LSU no longer in Division I-A

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by red55, Aug 11, 2006.

1. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

What were formerly I-A programs will play in the Football Bowl Subdivision. The programs formerly known as I-AA will play in the NCAA Football Championship Subdivision, alluding to the 16-team playoff that settles its national title. The former Division I-AA championship will be called the Division I football championship.

NCAA to rename college football subdivisions

No matter how much you pump them up, the University of Louisiana Lafayette is still a third-tier program.

2. Berge

Berge Founding Member

Wow, so that means App. State last year can claim to be football champions and there is really no argument for that.

3. barry6124

barry6124 Founding Member

That seems more confusing the D1 and D1AA, why not just do D I II III IV

4. LSUfan71

LSUfan71 Founding Member

puh-leese, as my daughter would say, that's just far too simple. They're trying to get us into the mindset that there will never be a 16 team playoff for Div-IA as is done for Div-IAA and Div-II. Bowl money rules the day.

To duplicate and implement the Div-IAA 16 team playoff for Div-IA would mean much more money than the current bowl system, and no money under the table for the conf commisioners and school presidents, but that's a tired old argument....

http://www.ncaasports.com/football/mens/brackets/straight16_dyn/2005/s16dyn_DIaa

5. Zetkib

Zetkib Freshman

To early.

6. saltyone

saltyone So Mote It Be

Welcome to TFs. To early for what?

7. lsu-i-like

lsu-i-like Playoff advocate

I feel sick. The Bowl Division? F you NCAA. How stubborn and inept can one orginization be?

8. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

Here's the line that proves you're right: "We'll attempt" to drop them, Berst said, in conjunction with the Dec. 22 I-AA championship, which will become the "Division I football championship."

So if Montana, Georgia Southern, App. State, et al, are playing for the "Division I football championship", what is LSU chasing? This is absolutely ridiculous. As a media member, I hate that I'm going to have to use those long, awkward titles in my stories now. One more example of why you never hear "NCAA" and "common sense" used in the same sentence.

9. Bengal Buddy

Bengal Buddy Founding Member

Once again Nominalism raises its ugly head. People think that by changing the name of something, you can change the thing itself. No matter what we call them, top tier teams will remain top tiet teams and second tier teams will remain second tier teams.

10. mctiger

mctiger RIP, and thanks for the music Staff Member

True, but I think that's only part of what they are trying to force on us. The bigger issue, I believe, is to establish once and for all that they will never bow to pressure to drop the bowl system, by designating certain teams to be "bowl" teams, and others to be "championship" teams.