LSU Offense vs. Oregon's Defense

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by laduckfan, Jun 7, 2011.

1. laduckfan

laduckfan Veteran Member

LSU would have lost two more of those games, if not for blind luck. Any time your starting QB has more INT's than TD passes, it's a liability. JJ is a great runner, but until he show's himself to be a threat to throw, Oregon will plug up the middle and dare him to throw. Unless he's markedly improved from last year, I don't see him making enough plays with his arm to change what Oregon wants to do, which is stop the run.

Maybe I'm wrong in my assessment of JJ. I've heard he's improved with the new OC in there. How much he's improved, and how well he can read the amoeba defense, will be the difference.

2. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Happens to all good teams. Didn't the mighty ducks have a little good fortune in sneaking one out against Cal? If Oregon ever wins an NC, you'll understand that it involves catching breaks along the way.

What you don't seem to understand is that EVERYONE we played last year had this same philosophy, and it didn't make a whole lot of difference. Every team we played knew that JJ was struggling, and therefore tried to "plug up" the middle. Yet we still ran pretty much at will and won 11 games, facing much more physical defenses week-in and week-out. This isn't nearly as novel of an idea as you seem to think.

3. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

It could be said that AU kept the game close. I mean, Cam missed a 5 yard pass for a TD........lol

4. LSUpride123

LSUpride123 PureBlood

Good points.

The thing about LSU which I think most people fail to realize is that even when we are obviously having Offensive or QB issues, we have the skilled players to change the game in a matter of 1 play. See bama 2010......

Yea, we got trucked by AU but still only lost by 7 and that was with the O converting like 2 first downs the ENTIRE 2nd half.....

I don't think LSU fans expect an O in the top 15 next year, but **** going from the 100's to the freaking 60's would be night and day for us and most of the nation to be exact.......

5. ASD

ASD ASD

What 2 games did we win by sheer luck besides Tenn? and I was at every home game. Yes... Tenn almost got us. but we busted there a$$ all day on D. In the end THEY screwed up not us. Is the UF game the other? beautiful clutch pass to tolliver to win it. why is that luck? thats everyday life in the SEC. It could go the other way and the opposing fans would sing the same song. We got some breaks. Not enough against Auburn or Arky.

6. laduckfan

laduckfan Veteran Member

North Carolina being the other. Their 7 defensive starters out, and still barely won. You got out on them quick, but their D held up against the run in the 2nd half; with 7 starters out. That PI should have been called in the endzone at the end of the game. Everyone not wearing purple and gold knows it. But you got the win, and that's what counts.

7. ASD

ASD ASD

I already posted everything you just said on another thread. Yes that game was tough and they could have easily recieved a pass interference call on the last play of the game so i guess i can see your point. we gave up a couple big plays and that 5th year senior QB...Yates I believe really piled up some yards on us on mostly 2 or 3 plays. I can see how that would be considered lucky tho.

8. laduckfan

laduckfan Veteran Member

Yates threw for over 400 I think. They had to throw being down that much, and LSU stopping the run like they were.

I've actually enjoyed watching LSU play over the years. I was a LaMarcus Russell fan when he was there. To bad he didn't pan out with my Raiders.

Oregon's had a few games where they were lucky to get out with wins. Not many last year except the Cal game, which was more us having a crap game, then anything Cal was doing, or getting gifts from the refs. That and the stadium is crap...the lighting was horrible (I drove down for the game), and the condition of that field is crap. The one that always comes up around here is the Oklahoma game a few years ago with the onside kick going our way, when it was clear the ball hadn't traveled 10 yards.

Better to be lucky than good sometimes. Les Miles is the king of that!

But like they say, Luck favors the prepared.

9. KingEmeritus

KingEmeritus ofthePoint

Don't forget that Oregon didn't even recover the ball :D

10. Contained Chaos

Contained Chaos Don't we all?

Who is Lamarcus Russell?