LSU Indian Mounds

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by HatcherTiger, Sep 14, 2010.

1. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And the anthropology students will be hanging out there trying to keep people off the mounds. One of the grad students in my lab told me that they were expecting ugly confrontations because the police won't enforce the rules against walking on the mounds.

3. khounba

khounba Founding Member

This is going to be fun to watch.

4. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

man i used to love those when i was a kid. You can't keep kids off the mounds, that just ain't right.

5. khounba

khounba Founding Member

And you know 6,000 years ago little Indians used to slide down it on their water buffalo hide. Hell they didn't have T.V.

6. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

They are priceless historic and archaeological structures that are older than the pyramids and they have been badly abused over the years and are worn down badly. Read the article.

Kids can slide down the hill behind the Journalism building and have done so for many decades.

7. pharpe

pharpe Founding Member

Is there anything in them or are they just piles of dirt, clay and rock?

8. SyrTiger

SyrTiger ooo yea thats hot

I thought they were just fake and a representation of what Indian mounds would look like.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

I really don't understand the significance of piles of dirt. It's not like they are shaped like that awesome snake in Ohio. These are literally piles of dirt.

I grew up around a ton of Indian burial grounds. There was one on some land my grandparents owned, one on my elementary school playground, and one along a bayou in my neighborhood. My friends and I never dug in them, but our parents all did when they were kids. We used to find all kinds of awesome Indian stuff laying around in the woods though. Mostly pipes and pots. One of my friends swears he found a tomahawk, but I didn't think the Houmas used them, so I was pretty sure it was fake.

I am going to make two giant dirt piles in my backyard, so people will think I am neat and awesome. I could probably do it in about 30 minutes with a dump truck from Clegg's.

1 person likes this.
  10. HatcherTiger

HatcherTiger Freedom Isn't Free

Jimmy Hoffa