LSU/OU series closer to reality

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by cajdav1, Feb 4, 2005.

1. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

:rofl: "Sooner Bait!" What are ya'll gonna do, Peabody?? Run over us with your little white wagon pulled by "My Little Ponies"??? :hihi:

:thumb: Just messin', Peabody.....Juuuuuust messin'.

2. Beaux-Bo

Beaux-Bo Founding Member

LSU scheduled Arizona when Arizona was 2 or 3 in the country. Then when the game finally rolled around we were accused of scheduling a cake walk game. Applaud the athletic department for giving us fans what we want but hold opinion till we play.

3. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

I disagree. This was a once in every 40 years type of thing I'm afriad.

I don't think scheduling big games out of conference like this will be a must because this was the first time in memory that 3 teams went undefeated from major confereces.

It will not happen again anytime soon.

4. tirk

tirk im the lyrical jessie james

if tubbs has that mindset then he'll be polishing another imaginary trophy.

5. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

Give me a break.

Seems that almost every year.....there could very well several undefeated teams.....and this year it stuck......it could very well happen next year and the following year.

6. Aubie16

Aubie16 Founding Member

Give you a break?

How many times has it happened in the past 50 years? Twice maybe?

Also, you played a 1-AA team AND had one loss in your national championship season. Yet you still managed to make the sugar bowl.

We had the unfortunate luck of playing in one of those once every 30 years seasons where someone had to be left out. It was us. Oh well, we did what we could control.

So if it happens once every 25 years, it is not very likely to happen next year. How many times has a 1-loss team won the national championship? Quite a bit, very rarely does OCC schedule strength come into play if you go undefeated.

So no, I would not schedule Oklahoma with making the national championship in mind. But I would schedule it for the sake of having a great game for your fans and the nation.

7. MarineTiger

MarineTiger Founding Member

First off, what happened 50 years ago....I could frankly not care less.

I am talking about the last 10 years and off the top of my head....1998 when KSU and UCLA both lost in their final week.....UGA being within 1 loss in 2002....bottom line is that it could very well happen in any year so to say it won't happen next year because of what happened in the 80's is quite pointless with the new system put into college football

8. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

ok, here are some stats relative to how many times more than 2 teams were undefeated and untied at the end of the regular season. Only teams that had a shot at a National Title were considered, none of the smaller schools. Some of these were hard to figure out but I think my numbers are fairly accurate.

1930's--4 out of 5 times

1940's--7 out of 10 seasons

1950's--3 out of 10 seasons

1960's--0 out of 10 seasons

1970's--5 out of 10 seasons

1980's--1 out of 10 seasons

1990's--2 out of 10 seasons

2000's--1 out of 5 seasons

Total---23 out of 70 seasons 32.8%

14 of the times happened before 1950 for a % of 56% in the 30's, 40's and 50's.

50% of the seasons during the 70's it happened, wow.

9. MiketheTiger69

MiketheTiger69 Founding Member

I don't remember the exact quote byJoe Castiglione, Zero U AD, but he said, "The games will not be until 2018-2019, regardless of what they think or say in BR."
    With as much trouble as they have had putting this together and the contract still not signed, I really wouldn't hold out much hope of it ever happening.

10. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley