LSU Men's Basketball - 2013-14

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 20, 2013.

?

With a top 4 SEC pre-season prediction, what best describes your attitude about LSU Mens' bball?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2013.
  1. Still going to follow LSU football and won't think about LSU basketball until January.

5.0%
  2. Cautiously optmistic--but I'll believe it when I see it.

40.0%
  3. Coach Jones is the real deal, I'm taking notice... I'll buy a ticket to see a game before December.

35.0%
  4. So psyched for basketball. I'm getting season tickets, and Football is only about A&M Bama now.

20.0%
  1. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I don't believe the hiatus had anything to do with it.

Had they handled the ball better i.e. not turned it over 25 times against Memphis it would have been an easy LSU victory IMO. And Memphis is a pretty good team.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  2. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Agree. They are young, though, in terms of team chemistry. Lots of new parts. Jordan Mickey has been a beast, but turnover prone, and he is not alone. Hopefully w/time, they will gel, and turnovers will lessen.

bayareatiger likes this.
  3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Nice win tonight at Tx Tech........LSU 71-69

Congrats Tigers

lsu-i-like, cajdav1 and IATigerFan like this.
  4. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

Good win on the road, but Martin is not looking good. He looks very uncomfortable, and frankly kind of soft. I am not giving up on the kid, but given his accolades I had expected more. Mickey had a rough night because of early foul trouble, but he still made a few plays that really impressed me. He had a block late in the game that he was not in position to make, but athleticism allowed him to make a big stop.

Team was sluggish at times, but showed flashes. Also... Shavon Coleman. Best 6th man ever.

5. ParadiseiNC

Hickey was money, too. Whenever we needed a 3, or a steal, he was there. I'm very unimpressed w/TQ so far. Overall, our personnel appears sig. improved, just need experience and to gel as a team.

6. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

yeah, when you look at this game's box score, it's still the "Trent Johnson recruits" of O'Bryant, Hickey, Stringer and Coleman, that carry the day. Throw Morgan in there too.

Got to give the kids credit, only the second road game of the season and to scrap out a win against any Tubby Smith team is a nice little win. Tech is a mostly upperclassmen team and while some predict them to be lower half Big 12, never count out how Smith gets hustle out of his teams.

That said, we have some ways to go yet on where this team will end up, especially with all of the young talent. Sure, Martin looks a little less than spectacular, but you've got to remember that he's still playing off JOB and some experience guards. He's primarily a swing foward who's got some work to do on his outside shot and without the team able to get easy transition baskets, he's going to not necessarily have a ton of plays called for him in the half court set. I actually thought that Quarterman played alright, didn't try to over do it. The kid has certainly got some length and fluidity to his game. He's got to work on his outside shot, but that will come.

7. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

I liken Martin and Quarterman's play to our young defense this year in football. You can obviously tell that the talent, size and ability are present with both. However, it appears that both of them are still getting used to the speed of the college game and that will come. Martin has a smooth jump shot and sooner or later he will settle down, stop pressing too much when he has the ball in his hands, and will be a key player by seasons end. Same for Quarterman. Jordan Mickey is a man-child and those kind of kids come along just every now and then who step on campus ready to play from day 1. Needless to say our personnel is vastly improved, we are deep and I would be surprised and disappointed if we do not make the tournament this year.

8. ParadiseiNC

Well, both Martin and Quarterman played much better against UAB. Want to give credit where credit is due.

LSUsupaFan and cajdav1 like this.
  9. Tiger in NC

Tiger in NC There's a sucker born everyday...

Martin and Quarterman played well against UAB, who is no slouch. I like the way the team is developing, especially the younger guys. I especially like the fact that we seem to have 10 guys who can play ball and contribute on any given night. I also like the way our scoring is dispensed with several guys in double figures but no one guy really sticking out; this will make it nightmarish on opposing defenses for the rest of the season. Loving the way this team is coming together and can't wait until we get into SEC play.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  10. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Nice win vs UAB. Perhaps the most complete game so far. UAB beat UNC by the way. Jordan Mickey getting mention on the top freshmen lists. Stringer and Hickey stayin' the course. Kudos CJJ.

lsu-i-like and bayareatiger like this.