LSU / Iowa Rose Bowl... what will it take?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by FloridaHawk82, Jan 17, 2005.

1. FloridaHawk82

FloridaHawk82 Founding Member

Since LSU has recent experience making it to (and winning) the BIG GAME, I'm curious what LSU fans think it will take for the Tigers to make a visit to Pasadena?

I'm going to give my best attempt in regards to LSU, as I am admittedly still trying to learn more about your team. Since this is an LSU forum, I'll keep the Iowa part to a summary of what it will take for us to meet you in CA.

What does it take to win a MNC?

1. Great Players
    2. Great Coaching/Gameplan
    3. A little luck along the way
    4. A favorable schedule can help
    5. Sometimes help from another team(s)

LSU:
    Players: IMO, LSU has enough top-level players to field two teams... one to win the SEC, the second-string to win the Big 12-North! On offense, there is so much returning talent, it is ridiculous. If Russell fulfills his potential, LSU will score a LOT of points. On defense, replace the corners with the all-world talent waiting behind them, stick another cookie-cutter LSU DE on the edge, and maybe strengthen the LB position a bit (In the Cap1, the LSU D was amazing... in my opinion, the front 4 and back 4 were amazing, the middle 3 were very good)

Coaching: I know this is an awfully sensitive subject, but I SERIOUSLY believe Miles MIGHT be a better fit at this stage in your evolution. Saban was the best guy to revamp and rebuild, and put in place an amazing defensive system. His offense could have been more creative to use the immense talent on that side of the ball. Just my opinion, so don't crucify me! If Miles & Co. are smart, they will somewhat adjust their D philosophy to the current system, and avoid re-education of the defensive players. On offense, Miles will open things up A LOT. The guy can flat-out coach.

Luck: Usually a given... nothing to discuss.

Schedule: Schedules just simply don't set up any better than LSU will have in 2005! Your 4 toughest games at home... Tenn, Florida, Auburn, and Arizona State... with the home field advantage you enjoy, there is no way to complain about the schedule...

Help: Beating ASU at home will be double-beneficial, because I truly think ASU has a shot at beating fUSC in Tempe... I think Ohio State will beat Texas in Columbus, and Texas will finally beat Oklahoma. Hopefully the Florida teams beat each other up again.

IOWA:
    Players: Our offense will be better... return of our normal running game, most everybody back... Tate will get much better. Our defensive back 7 will be as good as any in the country, but we have to replace all 4 DL... I think Iowa will platoon 6-8 very good, young DL next year... Our season could ride on their development.

Coaching: No need to discuss... needless to say, Iowa fans feel blessed every year Ferentz keeps Iowa City his home.

Luck: Again, we all need it. TIowa needs things like having the best defense in the country (LSU) have an assignment breakdown on the last play of the game, if you know what I mean? :wink:

Schedule: Iowa has to play AT Ohio State, Wisconsin, and Purdue, and Iowa State, who might have one of their best teams ever (and they always play tough, because they hate us!). Michigan at home is the only real break, as Minnesota might be a bit down this year. The only "break" Iowa gets is that our OCC is weak, but not by choice. Missouri backed out on a home/home with us (pu$$ies) , leaving us to scramble and schedule 1-AA Northern Iowa... THAT could end up hurting us, depending what the BCS comes up with.

Help: We need pretty much the same help as LSU, or any team (see above)... We get our shots to eliminate Michigan and OSU from the MNC picture.

OK, sorry that was SO long.... I'm very interested in Tiger opinions on my thoughts regarding what ya'll need to make it to Pasadena!

2. TexasTigers

TexasTigers Are You With Me ?

The Iowa Recruiting class is shaping up nicely. Big 10 is pretty good (yeh I said it fellow SEC fans) lets face it the Big 10 did very well in bowl games this year.
    However that Tate kid is fantastic. Now that being said and the fact the Big 10 has no championship game (that really helps) Iowa with how high you will be ranked has a very good chance to make it.
    However since USC is in a patsy conference they probably wont get knocked off, so it will be tough.

