LSU Players And The 2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Jan 8, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Second time? Good guy to talk with. He's gonna do well.

2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Oh, Pro Football has their Draft Guide out, saw it at the newsstand

3. Brian

Brian Founding Member

I really want the Saints to draft him. I think eventually he can make the transition to LT like Andrew Whitworth has done so successfully. With his blocking skills in the run game and his nasty demeanor he'd be perfect to put at left guard and run behind him and Armstead. Then next year slide him out to right tackle and eventually maybe he replaces Armstead on the left since the Saints rarely keep their LTs.

LSUDad likes this.
  4. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Talked with someone down there in NO, and I won't drop a name. The Saints are looking at La'el. I told La'el that they were looking at him, and he said that he had heard the same thing.

The Saints have to do better with to OL, they have to protect the QB.

LSUDieHard and Brian like this.
  5. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Yup. No doubt. Aaron Kromer didn't handle being the interim interim head coach, but that dude knows how to coach up and develop young offensive linemen. The Saints and Payton got spoiled being able to continuously replace the stud OL they'd find and it's really hurt them at times. La'El would be a more responsible if slightly less imposing version of Carl Nicks at left guard. Drew really struggles more from inside pressure (as do most QBs) than the edge rush. That's why they really need to bolster the interior. Center was a disaster last year. Jahri Evans, once fantastic, I think was hurt the most of any linemen with the changing of the line judge. They see holding on the interior moreso now and Jahri got flagged for it almost every game after that happened. Grubbs never truly replaced Nicks.

It was a damn shame we didn't get Jeremy Hill last year. I heard Payton was really high on him. I wanted one of OBJ, Jarvis, and Hill and we got none of them.

Really hope La'El comes to us. I'd take him at 13 even if it was considered by the "experts" as a reach. Kid is a beast. He'll be a great representative of LSU regardless of where he's drafted.

ParadiseiNC, didit and LSUDad like this.
  6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Bengals coach likes what LSU produces

The Cincinnati Bengals have four former LSU players on is roster and offensive line coach Paul Alexandersays they can count on a couple of things from guys who come out of the Tiger program.

“We come down to LSU and we got a lot of them that I coached,” Alexander told LSUSports.net’s Emily Dixonafter he spoke at the LSU Football Coaches Clinic on Friday. “We had Nate Livings, Ben Wilkerson, a lot of LSU kids over the years because we know No. 1 how tough they are and how important football is.

“And we know they’ve done it the right way. They haven’t cheated their way or not gone to class, etc… So, we know we’re getting good people, tough people and football is important.”

The four current Bengals from LSU are Jeremy Hill, James Wright, Sam Montgomery and Andrew Whitworth.

Hill and Wright were rookies in 2014, while Montgomery is in his second year in the league.

Alexander said they were not surprised by the success that Hill had as as a rookie because the staff thought he was the No. 1 running back in the draft. They were surprised that he slipped to the second round.

Whitworth will be entering his 10th year in the NFL where he has started 132 of 136 games over his career that includes six seasons where he never missed a start.

Alexander thinks that another former Tiger could be headed down that same path when La’el Collins gets drafted in the 2015 NFL Draft.

“I think he’s a terrific player and I think he can play left tackle,” Alexander said of Collins. “Some people are thinking he is a guard or a right tackle. They didn’t think Whitworth could play left tackle. He came out and everybody thought he was a guard or a right tackle, and I think Collins can play left tackle.

“He’s a great athlete, got strong hands, long arms, he’s a tenacious competitor, and I think he’s going to have a terrific pro career.”

[​IMG]
    (Photo: Kim Klement , USA TODAY Sports)

Author
    Sonny Shipp @Sonny247

cajdav1, Bengal B and Brian like this.
  7. Brian

Brian Founding Member

A lot of my Saints friends don't see La'El being more than a guard in the pros and maybe a RT.. I've said for a while now I think he starts at guard maybe transitions to RT but I thought he had the feet to make it as a LT in the NFL. I often refer to Whit as my example. No one thought he had the flexibility to get out there at LT that he'd be at best a marginal to good RT. He's been a stud at LT and shocked a lot of the "experts." I think La'El has that same drive, determination, and ability.

LSUDad and titoabad1 like this.
  8. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

I remember Whit playing TE up in WM, they moved him to OT. While at LSU Stacy Searles helped him improve at the position. Much like what Jeff Grimes has done with La'el. I really like what Grimes has done with the OL, and the depth this year will also help. I really like Hawk at the LOT position this year, with a good season, he too could end up in the 1st round next year. Alexander needs to show a little more, keeping his weight down and learning the position, he too could end up in the early rounds of the NFL draft.

Brian and Bengal B like this.
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Writeup from Saturdaydownsouth:

The Tigers got great news when both Vadal Alexander and Jerald Hawkins decided to return for their senior seasons.

Like many offensive linemen in the SEC this year, both players are slated to start at new positions this fall. Alexander, now 6-foot-6 and 320, has slimmed a bit since he arrived in Baton Rouge in 2012. He’ll shift from left guard to right tackle.

Brian likes this.
  10. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Dad, I completely agree. Grimes has really made a big difference already in the stud class he just signed, but also as you said the work he did with La'El.. I wouldn't be surprised had Stud remained and status quo been the case that La'El would be fighting to get into the first round instead of being one of the top OL sure to be selected. He's a great example of why sometimes it's a huge benefit to these kids to return to school for a year and really improve their personal game. You help the team. You help yourself. It's a big win. And the more success you have leads to the team's success and the synergy just keeps going. I'm excited to see Hawk work out at LT. I hope he proves your confidence well-placed!

LSUDad likes this.