LSU Schedule

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by DeathValley, Jan 22, 2003.

1. DeathValley

DeathValley Founding Member

What's the deal with the 7 home game thing. I think that fans would not care if we played 7 home games if we sceduled better non conference games. Next year Florida only has 6 home games amd they play Miami and FSU. We could still make money though for not having a 7th home game. How about a series with say A&M at a netural site, Houston. We could get a corporate sponsors like they have for the Texas -OU game and split the stadium down the middle 0-50. This would create appeal andinterest in the game. More money could be made on t-shirts and what not. This idea would make the fans happy and the school would still get money.

2. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

That idea doesn't really appeal to me, I like 7 home games...but why not just schedule a better quality opponent and still play 7 at home. I'm tired of the multiple rent-a-wins...one "Citadel" a season is enough.

3. DeathValley

Most quality oppenents want to play at least a home and home series. This would mean have to play the opponent on the road during one season here by taking away 1 of our home games and we would have 6. The only way this would work is if the NCAA goes to a 13 game schedule for good.

4. dplsu

dplsu Founding Member

I'm well aware of home and away series. But there are still quality teams out there you could get to fill the 7th spot. Top 20 teams would be tough to get without a home and away series, but the second 20 is possible...the BYU's, Colorodo State's, Texas Tech's, etc....Hey, I would love to see Fresno state come here. They regularly travel without a home and away series and they would be much better game than La Monroe and the likes. In fact, they travel to Tennessee in 2003 without a home and away agreement.

You can't compare the Texas-OU series to us either. We have no real rival like UT-OU that would support this. As well as we travel, it would still never make the money that a 7th home game draws.

5. GasMan

GasMan Founding Member

I agree with dplsu. A non-conference home opponent doesn't have to be The Citadel. We could schedule some of the bottom feeders from, say the Pac-10 or the Big East or ACC, and it would look a lot better than ULM or Troy State. Sometimes it's not easy to get all excited about going to some of these games.

6. GasMan

GasMan Founding Member

Yeah, I know, The Citadel was a last-minute fill-in.

7. DeathValley

What is it with us and the MAC conference. First Bowling Green backed out of their game now it looks like Marshall will back out. We need to disassociate with this conference now. At least we got to play Miami of Ohio.

8. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

The entire Athletic Department budget is based on 7 homes games. They lose millions when they have to drop to six (which has only happened once in recent memory).

6 home games = higher ticket prices.

9. Ellis Hugh

Ellis Hugh Space Wrangler

We might be searching for another 1-A or 1-AA team to fill when Marshall pulls out.

10. LawAg03

LawAg03 Freshman

Howdy, new to this forum. The A&M/LSU series probably would not be renewed this year. A&M has a Thursday night game against Virginia Tech in Blacksburg after that Saturday. We would probably have to wait a couple years before that game could be put on the schedule.

I don't think it would be scheduled at a neutral site like Houston either. I think it would be awesome to kick off the year with the game at Reliant, but I don't think either school wants to schedule away from their home stadiums, which seat much more than Reliant does.