LSU Men's Basketball - 2013-14

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 20, 2013.

?

With a top 4 SEC pre-season prediction, what best describes your attitude about LSU Mens' bball?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2013.
  1. Still going to follow LSU football and won't think about LSU basketball until January.

5.0%
  2. Cautiously optmistic--but I'll believe it when I see it.

40.0%
  3. Coach Jones is the real deal, I'm taking notice... I'll buy a ticket to see a game before December.

35.0%
  4. So psyched for basketball. I'm getting season tickets, and Football is only about A&M Bama now.

20.0%
  1. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

If the team plays .500 in the SEC as we're likely headed, that's not a step in the right direction. This team needs to learn how to win. It's not embedded in the culture of LSU basketball and Jones needs to somehow turn that around. Not an easy task.

We've split the two tough SEC games (road Ole Miss and home vs Missouri), but we also split the other 4 games against opponents we should be beating.

2. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Hey, I'll be the first to admit if the Tigers finish .500 in the SEC, that will not be an improvement over last season, and thus, an underachievement, but there's time yet for this team to gel.

As for what is wrong, I do think there's just been something missing in terms of performance. There are some significantly better pieces, like Jordan Mickey, but by and large, our primary guards are the same, and JOB has been, like last year, inconsistent at times. Jarrell Martin getting hurt early has led to more minutes for Shavon Coleman, who has performed admirably. I think if you really think hard about it though, this team is largely the same as last year, maybe a little bit deeper with guys like Quarterman, Mickey and Martin, but at the end of the day, Quarterman is a back up freshman, and Martin probably has not quite fulfilled expectations. Why that is? I think that it's always hard for a true low-post offense to utilize multiple "slashing" PFs, which is sort of what Mickey and Martin both play. Mickey has proven to be the more polished all-round player at 4, and putting Martin at 3 subjects him to some spots in the offense not quite established for him--he's got to be more impactful at that position playing defense, hitting jumpers and slashing to the basket. He's not a pure off the dribble creator of offense at 3, which is what this team could use at times. There are some chemistry issues and offensive sets to work out between our front line, and our shorter or inexperienced backcourt is still subject to some weaknesses on defense. Our offensive efficiency has to go up and we need to play with more creativity/passion on defense. I still think that Johnny needs to mix in a line up of Coleman and Quarterman into the rotation to get them playing better by the late season, with a mixture of more press to get Martin going on transition offense. The team still has some time to find its stride--we have 3 losses in the SEC, for an 18+ game season.

3. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

I think they should stick w/the press. It got us back in that game, then once we were tied, we aborted it. Go all out ala Arkansas years ago, or Louisville a few years back. We look confident when playing that style.

4. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

Don't look now, but Tigers with a 10-pt lead early in the 2nd.

5. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Oh I'm looking, I'm watching cautiously. We have...

LSUDad likes this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

GREAT WIN TIGERS...FINAL 87-82

TigerTap and shane0911 like this.
  7. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

That thing had hair on it. Geez, nothing, and I mean NOTHING has ever raised my blood pressure like LSU basketball. It doesn't matter what year it is seems like it always has that "oh shit" factor to it. Gotta love it.

TigerTap and LSUDad like this.
  8. lsudolemite

lsudolemite CodeJockey Extraordinaire

There's that signature win I was talking about.

9. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Never think you've beaten UK until the clock says :00. Great win, Tigers!

10. Winston1

Winston1 Founding Member

There is a signature win for the Tigers and CJJ.