LSU scalpers

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by meauxjeaux2, Sep 23, 2007.

1. martin

martin Banned Forever

thats another great topic. they should be selling beer at the games. yes, it would result in a couple fights, but at least people would stop having to secret stuff in under their raincoats. and LSU would make MASSIVE profits. they could start a new cholarship fund for like five thousand needy kids just on beer money.

pro parks seem to be able to handle it.

2. MLUTiger

MLUTiger Secular Humanist

I have a hard time arguing against the laws of supply and demand. I also understand that just because I feel a certain way about something, the whole world doesn't have to share my view.

3. meauxjeaux2

meauxjeaux2 Founding Member

look,what gets to me the most is that the people that are doing this for the most part are doing it just for financial gain.They are clearly not tiger fans.I wonder if our friends on the bluff would appreciate a bunch of preppy guys coming over there ,buying up tickets at rock bottom prices,then jacking them up for their fans?Typical double standard in this world we live,ohh well ,i'm over it now.

4. kedo15

kedo15 Founding Member

they start early .... away from the stadium holding up signs saying "i need tickets".They buy them as people drive in to the stadium. Then they sell them on campus as the game time gets closer.

I really have no problem with what they are doing ...I just dont buy from them.

I never go to a game with tickets and ALWAYS get in at a reasonable price {face value or below}

Let me give you a few tips:
    1) Make sure you wear plenty of LSU stuff at Tiger Stadium.
    2) Go to the east side of the stadium near gate 11 and hold up your fingers for the number of tickets that you need.
    3) Do not start looking for tickets too early.About 50 minutes before kickoff is enough time.I usually find good seats at around a half hour to 20 minutes before game time.
    4) First question to someone when the approach you is not "how much are they?...it is WHERE are they?
    5) I turn down all tickets in upper deck ,all north end zone, and all south end zone tickets after the question ,Where are they?
    6)If you have a kid,it helps
    7) Do not panic if the number of fingers being held up by people who need tickets exceed the number of people holding up tickets for sale.
    8) Learn the stadium...know where the general location of the seats are when you look at the ticket. If the buyer is just a regular fan ,most will be honest with you about location...but you should know anyway.
    9) If location is okay ,proceed to discussion of price. How much do you want for them?
    10) Turn down anything over face value.I usually say something like...."those are good seats and you will probably get that for them but no thanks"
    11) Don't be a jerk.You are probably getting tickets from someone who is going to be seated next to you and is more concerned with how you act than how much he gets for the tickets.

And as far as the scalpers are concerned I had this interaction with one at last years Alabama Game.He had a wad of tickets,and it was getting pretty close to game time.He was doing a hard sell on me and I already had tickets and was just trying to improve my location . I went trough his entire wad of tickets saying ..."Those are in the upper deck ...no thanks" ..."those are in the north end zone ... no thanks" "thats a single "...i need 2 no thanks...."buddy, You dont have anything there worth buying" and just then this man walks up to me who has listened to my conversation with this scalper and says" I have 2 tickets in the chair back seats on the west sideline. They are my season tickets and are great seats ,but tonite i am in the suite.How much? I asked
    $45 for both he responded.....The scalper shook his head and walked off.

5. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

It's not an LSU rule to not sell alcohol, it's an NCAA rule.

6. BostonBengal

BostonBengal Founding Member

I like your approach.

Outside of perhaps 2 games, have I ever had to pay more than face value--the most recent being the VT game (and for the sake of embarrassing myself, I won't divuldge how much I actually spent on them), but I didn't mind paying more than the face value because:

1. It was my 30th birthday
    2. With my wife expecting our first child in early Nov., I won't be able to risk driving down from Atlanta for any of the other games later in the year
    3. I paid higher priced early because I wasn't going to make the 8 hour drive from Atlanta without guarantee that I had a ticket

Normally, you're correct, 9 out of 10 times, you CAN scalp a ticket before game time and get in at a reasonable price...it's just that one other time...

7. martin

martin Banned Forever

true, i forgot that part. nevertheless, i think they are missing out on some big profits that would make almost everyone happy. they could have a special section for prudes who hate drunks. as it stands now, all sections are inhabited by drunks, in spite of the ban.

8. TyrusIsMyHero12

TyrusIsMyHero12 Founding Member

I have never bought from scalpers and have heard that it has helped some people but I am a little hesitate for this reason: The scaplers seem to often like to trade tickets. I have heard several incidents where people have traded tickets with scalpers to get a better seat or location and the ones that they received were either fake or had already been scanned.

Anyone else heard of this?

9. scaill1

scaill1 Founding Member

It's not a NCAA rule because their are several College Football stadiums that sell beer during the games.

10. macatak911

macatak911 CRAIG STELTZ = BEAST

I generally don'y like buying/selling from scalpers on gameday.

Selling - Had a bunch extra in Starkville this year and that's the only way I was going to get rid of them.

Buying - RARELY do I buy from a scalper. Too scared of the "stolen" factor. Only exceptions are the NCG where I paid 600 for a single. Best money ever spent. Kept wondering up until they scanned it if it was legit. Other time was this year at a Rockies @ Nats game in DC. Couldn't pass up $35 lower level home plate tickets.