lsu is going to run the table next football season.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by snorton938, Mar 25, 2004.

1. friday

friday Founding Member

Got some news for you. Matt Mauck wasn't a great QB. He kept mistakes to a minimum and saban let the d win games for the tigers. whay would this year be any different? I'd rather a sr. QB leading the attack, handing it off to vincent nad mixing in a little play action. winning games ugly. vs. a young QB learning the system, throwing the inopportune pic, costing us a game. I'll take randall and the latter. that doesn't mean I don't want to see one of the frosh take some meaningful snaps. just not in crunch time.

2. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

LSU will find it difficult to go undeafeated next year for two reasons:

1. We will have a new starting quarterback and new wide receivers. The QB/WR chemistry that LSU enjoyed last season will take some time to develop. Some team may exploit that and beat us.

2. We have to play our four toughest opponents on the road. Auburn, Georgia, Florida, and Arkansas. It will be tough to get through the SEC road schedule undefeated.

Nevertheless, LSU is looking at a double-digit winning season and another SEC title shot. I'll take that. And who knows? If we catch some breaks and the team matures quickly . . . maybe another NC long shot.

3. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

I think you may have suffered some backlash because of the manner in which you dissed a fine young man like Randall. Nothing is wrong with saying you hope one of the freshman start but there is no point in ripping an individual that gives his heart and soul to LSU. Randall will be a very valuable player next year, whether as a starter or backup. His experience can't be measured.

I would agree that I expect one of the freshman to be the starter for Oregon St. As Tirk mentioned, nothing is wrong with a 10-2 season and a New Year's day bowl. I'd almost take that right now if given to me (I said "almost").

4. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

The freshmen are going to have their 'growing pains' whether they start this season, or start next season. I would personally much rather see the freshman get there growing pains out of the way this year, and come back next season with a softer schedule and go undefeated. This season even with an experience QB it will be difficult to go unbeaten with this schedule.

Why do we want to break in a new quarterback two consecutive seasons?? Besides, the strength of this team IS the defense and running game, so why can't a freshman QB handle that? Hell, I could go in there and hand the ball of to Justin Vincent or Ally Broussard.

I feel like we are jeopordizing our future by having Randall start this year. I think giving the freshmen experience this year will pay HUGE in the next 3 years.

5. diamondheadtiger

diamondheadtiger Founding Member

I would be satisfied WINNING the SEC Championship again. Anything less would be a bust to me. :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry: :( :mad: :angry:
    And STOMPIN Auburn in the ground AGAIN

6. DallasLSU

DallasLSU Founding Member

TE, who in the world compared Marcus Randall to Michael Vick??

7. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

TE, think before you speak, Nimrod. It wasn't Jack Hunt that blew the coverages against the Pigs two years ago, it was Corey Webster.

And I don't know if Randall can lead us to a championship or not but I do know there is nothing like experience and he has it. So regardless of how much talent these other guys have, until they prove they can get the job done, Marcus is gonna be the starter .
    And regardless of who the starter is, as a Tiger the one that does deserves everybodys support. If you can't do that, then take your negativism somewhere else.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!

8. Chip82

Chip82 Founding Member

I'm personally looking forward to the game in Athens this year.

I think it will come down to LSU and Georgia once again fighting it out for the SEC Championship.

Georgia will actually have a more mature team this season with 19 starters back.

Georgia will only lose the SEC East if the same amount of injuries occur as in 2003.

If Georgia stays healthy, a run at a national championship is not out of the question.

9. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

Or if they lose more conference games than Florida or Tennessee. :grin: :grin: :grin: :geaux: :lsup: :geaux: :lsug: :geaux:

10. Maderan

Maderan Founding Member

I also believe that this is the year to break in one of our fresh. QB's. I would rather see them stubb their toe this year and enter next year with some experience than break in new QB's two years in a row (and if we pick up Ryan Perriloux maybe 3 years in a row).

No offence to Mauck but he wasn't the best QB. He could make good pocket decisions but was only marginally athletic. If Randall couldn't beat him out for the starting job then even with his experience I think Randall will fall to one of the freshmen.

I think we are a young team and if we can get the younger players some experience this year then we will dominate in 2005 and 2006. Maybe even longer. We have a talented team but we are minus the leaders we had on the offence last year and somewhat on the defence too. With our inexperience at certain key positions it is impossible to say how we will do next season.

On a side note, if we start a fresh QB and we destroy Oregon St. then I think we will have a great year (confidence up, players inline behind a new leader). It could even happen with Randall. But if we get destroyed on the first game (see VT game) it could take us too long to regroup and we wouldn't have a shot at a NYD game.