LSU Softball

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by Tiger Exile, May 17, 2015.

1. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Ya know, those Cali girls tend to be liberal. Southern, on the other hand, conservative: they don't waste a thing.

To put that in today's English...one spits, the other swallows. Deduction is now up to you.

Bengal B likes this.
  2. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

"Recent studies have shown that the forces produces by the windmill pitching motion is similar to the baseball pitching motion and does take a toll on a softball pitcher’s arm." Did you miss that part on my link provided?

I understand I'm not going to change your mind but there are many who disagree. Definitely not "FAR" less. I know of too many kids who had to sit out parts of seasons are stop pitching altogether due to arm injuries.

It's relatively new compared to baseball. Even baseball used to have much looser standards. Nolan Ryan threw over 200 in a game before. Little league used to be regulated by number of innings until a few years back when pitch counts came in. Softball will eventually follow suit.

Look how long football has been played and only recently the research is showing how bad it is on the brain.

3. LSUTiga

LSUTiga TF Pubic Relations

Just heard announcer of UCLA/Missouri game say 41 kids from PAC10 country are on SEC teams.

TerryP likes this.
  4. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Great thread.

There's the issue I see being missed by some. As this thread has progressed, I've read around the 'net on different aspects of this conversation. One thing I notice a few days ago ere the records recorded (NCAA.org) and in this case *most innings pitched in a row.* That happened in 2005. As I looked through the records I continually noticed the majority of the dates were 2005 or earlier.

Monica Abbot pitched IN 69 games in 2005.
    The most innings pitched was in May of 1991.
    In 1985, in a season, a girl pitched 434.3 innings.

Those are three big numbers in the game. Abbot's? How much of that is influenced by the difference in the number of games in a season.

Back to the point of the thread: (There's another issue here that's interesting as well.)

Nebraska Orthopaedic Hospital has a page on pitching counts, how old someone needs to be, and how many times kids are pitching a game. Their numbers have it around 700 a week by using 5-7 games a week, 90-100 pitches per game.

The report went on to talk about the rehab portion of their treatment and they were working with just as many softball pitchers in rehab for injury as they were for surgery. At this particular time of the report the number 20 sticks out to me.

FWIW, in the UA vs OU series this weekend, UA threw 377 pitches in three days and Osorio had 365 of them. OU's Parker three all three days, all three games, and her total was 316. (23 hits in three games combined. Geez.)

LSUTiga likes this.
  5. furduknfish

furduknfish #ohnowesuckagain

Wish I could quit you.

6. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I should have quit you, babe, a long time ago. But when you squeeze my lemon, you make the juice run down my leg.

7. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

8. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

shane0911 and TerryP like this.
  9. uscvball

uscvball Founding Member

I had to look just to make sure but yea, we don't do that. I have to think that it wouldn't last long. It's as bitter a rivalry as I have seen. But you won't see any conference flags hanging in Pauley Pavilion either.

There has been a shift...and with some explanation as well. Out of the SEC teams in the CWS; Tennessee has 5 CA players including their #1 pitcher, Florida has 6 from CA and their #1 pitcher is from AZ, LSU has 5 from CA and your #2 (I think) Walljasper is from CA, Auburn has just 2 from CA and 2 from AZ, Bama has just 2. As a side note, Michigan is the other non-West Coast team in there and they have 6 from CA including their #1 pitcher.

Very important to note and what is behind some of that shift is coaching. Karen and Ralph Weekly who co-coach for Tennessee are both from the West Coast. Karen graduated from Pacific Lutheran and Ralph from ASU. Florida's head coach Tim Walton, is from Cerritos, CA, and Auburn's head coach Clint Myers, arrived just 2 years ago after 8 years and two NC's at ASU. The talent and the knowledge behind rec league development and travel team coordination and tournaments started out here and has migrated. At some point, with a huge talent pool, the talent is spread among several travel teams and teams are watered down. You can see the same thing with soccer, volleyball, lacrosse, etc. CA teams often lose to teams from AZ, Florida, Oregon, etc because their "A" teams are REALLY good, stuffed with the best of the best and only 1 or 2 teams available per region.

I have to think it's a good thing to see competitive sports become a national thing so that more girls can compete. But I also realize this is a sensitive issue with Title IX having hit so many boy's sports negatively.

LSUTiga and TerryP like this.
  10. TerryP

TerryP Founding Member

Furks comment ignores Murphy's roots...Gerard