LSU last in student section allotment

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by PodKATT, Apr 23, 2008.

1. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

I started at LSU in 88 and the students were already in the endzone at that time. I know that because my brother left school in 82 and went back and joined me in 88 and was not a happy camper. It used to burn me when he bragged about the great seats the students USED to have as I sat there in the endzone trying to see the game. The students did not have ANY seats in the West side proper and all student seating was accessed via the North endzone entrances with no easy way to get to the fat cats in the West side seats.

The band was pretty much in the same place as last season (though I would think that they have probably been slowly moved over since 88) and the frats had the other seats that were near where the end zone started. The rest of the students were in the endzone or behind it. So I don't agree that the bad seasons of the 90s moved the students out. I think that it was the greed during the winning years of the middle to late 80s that pushed the students out. Joe Dean may have reduced students seats in the 90's, but we were in the end zone in 88.

I still also don't buy the arguement that the students stopped coming moreso than the regular fans in the 90s. I think that it was just more noticable because the students don't have assigned seating and would crush into a tight little group desperately trying to get closer to the action. The regular fans were more spread out in their assigned seats and it did not look as bad on TV. I would bet that percentage wise the students had less of a drop off than the regular fans (in actual attendance, not paid attendance).

2. TigerKid05

TigerKid05 Say Whaa!?!?

that figure is out of 6 schools surveyed and 13% of 92600 is still a whole lot of tickets.

3. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

These "facts" bother me:

These contradict each other IMO, and Ben Hill isn't close to being the second smallest stadium unless they just surveyed a few.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Not according to athletic department statements. The students were staying away in droves. Half empty or more is very noticeable.

5. eL eS shU

eL eS shU Founding Member

theses numbers make it sound much more skued. I like good tricky writing. :rolleye33:

23,000 X 65% is about 15,000 tickets

92,000 X 13% is about 12,000 tickets

6. TigerBait3

TigerBait3 Guest

alabama's is skewed because they include all freshmen. but freshmen and first year students, including grad school and law school students have to apply for a package that consists of half the home games. the other half gets the other games...so that obviously inflates the numbers.

it is all the same. get online when they go on sale and you will get your tickets.

7. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Next year, when there is a big empty section at the top of the north endzone (above what will be the band) for North Texas, Tulane, Miss. State, all thoughts of giving more tickets to students will dissipate.

1 person likes this.
  8. tigermark

tigermark Rematches suck!

Well, I tried to do my part. I stayed an extra semester to catch another season of Curly ball back in 92. (shh, don't tell my folks...). It was worth it. Even the Curly version of LSU football is better than working...

1 person likes this.