LSU NIT ?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by olVENICEdog, Mar 12, 2004.

1. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

Did LSU ever do anything in the history of the NIt?

PS Do you know willis?

2. islstl

islstl Playoff committee is a group of great football men Staff Member

From recent history, I have never remembered LSU doing anything at all in the NIT.

3. SoLa in NoIll

SoLa in NoIll Founding Member

This is off the top of my head, but yes, they have done some things in the NIT, including going to the NIT Final Four in 1970, losing to Al McQuire's Marquette. As a side note, one of the other two teams in NY for that NIT Final Four was Army, with head coach Bobby Knight. LSU won its first round game two years ago in the NIT at Iowa, but I cannot remember who they lost to in the second round.

4. G_MAN113

G_MAN113 Founding Member

They lost to a really hot-shooting Ball State team at the PMAC...I was there.
    Ball State was lights-out that night, shooting something like 70% in the second half, including some ungodly percentage from the 3-point line.

LSU's other two trips to the NIT (aside from the aforementioned trip w/ Pistol
    Pete) resulted in home losses to Tulane and UNO in 1982 and 1983 respectively.

5. bayareatiger

bayareatiger If it's too loud YOU'RE TOO OLD

Pete's last game as an LSU Tiger was in the third place consolation game at MSG in the NIT in 1970...

It was against the Army Black Knights, coached by Bobby Knight...

I don't remember the final but we were never in the game...

Pete didn't score more than 17 points, as he was hobbled by a hip injury that helped Dean Meminger of Marquette shut him down in the semifinal game...

It was a sad end to Pete's great career as a Tiger...