LSU Players And The 2015 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by LSUDad, Jan 8, 2015.

1. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

What some forget is Hawk was the lowest rated OL signed in that class out of high school, but I saw a guy that did too much in high school in too many sports. I was pulling for the guy since day one. This is his LSU Bio, notice the 55-4 numbers I used when someone I know told me a month before he was to declare for the NFL draft, I was told, he would return. His Bio:

HIGH SCHOOL
    A three-year starter for West St. Mary High School at both offensive and defensive tackle ... Helped West St. Mary reach the postseason for the first time in several years, finishing with a 6-5 record in 2011 ... Didn't allow a sack as a senior in 2011 as he recorded over 20 pancake blocks ... On defense as a senior he recorded 70 total tackles, 35 tackles for losses, six forced fumbles, a safety and a fumble recovery ... As a junior in 2010, he registered 61 tackles and 18 stops for loss at defensive end ... Rated the No. 15 player in the state by Rivals.com and No. 20 by ESPN.com ... Ranked the 42nd offensive tackle in the nation by Rivals.com and the 73rd best defensive end prospect by ESPN.com ... Earned 2011 LSWA 2A All-State Honorable Mention honors for his play on both offense and defense ... Tabbed a New Orleans Times-Picayune Blue Chip recruit ... Featured on the Scout.com Southeast 150 ... Participated in football, basketball, baseball and track and field throughout high school career ... Won the Louisiana 2A state title in the shot put in 2011 with a toss of 52-9 ½ and followed that with a third place showing at the state meet in 2012 with a throw of 55-04 ... Coached by Ryan Antoine.

Brian likes this.
  2. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Chip Kelly: I rated Odell Beckham No. 1 overall in last year’s draft
    Posted by Michael David Smith on March 25, 2015, 11:20 AM EDT
    [​IMG]Getty Images
    Giants receiver Odell Beckham Jr. was the best rookie in the NFL last year. That came as no surprise to Eagles coach Chip Kelly.

Kelly said that heading into last year’s draft, he personally considered Beckham not just the best receiver in the draft but the best player, period. So why didn’t the Eagles move up from the No. 22 overall pick so that they could draft Beckham before the Giants got him at No. 12? Kelly said he just doesn’t believe in giving up that much to move up.

“I said it a year ago: I thought Odell Beckham was the best player in the draft. I was right. We didn’t have a chance to get Odell Beckham, but a lot of it depends on where you’re selecting,” Kelly said.

Asked if he was disappointed not to get Beckham last year, Kelly noted that last year, Howie Roseman had final say in the draft room.

“I didn’t have final say so, I mean, you always defer to who’s in charge,” Kelly said.

This year, Kelly has been given total control over personnel, and Kelly will run the draft. Which means that if there’s one player Kelly feels confident is the best in the draft, Kelly can do everything in his power to get that player. If that player is Marcus Mariota, the Eagles may not be done wheeling and dealing this offseason.

3. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

New Orleans Saints ‘highly interested’ in LSU CB Jalen Collins
    SHELDON MICKLES AND NICK UNDERHILL|ADVOCATE SPORTSWRITERS
    The Saints are taking a look at one of the draft’s fastest climbers.

LSU cornerback Jalen Collins spent some time with New Orleans defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff during Friday’s pro day and left with the impression the team has a good amount of interest in him.

“They said they’re highly interested,” said Collins, who many believed has worked his way into the first round. “Talked to (McGriff). He said he likes big corners, and he likes what he saw from the (NFL) combine.”

Collins did not take part in any drills Friday. It was discovered at the combine that he had the start of a Jones fracture and last week had a screw inserted into his right foot. He does not believe the injury will hurt his draft stock and expects to be sidelined for only a few weeks.

NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock said the injury shouldn’t hurt the upward climb Collins has made on the draft boards since he decided to enter the draft.

Even though Collins ran a 4.48 40-yard dash at the combine with the injury, he missed the opportunity Friday to further impress the Saints. They hold the 13th and 31st selections in the first round.

If the Saints were to pick Collins, he would be behind Keenan Lewis and Brandon Browner on the depth chart and would have to win a job as the third cornerback, serving in nickel packages. He said he covered the slot often in practice and believes he could do the job at the next level.

But he did admit there are some differences from playing on the outside.

“The major difference on the outside to the inside is, you don’t really get to use your hands as much,” Collins said. “Slot receivers are usually off the ball. You kind of got to be more aware of the intermediate routes, because they got more space.”

Collins said he has upcoming visits scheduled with the Baltimore Ravens and Jacksonville Jaguars.

Brian likes this.
  4. shane0911

shane0911 Helping lost idiots find their village

Oh good grief

5. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

The New York Jets continue to add Patriots to their roster.

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Wednesday that the Jets are signing running back Stevan Ridley to a one-year deal, according to a source close to the situation. Ridley joins the Jets after spending his first four seasons in New England.

Ridley joins a Jets backfield that includes Chris Ivory and Bilal Powell. Ridley's final season with the Patriots ended in October after he tore his ACL and MCL. The injury wrecked Ridley's free-agent value, but he could re-establish himself on a short-term deal with the Jets.

