LSU moves to #12 in polls.

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

I hope LSU proves that one first-place voter correct. But right now, that seems like the ballot of an insane person.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  2. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I hope he is a psychic

furduknfish likes this.
  3. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

It is amazing that you do not know that the 2003 BCS rankings were scored by points based on ELEVEN different polls and rankings. Oklahoma's loss cost them points, but not enough to drop them out of the top 2. Did you really think that only the AP and Coaches poll counted?

There was not one mistake made. The BCS ranking was done by the book, above board and legal. The same book all the top conferences agreed on before the season.

#1 for one week. Oklahoma had been #1 all season long. There was nothing illegitimate about the computers. In fact, they were the only impartial poll. The coaches and sportswriters all have an agenda . . . like imagining that USC's previous records mattered a damn in 2004.

The BCS went on for another 10 years. Only the AP bailed out and became irrelevant to the process.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

And your point is what?

5. Brian

Brian Founding Member

6. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

Great to see Georgia and A&M move up significantly. Also, Ohio State dropped down a few spots. I also think Oregon should have jumped Alabama, but oh well.

ParadiseiNC likes this.
  7. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

The whole USC thing is stupid because the coaches all bought into the BCS and that determining the national champion. So to go against something that you agreed on solely because it didn't favor you is pretty stupid to me. Would you guys have wanted an AP championship in 2011 if they would have voted LSU #1? Fuck no.

tigermark likes this.
  8. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I would take an AP NC, and I agree the system was agreed to beforehand so I wouldn't beat that drum too loud. That said, I'm pretty sure a lawyer could make the case that NCAA was negligent because the system they created was BS. What we have now is still kind of a joke, but probably better.

9. Robidoux87

Robidoux87 You call that a double?

Well, yes and no.

If the 2003 scenario played out exactly the way it did, only reverse the fortunes of LSU and USC, hell yeah! The BCS game featured a team in OU that nobody with a functioning brain and a pair of eyes thought belonged there. The AP decided to right that wrong by voting for the team that got fucked. Remember that LSU got into that game by the slimmest of margins (and lost at home to Ron Zook), and we'd have been furious if USC vs. OU happened.

By the way, the comparison of 2003 and 2004 does not hold up. Auburn had an amazing season, but teams #1 and 2 were also undefeated and had great years. There was no team to point at and say, "They just got blown out - what the fuck are they doing in this game?"

2011 would have been silly. Nobody votes for a team that lost 0-21 in the last game of the year.

TigerTap likes this.
  10. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

I would like to report this thread as derailed.

Robidoux87 likes this.