lsu sports fans, does anything besides football really matter?

Discussion in 'The Tiger's Den' started by snorton938, Mar 19, 2004.

1. ScottyB28

ScottyB28 Founding Member

Well if you've been a fan for over 30 years, you should know that its not only football that people care about. To me your not much of a fan.

2. TigerTahoe

TigerTahoe Freshman

Damn right you chose the wrong words. I'm beginning to think you chose the wrong colors as well....

3. Geekboy

Geekboy Founding Member

Interesting

Football is king. Years ago I had basketball in the lead but not now and not for quite sometime.

All other sports just can't suck enough when compared to college football period.

While we're at it.........what about hockey? If they totally banned any fighting in hockey how many fans would it pull?

Same with Nascar. If they made crash proof cars would anybody watch?

No. Of course not.

In football if they found a way to stop injuries all the better. Maybe it would draw more fans.

Forget it. Nothing compares to college football.

4. snorton938

snorton938 Founding Member

well i will try to be more of an overall fan.....but don't go there on the swim team with me dawg.....i'd rather watch paint dry then watch people swimming up and down a pool....later.

5. j0nathanr0y

j0nathanr0y Founding Member

I totally agree...I didn't mean for the post to seem bashful towards you either...I just feel maybe you can spread some love to some other LSU sports as well. I agree, I'd much rather watch LSU football than any other sports too.

Lets leave it at this....

....GEAUX TIGERS!

6. Goodlifetiger

Goodlifetiger Founding Member

Football, baseball and basketball are all great sports. Girls basketball is ok.

7. TGer'nLHornLand

TGer'nLHornLand Founding Member

Big Three matter... Winning Matters

Just joined and am coming to the party late, but there is some truth to statement that "Winning is King"...

I think in the last few years, with Saban's rapid rise to greatness, it's easy to see how LSU's football is all that people want to talk about. But, at one time, Dale Brown was the biggest LSU sports celebrity and Skip was the same at some time in baseball. I will say, I actually live for LSU football and basketball probably equally, and at one point, was a bigger basketball fan than football fan. The problem in recent years is that Saban so greatly overshadows Brady and Laval as the MAN in the Big Three sports, and the departure of Skip is still leaving a little bit of baseball fans wondering, and so most fans are still basking in football euphoria and some like me, are longing for the same success in basketball. That being said, soak in this March Madness, and tell me that college basketball isn't everybit as exciting and at the pinnacle of college sports. March Madness is awesome and I hope that soon LSU fans can have that kind of passion for basketball again.

Ultimately, LSU fans are supportive of and like winners... I watch LSU track if it's on (usually it's a national championship of some sort). I think that women's basketball is worth supporting. Sometimes, there's a golf or tennis team worth supporting... Just win baby.

8. tiger fan 2001

tiger fan 2001 Founding Member

I do have more passion for LSU football. But I tell you I have made the last 2 home meets for gymnastics and these girls are good. It also gives me something to go and see with my daughter. Great talent as a team with one of the girls winning SEC gymnist of the year. They are competing in the regonals April 2 and am looking foward to seeing the tigers win.

OH did I mention while I was at the PMAC for the meet against Ohio St. I went and saw the Crystal Football.. It's all good and fun for the entire family.

9. LSUsupaFan

LSUsupaFan Founding Member

For me it is a tie between Sundays at the Box and Saturday nights in Death Valley. I also travel with football and baseball regularly. I go to men's basketball every chance I get, but it does not kill me to miss a home game. I have been to very few away games. I love women's gymnastics (I was a gymnast for tne years). I also love swimming. I went to the SECs this year and saw Martinec break the SEC backstroke record. I was also a swimmer and coached a swim team. I went to high school with Daniel Trosclaire who is an All-American pole vaulter, so I go watch him jump.

For me alot of sports really do matter.

I rank them
    Football/Baseball
    Gymnastics
    Basketball
    Swimming
    Track

10. Bengal B

Bengal B Founding Member

I know what you mean. The only time I ever watch swimming is during the Olympics and even then only to root for the USA.

I love both basketball and baseball but not as much as football.

Track? See Swimming above

Gymnastics? More like a circus exhibition than a sporting event.

Women's basketball? I'll root for them and if they make it to the Final Four I might even watch on TV if I don't have anything else to do. I watch basketball to see players do things I was never able to do. 360 degree helicopter dunks from the free throw line, Playing the game above the rim; great crossover dribbles and on and on. No knock against the girls but from the time I was in high school until I was almost 40 I played a lot of basketball and there were a lot of guys including myself who would have been one of the better women's players in the world had we been inclined to undergo a certain surgical procedure that pains me to even think about.

If the NCAA really wants to come up with a sport to rival the popularity of football they should start having NCAA sponsored motorsports. Most of the NASCAR superspeedways and NHRA drag strips are sitting idle except for a couple of weekends a year so it wouldn't be hard to get good venues for the races. Teams could accept sponsorship money from whoever but the cars and engines would have to be designed and built by the students teams. It would be good experience for the mechanical engineering departments.
    Imagine the excitement of the LSU purple and gold Tony Chacheie's Monte Carlo trading paint with the University of Florida GatorAide Taurus while the LSU Tony Chacherie drivers teamate tries to move his Boudreaux's Butt Paste Dodge past the potential Big One at 200 miles per hour.