LSU last in student section allotment

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Apr 23, 2008.

1. PodKATT

PodKATT Time to Put Your Pants On

Apparently, according to the bama student paper

http://media.www.cw.ua.edu/media/st....Football.Section.Below.Average-3343039.shtml

I believe this is a situation that needs to be rectified, but I doubt that TAF would ever let that happen. Then again, the numbers could be skewed because of the size of our stadium.

2. khounba

khounba Founding Member

Yeah I kind of wish they would have given some hard numbers. I don't feel like doing the math to figure our how many tickets are actually given. I think LSU gives 15,000 to students.

3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Joe Dean cut back the student section significantly in the 90's. Students were just not showing up for games and many others left at halftime. There were large areas of empty seats that looked bad. Times were bad and LSu was posting losing seasons, but the season ticket holders hung in and attended games while the students did not.

Joe Dean knew he could sell those empty seats to new season ticket holders, so he did. And they were the best seats, too. The old student section went all the way to the 50 yard line. Tiger Band sat between the 50 and the 30.

When the new upper decks were built, no additional seats were allocated for students.

1 person likes this.
  4. Carface

Carface What the...?

All I can say, without going into full detail, is that the current ticketing process for students sucks.

5. mobius481

mobius481 Registered Member

This is how I understood it as well but it begs the question, should we penalize current students for things that happened when they were in elementary school?

6. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

As I recall, we were talking about the same thing happening the last 2 years with students leaving early and the empty seats.

7. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I had a friend who was on the Student Athletic Advisory board with Joe Dean in the early 90's. Dean's philosophy was, "You're a student for four or five years. You're an alum for life, and you'll be happy to have more seats available for you then."

Now, at the time, I railed at the injustice, but now, years later, I'm firmly in that alum group. I live out-of-state, so I don't have season tickets, and it's a struggle to get tickets for games. I have to depend on getting them through my uncle, who is a season ticket holder.

I understand the point about the students, but if students aren't going or are leaving early, then sell those tickets.

8. TigerBill661

TigerBill661 Life is Good

I do not know what students at LSU are charged, if anything, for football tickets. (When I went, you were admitted to the game by showing your student ID - no ticket was required - admission was included in your $55 per semester student activity fee. :)) However, I was talking to a waitress in Tuscaloosa last year who was an Alabama student. She told me they had increased student football tickets to $50 per game, which she blamed of Satan's $4M salary.

9. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

it's a bit more than that, per season

10. TigerBill661

TigerBill661 Life is Good

Sorry for the confusion - she said $50 per game - I will fix my prior post.

1 person likes this.