing to a team that is lower ranked than you hurts more than losing to a team ranked above you.

Granted ... I don't expect any of this to happen. An undefeated AU will likely meet an undefeated Oregon in the NC game. ... BUT ... stranger things have happened. ... I hear AJ Green had a hell of game last week :D

:geaux:

4. col reb

col reb Founding Member

I don't think you will ever see a playoff....Number one, the atheletic directors do not want it. The players do not want it. If you added about three more games for the "select" eight, the regular season would have to end at ten games instead of twelve. Maybe even nine. The other one hundred and ten (approx) schools would lose the revenue of the shorter season. The bowls also do not want it either. Money talks and there would be too much lost with shorter seasons. And games can't just be cancelled. Say this year LSU was chosen as one of the final eight after next week. You can't say, "well, the OM and Ark games will not be played so we can start the playoff run. However, games not involving the chosen few will be played as scheduled." Sometimes those last two games eliminate one or two of the chosen ones. JMO

5. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

WOW! And you came at ME so hard on my "Rematches Happen" thread? What a phuckin hypocrite. You have no honor. This truly does show your "True Colors." :lol:

See what you get when you try to stir in the muck?

It's all good though.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fishhead

Fishhead Founding Member

:hihi: