LSU second best?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by galvestontiger, Oct 4, 2003.

1. galvestontiger

galvestontiger Freshman

Did ya'll just hear that bastard on ESPN declare again that LSU is the second team in the SEC (behind georgia)? Come on already!!! Sure we didn't drive Georgia into the ground, but we put on a solid performance and most importantly....won the game. When will the respect finally come. In the beginning the excuse was thst we hadn't played anyone decent yet. Then the Georgia game was somehow overlooked. Now folks are starting to hint that the Florida game will be meaningless since they wont be ranked. What do we have to do to get any respect?

2. TigerEducated

TigerEducated Founding Member

What we need to do is come to work each day at the Ponderosa, and strap our helmets on, and put in a hard day's concentration and hard work...

If we do that, and we show up prepared on Saturday's, not even Trev Alberts can deny us.

3. NOSA

NOSA Founding Member

Personally I don't have a problem with this like most do. We played a Georgia team without Gibson and Watson who are big parts of the offense and I believe a RB was out. Yeah we still won and maybe we still would have even if those players played, who knows. What I have a problem with is people saying Georgia losing was a fluke because of the dropped balls and missed field goals like we didn't have dropped balls and mistakes.

4. rania

rania Founding Member

I have a problem with that. Why doen'st anyone even hint that maybe, just maybe we might have caused Georgia's problems?
    They missed the fgs because we stopped them from scoring TDs at the end of drives that began on our side of the field. Their receivers dropped passes because we were harrassing them, other passes went astray because we deflected them.

5. SEN

SEN Founding Member

It's like this:

LSU will win games this season because Nick Saban is the best coach in the conference. He has preached the 60 minute "rule since his hiring, granted not all his teams bought into it, but I think its fair to say that this one has.

The Tigers, and Tiger Fans believed in the 60-minute mentality at the UGA game, the stadium got LOUDER after uga scored. That used to deflate Tiger Stadium. Recent examples: UGA '98, Bama '98, Mississippi state 2000, the past decade of florida games...

Our mentality has changed completely.

In the eighties folks loved to say that Miami was like a professional program. I think those of us that follow LSU closely see that the Tigers are starting to see what they were talking about, The Tigers are starting to appear very professional. The players on the team are players of character, they don't need a "win one for the gipper" pep talk before a big game, they don't need a "lets' get our heads in tehg ame" at the halftime of a game with an undermatched opponent. Each player knows their roll, and the concept of TEAM is so strong that they don't want to be the link in the chain that breaks.

It's an atmosphere of Pride, Team and Professionalism that I don't see in any other SEC program, and very few other college programs.

I doubt Nick Saban cares what rally-monkeys in suits in some yankee studio think about LSU. If they like us and florida wins next saturday their endorsement is moot. If they don't like us and we win, so what?

6. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

My problem is the media's oft repeated:

"Georgia won although they outplayed LSU"

Yea Georgia outplayed us... for a quarter and a half. They were dominanat through much of the first and second quarters. I propped the by tipping my cap to their defensive effort. They looked like the better team with 5:00 to go in the first half. The stats were in their favor big time.

But what about the other half and then some of the game. Did we not dominate? Our DL whipped their OL. Our offense wasn't always flashy, but we won at the line of scrimmage.

Back to the defense. Our guys made UGA's offense look positively silly for nearly the entire second half. If not for the most beautiful screen play I may have ever seen, UGA doesn't even sniff a scoring opportunity for the final half of the ball game.

UGA is a very good team. I hope we face them again in the SECCG, because they are the class of the east. They will not be an easy team to beat. They will beat the Vols and every other team on their SEC schedule IMO. But we weren't lucky to beat them.

BTW, I haven't heard UGA fans say that they outplayed us. Only national media types that are not ready to consider LSU ready for prime time just yet.

7. Tiger Trey

Tiger Trey Founding Member

Correction:

My problem is the media's oft repeated:

"Georgia LOST although they outplayed LSU"

8. ramah

ramah Founding Member

It's about time you said it ... I've been saying it since August.

This is the year.

Auboob needs to take out Arky too .... LSU moves as high as #3 and now worse than #5 next week after a win over Florida.

Okla loses to Texas ... we hope
    Miami loses to FSU ... probable
    OSU loses to Wisc ... we hope

Geaux tigers