LSU Pulls the post-touchdown song...

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Carface, Sep 25, 2007.

1. khounba

khounba Founding Member

I guess LSU is going to pull the opposing teams player intro's too then. If they don't, then what is the point? They are telling them it's ok to say a player sucks, but not "You Suck"? I guess they also have to pull the Geaux Tigers cheer. Don't want them saying a$$. Might hurt somebody's feelings. The band is overreacting IMO.

2. LSUHotdog

LSUHotdog Founding Member

When I was at LSU in the early part of this decade the student section would always scream da da da da da da ********* ********* during Tiger Rag and yell kick their @$$ after 1st down was played.

I believe the oh we oh song is just when the bass drums and Tubas play that ominous and slow war drum song after the extra point is kicked and before the ensuing kickoff. I don't remember any words being inserted by the SS sot hat must be new.

Personally, I think it's classless and sets a bad example to the kids in the stadium. I make a point to not curse in front of little ones and that includes group chants. Then again, I don't think we should boo the other team when they run out onto the field, unless the kicker is on the field while the band is playing or something like that.

3. TennesseeTiger

TennesseeTiger Founding Member

This reminds me of the day I was walking through Walmart with my six-year-old son. Suddenly these three kids (they looked to be around 19-20; I'm 35, so they're kids to me) entered the aisle where we were. One of them was trying to carry several items and dropped one. The other kids laughed and he spewed forth words I'd hoped my son wouldn't hear until he was much older. When I suggested they might want to watch their language, the looks they gave me truly made me fear for our safety.

Of course, it made me remember something my grandmother always said...if you can't find other words to say, you must have very limited intelligence.

4. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

So where does this end? Remove the next song that the section finds that suits their needs? Then the next? The the next? Eventually you'll have all songs removed, then what? Do you think that they need musical instruments?

Will they tape over the student's mouths as they enter the stadium?

Quite possibly the most retarded thing I have ever heard of a school doing. It sounds like "Grumpy Old Men 3: Curmudgens Attack!" has been greenlighted in Hollywood South.

5. TheDude

TheDude I'm calmer than you.

Quite true and any students coming here proclaiming it is their right to be drunk and act stupidly at a public event, merely because they are young, sound just as dumb as the student section did on Saturday. If your only point is, "I am 18 and you can't tell me what to do", then I will immediately categorize you as a moron.

Most 18-21 year olds feel this way because for the most part, the world has not asked anything of them, and their parents still pay their way. Once they get placed in an unbending, unforgiving environment(the real world), they learn to sink or swim.

Being at a nationally televised game for a top football program thrusts all of us in that spotlight. If the students continue to insist upon being disruptive for no other reason than, "they can", then the people that drive this program(the $$), will insist on action. The football program is where it is because of the funding of the alums, not the paltry sums the students pay for their tickets.

Do you think these same students did similar cheers at their high school? No, there was fear of repercussion. Doesn't seem to exist in this case, so the University will eventually be forced to be more proactive .

1 person likes this.
  6. TennesseeTiger

Here's reality for you. In life, your decisions have consequences. I mean, why have cops? People are constantly finding new ways to steal, murder, etc. Shouldn't we just get rid of all laws so that everyone can do whatever they want to anyone?

1 person likes this.
  7. TennesseeTiger

Well said!

8. soupertiger

soupertiger Founding Member

Perfectly explained!

9. DarkHornet

DarkHornet Louisiana Sports Fan

There are consequences to actions. No one can stop the students from saying what they are going to say. But the band can choose to stop doing things that are being abused by the students. That's the band and university's choice. Now it's the students who need to "just get over it."

10. MFn G I M P

MFn G I M P Founding Member

I don't know anybody that condoned the FU Spurrier chant, the only real vulgar one. I, and apparently most students, see nothing wrong with the You suck, Cocks chants. Sure it was a double entendre but SC goes by the Cocks so they brought it on themselves. It's not like we are gonna chant that every single game, it was a one time occurence and wouldn't make sense against another team.