LSU is NOT a top 8 seed

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by islstl, May 31, 2004.

1. LSUSPORTSFREAK

LSUSPORTSFREAK Founding Member

If anyone else asked the question, maybe I would have. No soup for you.

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

I'll throw you some soup BB.

Rice made it as a top 8 seed. LSU did not. Therefore, they paired up top 8 seeds and non top 8 seeds out of the 16 regionals to play each other. I think they try to pair up regionals that are close to one another (maybe someone can give clarity to this). Therefore LSU has to go to Rice to play them in the Super Regional.

Had LSU taken care of business and at least won 1 SEC tourney game, they would have been in as a top 8 seed. I just wish they would have considered the fact that LSU lost 2 heartbreaking games in the tourney. If LSU had been blown out and looked bad in both games, then I would agree they didn't deserve a top 8 seed.

But Arizona State as a top 8 seed and being ranked 17th in Baseball America's latest poll....what a joke. That's like saying USC was a Co-National Champion in football. It's ludicrous.

3. SiberianTiger

SiberianTiger Founding Member

Well, I think it really comes down to...

the fact that we went 0-2 in the SEC tournament and were only the 3rd seed in the tournament to begin with. Facing #6 Rice means that we ended up with the #11 overall seed. I think one win over the weekend would have put us in the top 8.

I look at it this way. No matter what, we eventually need to beat the good teams to win the NC. It does suck we could have to play Rice at Rice, but I still think we can do it.

4. islstl

Now that's what you call "credentials". Seems like Texas may be primed to win it all this year.

5. islstl

It will come down to our hitters against their great starting pitching. Plain and simple. You're looking at some 4-3 and 5-4 games that will be nail-biters more than likely.

But we have to beat Southern Miss first.

6. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

The Stanford/Notre Dame bracket gets NO SEC teasm because they wanted to make sure that at least one of them makes the CWS.

7. SiberianTiger

SiberianTiger Founding Member

I think Long Beach could beat Stanford and ND...

if they can score a few runs. Weaver is an awesome pitcher. Their problem is their 3rd starter isn't that great. Their top 2 starters are both outstanding.

8. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

You know the NCAA has to have Stanford in the CWS :lol:

9. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

Sorry, but LSU didn't deserve a Top 8 seed after going 0-2 in the tourney. Maybe ASU didn't either, but LSU blew its chance last week.

Georgia has a legit argument. Won the SEC and is rated higher than Arkansas in the PRI ... what a joke!

10. TigerWins

TigerWins Founding Member

I think it's more than that ... MONEY! All the SRs are now televised. Rice is the 6 seed, so that makes LSU the 11 seed. ASU is the 7 seed, so that makes Ole Miss the 10 seed. Georgia Tech is the 4 seed, so that makes Georgia the 13 seed. Miami is the 3 seed, so that makes Florida the 14 seed. Does this really make any sense? Not in my opinion!

The NCAA wanted certain SR matchups for larger crowds and TV ratings ... Rice vs LSU, GT vs UGA, UF vs Miami.

That's the only justification I can come up with ... no way UGA is a 13 seed and no way Ole Miss should be seeded higher than LSU!

There is one positive that I can see ... the NCAA didn't bunch all the SEC teams in the same regionals and SR pairings. 7 SEC teams can make it to Omaha.