LSU Men's Basketball - 2013-14

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by TGer'nLHornLand, Oct 20, 2013.

?

With a top 4 SEC pre-season prediction, what best describes your attitude about LSU Mens' bball?

Poll closed Nov 10, 2013.
  1. Still going to follow LSU football and won't think about LSU basketball until January.

5.0%
  2. Cautiously optmistic--but I'll believe it when I see it.

40.0%
  3. Coach Jones is the real deal, I'm taking notice... I'll buy a ticket to see a game before December.

35.0%
  4. So psyched for basketball. I'm getting season tickets, and Football is only about A&M Bama now.

20.0%
  1. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Nice quality win by the Tigers over Mizzou, 77-71.

cajdav1 likes this.
  2. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Glad to see them put two in a row together. Played much better at the end and sank the free throws.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  3. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

Definitely a good quality win. This is more of the team we saw at the beginning of the year and that we hoped to see. Let's see how they can do on the road at Alabama Saturday. That's a game they should win pretty easily. If they still want a chance at the tournament, you've got to win that one.

4. lsu99

lsu99 whashappenin

You can tell that Hickey and Stringer have been playing together for a couple of years as they have nice chemistry. Quarterman did a good job in his role last night. The big guys seem to be playing better together and I really love everything about Mickey's game, demeanor, and skill set.

Hopefully they can beat Bama to get a nice crowd next week for Kentucky.

5. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

A very nice win last night by the Tigers. A good team win, with many folks contributing against a team that was at one point leading the SEC and ranked in the country. The Tigers needed a quality win, and boy, they got one last night. I'll frankly just comment on a few things. First off, what I think the Tigers came with was intensity. In the games they've won and won big, they've had it, and in the games where they haven't, it's been not quite there. Last night there was intensity from tip to finish. That intensity often translates into the little things, rebounds, aggression offensively, slapping the ground kind of defense, and blocked shots. We've seen how bigger guards on teams have been the Tigers' achilles heel and well, last night the Missouri guards that all stand over 6'5" took it to the Tigers from three point land they were 8-18. But, there was enough perimeter defense from Tim Quarterman (who showed a good deal of intensity and began to look less like a freshman last night) and a herculean night from Jordan Mickey blocking shots. Some of the blocks by Jordan were so key as Missouri's big guards drove the lane or tried to get put backs. 9 LSU blocks to Missouri's 1. That and about 5 more rebounds, and 10 more free throws (i.e., aggression) and that's probably the game. LSU's shooting percentage was better (but not great) closer to the basket, while Missouri was living by the 3 and hitting them. What I'm happy to see is LSU's team beginning to see and learn what is needed to win a big game. Often times, freshman don't realize what it's like to win a big college game, and that's 40 minutes of intense, focused basketball. Hopefully the team can build on this. We only saw 8411 paid attendance last night although the crowd was vocal and seemed to help the Tigers at times, particularly on the stretch where Mickey seemed to block like 3 shots in a row...

What's also very interesting to me is the SEC/NCAA landscape. The Tigers sit at 12-5 and 3-2 in the league. Obvioiusly a lot of basketball yet to be played this season, but I'm somewhat concerned about the number of teams that NCAA tourney could take from the SEC. They currently sit 5th in the SEC (although that's in a tie with Texas A&M). When you look at RPI or "quality" wins on the schedule, you see primarily Kentucky and Florida which really move the needle. The teams ahead of LSU in the SEC currently are UK, UF, Ole Miss and a surprising Georgia. From an RPI index standpoint (based upon CBS's RPI modeler) however--the only teams ahead of LSU are Florida (8), UK (12), Missouri (54) and Tennessee (56), while LSU sits now at 57. The only other SEC teams in sniffing distance are Ole Miss (64) and Arkansas (67), both with the same record as LSU at 12-5. What it shows you is how important these games are with Missouri, Ole Miss, Tennessee and Arkansas. Against that crew right now, LSU is 1-2, and unfortunately due the new SEC game schedule we won't get to replay either of Ole Miss or Tennessee again. This is a year where we play Arkansas, Vandy, Texas A&M and Georgia twice--not a lot there to help our RPI wins--with the exception that beating Arkansas and Texas A&M (since they are a mid-pack SEC team) will still be hugely critical. Which all made the win last night so much more important AND the upcoming games against Kentucky (which we do play twice) and a late season meeting with Florida (only there) so key. Of course from CJJ's perspective and the team's it's one game at a time because losses hurt you so much more than wins help you in this league. Beat one of UK and Florida and finish in the top 4-5 in the SEC, and then you've got a decent resume, which is the unfortunate state of affairs for SEC teams these days. How come I can't help but feel that it's going to come down to the SEC tournament, again?!!!

6. MobileBengal

MobileBengal Founding Member

One of Mickey's blocks made Sports Center's Top Plays this morning.

And I don't like this new divisionless SEC schedule.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

I have a great appreciation for what you bring to this board. Such great knowledge, enthusiasm and analysis. Thank you very much..

8. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

I agree 100%, and in my time here since 2002 I have never seen someone on any message board who is so passionate about LSU hoops. My family had season tickets in the Maravich era, and I have loved LSU basketball for a lonnng time.

TGer'nLHornLand is a real treasure, and I am very happy he chooses to post here. Always upbeat and informative, I really enjoy reading what he has to share.

Thank you sir!

9. LSUDieHard

LSUDieHard Founding Member

Tigers making a furious comeback in Tuscaloosa. Down by as many as 16 in the second half, Tigers now up by 1 (72-71) with just under 4 mins remaining. C'mon Tigers!!!!!

10. ParadiseiNC

ParadiseiNC don't worry, be happy

Unsure why we stopped pressing once we tied it up w/3:00 left. Tough loss after that comeback.