Thing is, winning a title requires some luck (LSU had it when we won ours) so it is sort of that moons aligning thing. BUT it possible. LSU has a favorable schedule and all the talent in the world. Iowa is a darn good team. But the Big 10 is pretty tough.
    So we shall see.

3. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

We have a lot of Iowa fans now talking NC.... and we haven't even won our conference outright yet. First things first.

My version of the stars aligning would be Norm Chow taking a head coaching job somewhere.

4. Tygrr

Tygrr Win the West

I agree. Saban was a great defensive mind, but I think a lot of our vast offensive talent was somewhat going to waste. We have so many playmakers on the offensive side of the ball, but it just seemed that all the emphasis was placed on the defensive side of the ball and that the offense was somewhat neglected. There was no reason our offense should have been so impotent this year. I think Miles will utilize every bit of offensive power that this team possesses.

As far as making to the NC game, I really like Iowa's chances. I'll reserve speculation on our chances till I see our team play a game or two, but I'm very optimistic. :geauxtigs

5. Hawker45

Hawker45 Founding Member

And taking a few of their recruits with him!!!!!

6. 00Tiger

00Tiger Founding Member

USC will most probably be ranked preseason #1, so if USC does not lose, then there is no chance of a LSU/Iowa MNC game.

7. FloridaHawk82

Hawker, I understand your thoughts, but you gotta dream big and plan big! Most Iowa fans have been pointing to 2005 as a good shot at it all... A lot of things have to happen (they always do), but Iowa has enough pieces in place to at least discuss the possibility.

8. BigJ31

BigJ31 Founding Member

Does Chow just give a terrible interview or what? I rarely even hear him on the short list for many coaching searches.

9. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

Good Post. I would replace a healthy Bamma team as an obstacle over a very young and unknown Auburn team. Other than that excellant post of our future team.

I don't believe in saying it's a rematch because college teams change so much from year to year however I will say that the game this year may have been the most entertaining bowl game this year. It really ended up being a great match up.

USC will def come out #1 next year so it will take one probably 2 losses to keep them out. The other side is you may have to be in the top 10 after week one to get there and start the climb. With PC , ML, Norm Chow and if they keep the offensive line that protectes ML better than I thought they would against OU coming back to USC as much as I hate to say it they are in great shape to repeat conferences being what they are.

A lot up in the we will see area for LSU so should make for a interesting Feb 2. Miles has a lot to work with on and off the field so expectations are high
    and should be.

Maybe post like yours will show up as the year goes on and it will be a NC game in the making.

I Just might have a new favorite team outside of the SEC. I'll def be interested in ya'll season next year. How many games did ya'll get for National coverage last year.

10. FloridaHawk82

Tiger Fan, good point on Bama being tough, and I believe it's in Tuscaloosa?

As far as fUSC goes, you are correct that any objective person would have to say USC has the best shot next year, BUT they did have some close games last year, and they aren't invincible... They will be favored in all of them, but their road schedule is tough... Road games at Oregon, Arizona State, Notre Dame (they are a different team in South Bend, just ask Michigan) , Washington (Willingham will have them playing well toward the end of the season), and Cal.... They could easily stumble in one or two of those games.

Iowa on TV last year? Not as good as he two previous years, but we had two ABC regional games (Michigan and Ohio State), 4 National ESPN games, 5 ESPN Plus games, and of course the Cap1 on National ABC. How many games did LSU have national coverage? Just curious.

You are very correct that NAtional Coverage is VERY important in recruiting, even more so for Iowa since we rely so heavily on national recruiting and don't have the "brand name" yet of teams like Oklahoma, USC, LSU, FSU, etc. Along that lines, Iowa got probably $20mm of free advertising in the first half of the Army AA game last Saturday... It was almost embarrasing... We had 4 top players declare Iowa in the first half to go along with 3 others in the game who had declared earlier. Climbed from #16 to #4 in the team rankings, and will probably get an 8th player fom that game in Notre Dame WR decommit David Neslon (choosing between Iowa and Florida). The exposure cannot hurt going forward as the game is HEAVILY watched by top HS players.