LSU Pro Day

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by bhelmLSU, Mar 15, 2010.

1. LaSalleAve

LaSalleAve when in doubt, mumble

what the f is up with that? why do we have a bunch of pansies who can't lift weights, i thought that was one of the strengths of this program was the strength and condition. You know alot of people thought that the coach Moffit or whatever wasn't doing his job anymore, because this past season, we looked gassed, out of shape, cramping all the time, i thought they were morons, but this makes me wonder.

2. bhelmLSU

bhelmLSU Founding Member Staff Member

There is a difference between strength and muscle endurance and I assume this is why the bench is one of the least significant activities at the combine and pro days. Moffit focuses on what most S&C coaches focus on and that is quick burst of strength that is more useful in a college game or NFL game.

Very obscure test with varying results depending on multiple different factors. Someone like Trindon with short arms is going to get more reps than someone in equal size with longer arms. Chad Jones should have more reps no doubt but he has long arms. This is why you do not see bench reps being a major factor in draft analysis.

Chad Jones' downfall so far has been baseball which he should have downplayed more than he did but he should have also kept in the weight room during the baseball season to keep his endurance up because it makes him look lazier than he is.

3. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

i brought up after one of the games, i dont remember which one, that i was concerned that we had what seemed like a lot of players go down to cramps every game, where as the other team wouldnt have any, or only one or two. and i wondered about conditioning then. but got my ass jumped. then i wondered if it was something as small as the trainers not keeping they guys hydrated through out the week.

like legacy, i know we have what has been considered one of the best s and c programs in the country. but is there some small element missing?

im not pushing the panic button. its just making me wonder. again.

4. DRC

DRC TigerNator

Bench press is not the tell all number but it is an indicator we fail at consistently. Go and look at the combine thread in pro sports. I went back and looked at some of our numbers over the last few years and we always come up on the low end, bottom 5% mostly, for bench numbers.

Like you, I always thought our S&C program was one of the best but as it relates to bench press numbers we are really lacking.

The entire S&C program does not hinge on what our players do in the bench but when you are consistently out performed in that category it makes you wonder.

5. OkieTigerTK

OkieTigerTK Tornado Alley

that thread is what made me wonder. i was talking to a friend about it earlier. i even said i was gonna post something in the combine thread at the risk of getting my ass jumped. again. but then i saw this thread and decided to just get it jumped here instead. lol

6. LEGACY TIGER

LEGACY TIGER Defy Yourself

Ok, I can understand that, but does that mean that there isn’t a cause for concern or is this something that might be a tell that we should keep an eye on. I know you are saying that most coaches focus on strength, and I can see that being a main focus, but if this is the case why are our players doing worse than the other players at their positions. You see what I am saying. If the “strength” is the bigger concern of “most coaches”, how come the the players of these other coaches do better than ours.

Now, I can see if you have the depth at a given position that gives you an advantage over your opponents, then I can see strength could be the higher priority. If you have 3 guys who all are stronger that you can keep rotating against their 2 guys that can lift more reps, your 3 guys will physically wear their guys out. If that makes sense. Also I can see the philosophy of if our guys are stronger at the front end of a game that we can wear their guys out, but if they have enough depth to maintain fresh players, they will outlast us, if any of this makes sense. Again, I am not sure how this all really plays into things, especially since you bring up the point that it isn’t that big of a factor to NFL scouts. Maybe I am just making a mountain out of a mole hill or maybe it is something to keep an eye on, I am just not sure. I just think that there has got to be some correlation between these outcomes at the combine and pro day and our running out of gas in the 4th qtr over the past couple of seasons.

7. stevescookin

stevescookin Certified Who Dat

I've been waiting to see if anyone else posted this, but I heard on WWL radio yesterday that maybe Chad Jones was hurt last baseball season and that explained his bench press performance.

The comment came from one of the Baton Rouge TV sportscasters. I forgot his name and I wasn't sure if it was supposition or actual news. I wasn't paying rapt attention, but this guy used the phrase "It's not a well kept secret that..."

I didn't want to post it at first because it's a rumor, in my opinion, and could damage Chad's reputation...but it was said on the radio and no one challenged it. I was hoping that someone more knowledgeable about what was said would clarify and post.

Anyone know about this?

8. bhelmLSU

Forgive me if I do not address all the areas of your post.

Overall we are looking at very small sample of results from LSU's team and a very small number of guys out of college at the combine. This year we do not have many our workout warriors participating either unlike the past years. For example, like Quinn Johnson last year or Laron Landry.

Moffit has a strict program that he learned from the best weightlifting coach in the country and he does not favor guys adding or subtracting certain exercises which might not be enforced as much at other programs. But this is the same workout plan he has used since he arrived at LSU many years ago. Maybe some of the guys varied from the workout plan when Moffit was out from time to time battling cancer. I don't know.

Comparing DEs with DEs and DTs with DTs from around the country doesn't give an accurate picture. For Example, some of the DTs who put up incredible reps were the run stuffer massive DTs unlike Woods who is considered a quick/slasher DT. Both types of DTs are needed in the NFL and the same amount of reps between the 2 types will vary at each level of football. Same could be said for different types of LBs/S and even WRs.

Outside of bench reps, I don't see any areas for concern. Speed and agility looked good across the board. There are some outliers here and there but that is common.

Now if I started seeing some very slow times in cone drills or shuttles, etc... over a couple year span then I would be concerned. Those are the drills that are really significant when it comes to NFL quality players.

9. bhelmLSU

I don't recall any serious injuries but the baseball coaches wanted him to get his weight down last season and he basically avoided the heavy lifting for the most part. So unlike the full time football players he is not participating in Moffit's program year round which is likely one of the main reasons he is still playing trying to catch up.

10. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

Are the 40 times hand timed or electronic? As a rule of thumb, scouts add 0.1 seconds to hand-timed sprints for accuracy.

This would explain why so many of the D-Linemen were unable to punch and shed blocks, rendering them ineffective. It's very surprising to see because bench press is a very "glamorous" weight training exercise. Many guys if they don't do anything else, lift at the bench.