LSU scrimmage observations

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by ledfoot, Apr 17, 2004.

1. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

LOL...We won with the longball, eh, lilcrawdad? Suuuuuuure...

We excelled via an outstanding performance by an outstanding offensive line, a running game that found its identity around the same time as the rest of our team did, and with a quarterback who minimized mistakes, managed the game well, got the team to the line on time, and allowed the receivers to make plays after they got the ball.

To say that Matt Mauck was a "deep threat" last year is a complete joke. You have NO crediblity whatsoever. Matt Mauck never was-and will never be remembered as-a "long ball threat".

Now, Devery Henderson and Michael Clayton will be remembered as receivers who were-along with Josh Reed-some of the best YAC receivers our school has ever seen.

Matt Mauck had-at BEST-average arm strength. Nothing special. The man knew the offense, knew his team, leaned on his knowledge of the playbook and his team around him to bring an efficient game on Saturday's. He sure as hell didn't depend on that right arm.

I say this with all due respect and admiration for Matt Mauck. I appreciate the job he did last year probably moreso than many people, because I was never sold on Mauck after 2002. But, to say that we depended on the long ball is ludicrous...

2. StaceyO

StaceyO Football Turns Me On

I wouldn't catagorize the '03 Tigers as a long-ball team, either. We were balanced very well and could be a threat in many different areas. Hopefully, we can maintain and surpass that level. There were certainly times when I was thankful our defense was there to bail us out.

3. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

#1 JV came on midway through the season the run game was suspect up to that point.
    #2 the passing game was there from game 1
    #3 I said 40, 50 yard bombs, are you saying that Mauck didn't hook-up any 40, 50 yard bombs last year? And that other teams didn't respect LSU's deep threat? You make Mauck sound like Danny Smurfel. I think Mauck has a stronger arm then Wourfel. Give the guy some long ball credit.

4. red55

red55 curmudgeon Staff Member

Nick said he was happy with his defensive line and was moving Melvin Oliver from DE to tackle to replace Lavalais and that Pitman would start at DE in place of Hill. Now, these guys are talented but they won't hit the ground in September and look like Lavalais and Hill right off the bat. It will take them some time to develop their game and we will have to be patient. I think Spears and Williams will be the monsters inside this year.

Nick also mentioned that Brian West was working at DE instead of OLB this spring and that he was looking good. Also

5. olVENICEdog

olVENICEdog Founding Member

right on

6. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

I did give him credit, and I am saying that Matt Mauck never threw a pass in his ENTIRE LSU CAREER that went more than 40 yards through the air. I will also say that Mauck was never-and WILL NEVER BE-considered a long ball threat, nor were we a long ball team last year.

Defensive backs respected us because we had two top round draftpicks at the wideouts, a dynamic slot man in Skyler, and an offensive line that would provide two things:

1.) Time for the quarterback to find them.
    2.) Time for the wideouts to get open.

Neither of these important aspects had nothing to do with Mauck. They had to do with the offensive line. Again, Mauck is credited with running the most efficient offense in the modern history of the school. But, he is no long ball threat, nor was LSU considered a long ball threat. At ANY TIME in ANY GAME last year, non conference or otherwise.

If you want to talk about strong armed quarterbacks at LSU in the Saban Era, talk about Booty/Nall/Davey/Randall/Russell (perhaps Flynn). Matt Mauck was not a strong armed quarterback, and the LSU offense was totally NOT predicated on the long ball, and, to some extent, even the intermediate passing game.

Sorry, but you were watching a different offense last year.

7. cajdav1

cajdav1 Soldiers are real hero's

Actually, last year I was kind of surprised how few long passes LSU threw, especially early in the game, just to kind of make the defense think about it. I would have loved to see them go deep to one of the guys and have Skyler and Devery show their speed in order to back the D-backs up a little. Can't argue with the results though and Jimbo certainly knows much more than I do.

8. houtiger

houtiger Founding Member

Say ledfoot,

Thanks a LOT for the post! Us poor exiled Tiger Fans (I'm in Houston) don't get any info on LSU over here.