Rapoport reported that Ridley had offers from multiple teams, including the Redskins and Dolphins. An opportunity to play in Chan Gailey's offense was a contributing reason to Ridley's decision to choose the Jets.

This is an interesting signing for New York. Ridley is an established power back who does his best work between the tackles. The same skill-set can be attributed to Ivory, who might find himself on shaky footing under a new regime in New York. The Jets could still use a home-run hitter type back -- if they grab one in the draft, Ivory might be the odd-man out.

Ridley's health and history of ball-security issues make him a bit of a gamble, but he's just 26 and only two seasons removed from a 1,200-yard, 12-touchdown season with the Patriots. There is plenty of upside here.

6. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

BOT: These are starting to come out, draft placement...

New Kiper mock draft has Lions taking OT La'El Collins
    [​IMG] By Steve Schrader, Detroit Free Press 2:01 p.m. EDT April 9, 2015
    Like a lot of mock drafters, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. has decided the Detroit Lions' biggest need isn't DT, it's OT.
    released his NFL mock draft 4.0 today, and he, too, has come around to the offensive tackle way of thinking for the Detroit Lions.

Kiper now has them taking LSU offensive tackle La'El Collins with the 23rd pick when the draft starts April 30.

Kiper writes: "Since the departure of Ndamukong Suh, it has seemed like a foregone conclusion that defensive tackle would be a priority position for the Lions to address in the draft. But given the additions of Haloti Ngata and Tyrunn Walker, the Lions have made moves that will ensure the defensive line is still a strength of the team in 2015.

"What still isn't a strength is the offensive line, where the team was simply average as both a pass- and run-blocking unit in 2014. The Lions simply can't take full advantage of the weapons they have on offense if they don't improve up front, and Collins can be an immediate help. I think he can play tackle, but he could also become an immediate upgrade at left guard, as he's one of the most dominant run-blockers in the draft over the past few seasons."

In his previous mock drafts, Kiper had the Lions taking Texas defensive tackle Malcom Brown and Florida State DT Eddie Goldman.

Most mock drafters were thinking that way for the Lions, even when losing Suh was just a threat. But many since have switched over to OT, such as Kiper.

Kiper also has Michigan State cornerback Trae Waynes going 11th to the Minnesota Vikings and Michigan receiver Devin Funchess 21st to the Cincinnati Bengals.

7. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

My take on La'el, I just don't see him being around at 23, due to many teams needing help on the OL. Put it this way, the Cowboys didn't like seeing Romo getting hit, the Saints are feeling the same way along with too many other NFL teams. The Cowboys started to address the OL problem, many other teams have the same needs. The number of teams needing OL help picking before the Lions.....Bucs, Titans, Jags, Raiders, Redskins, see where I'm heading here, too many teams are in need. There is some talk about teams moving up in the draft, the Saints are one of those teams. Once the draft starts, look for movement.

BOT: I like La'el, the year with Grimes did him well. He learned how to play the position, getting to the next level. La'el had a very good week at the Senior Bowl, driving defenders off the line with his run blocking. He won most every battle with a one-on-one shot. At times playing LOT and at times moving in to guard. The return for his Sr year helped him and matured him off the field. Tested well, and did well in one on one with the NFL personnel. Long arms, good strength, gets to the second level quickly. Could see him getting picked in the first 15, but as I said, don't see him around the 23rd pick. Like I said, too many teams in need of OL help, not a deep draft with the OT position. Looking at last years class on the OL, only 6 of the first dozen drafted came in to do well in the NFL's first year. But teams will draft these guys with the chance to get a starter. Last year the Panthers got Trai Turner in the 3rd round, instant starter, great pick, great investment.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2015
    Brian and Bengal B like this.
  8. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

No way Collins lasts until 23. He could be off the board before the Saints pick at 13.

ParadiseiNC, Brian and LSUDad like this.
  9. LSUDad

LSUDad Veteran Member

Another Collins, Jalen looks to be the next player taken. Along with OT, Cb is another position of need in the NFL. Ask the saints. Every NFL team needs three good CB's, most have trouble finding two. And with any draft, a run on a position could come into play.

Jalen at the combine, turned some heads, at 6'1" 203#'s, with a 4.48/40. Teams like these tall CB, good size and great speed. Jamming the WR's on the line and knocking them off their routes. Very good in run support, will get into the mix on run plays, a guy that plays at full speed. Great character prospect. Lost his position as a starter, once regained, never missed a beat. Many see him as a first rounder, same here. Like I said, too many teams needing CB help.

Brian likes this.
  10. Brian

Brian Founding Member

Too many Saints fans who don't follow college football that I know have bought into the nonsense that La'El is a guard only by the 'experts.' Blows my mind. He's as sure an LSU Tiger entering the draft as I've ever seen. I missed on Dorsey (KC used him wrong, though to start), but La'El is a slam dunk can't-miss prospect, imo.

StaceyO and LSUDad like this.